PDA

View Full Version : Question about copyright

Bringer
05-07-2005, 08:18 PM
Hi,

I would like to know if can practice by trying to imitate paintings from old masters. I don't know if those paintings, being that old, are protected by some kind of copyright. But I suppose not.
Of course I'm not talking of falsification.
This would be a good way of practicing, especially when not feeling very inspired, I suppose.
Thank you in advance.

Regards,

Bringer

HarvestMoon
05-07-2005, 09:03 PM
It is my understanding that works or art, photos, computer code, etc. are protected by copyright rather automatically. But it is also my understanding that every art student tries to copy art- whether from the old masters, in workshops, in museums, art from websites, etc. in order to study how a technique was produced, or why an effect was there. For example- why on earth did the artist put a blue line next to that brown tree? When you copy the picture, you see that the blue enhances the brown. I think the only time there would be a real problem would be if you try to sell the art that was copyrighted. I have been told that if your art is not exactly like the original, it is ok to sell- or titled 'cedar tree after rembrant' or whatever. Please don't take this as legal advice, but I read about copyrights a few years ago and this was my understanding. Everyone I know has tried to do Starry Night in all sorts of mediums, but we all know we are not Van Gough!

Bringer
05-07-2005, 09:16 PM
Hi Purples.

Thank you for your answer.
I know that for insteance, some poems from a portuguese writer, lost their copyright after making over 50 years he died.
When I say that lost copyright, I mean they can be copied and published without authorization.
Of course no one can say it's their's.
Hope I was eluciditive :)

Regards,

Bringer

HarvestMoon
05-07-2005, 09:33 PM
Well, you are probably correct- I remember Richard Bach wrote a number of books and someone else managed to buy the copyright after it expired (he was still living). And I think - sorry to mention this- Michael Jackson owns the copyrights to many of the Beatles works... so I think we need a copyright lawyer here- HELP!