PDA

View Full Version : A Flower in her hair

Mikey
05-07-2005, 06:38 AM
This is my first blocking out and no colour decisions have been made here. I was thinking of a red robe with some pink highlights with a pink flower having some red to balance the low placing of the head on the canvas. However, I am taken with the gold mixed from Cad Red and Cad Lemon. I'm thinking about my next show with this one. I'll see.

Mikey

Edit: as you can see the low odour solvent is working very well.

Anita Murphy
05-07-2005, 07:22 AM
Oh Mikey I like this one already!!! I love the colours you have used in the underpainting - think a more delicate robe would be super - more in keeping with the way her head appears to be submissive - does that make any sense at all? With the rosy gold background and maybe a white flower? But what do I know!!! :D

Mikey
05-07-2005, 07:48 AM
Hi KA, I'm just a bit excited about this one. I'm working on the darks in her face at the moment. Many thanks.

Mikey

gurleygirl
05-07-2005, 09:35 AM
Mikey, this is going to be gorgeous. Well, it is already!
Tracey

marsva
05-07-2005, 11:53 AM
Hi Mikey,
This is just beautiful already! It will be so fun to watch it come together. I love the way the cad red and cad lemon create that golden glow.
My poor ghostly self portrait has been sitting on the easel staring at me for several days... I tip toe by it so it doesn't grab me because I just don't have the time right now to spend on it. I'm sure watching your "A Flower in her hair" painting will help me end up with a better painting of my own. I'll be watching every chance I get! She is really beautiful! :clap:

Mikey
05-07-2005, 03:56 PM
Thanks Tracey, I'm loving doing this one.

Thanks Mars, I appreciate your comments. As for that self portrait, I encourage you not to struggle with it. Be in the mood, relax and enjoy the paint and then accept what comes. Trying hard may produce more accuracy, but the results are usually too tight.

I need to adjust my pallete somewhat here and use my usual Raw Sienna, or Yellow Ochre. So far I've mostly been using a size 16 bright hog. This would normally be my local colour stage.

Mikey

Edit: 16 x 20 inches, oils

marsva
05-07-2005, 05:39 PM
Mikey, are you working with a live model or a photo? She is so lovely! You really captured her grace already.
Thanks for the suggestion on my self portrait. I know you are so right about just relaxing and enjoying it. I wish I had the time right now to just get into it. That is why it is standing untouched for the time being. The weeds are taking over and the garden is not even planted!! I hope to steal some time soon that I can have uninterupted time to enjoy it. I know what you mean about how it can get too tight and that seems to happen to me. I hope I can avoid that this time. Thanks so much for your encouragement.
I do so enjoy watching your painting!! :clap:

Mikey
05-07-2005, 06:03 PM
Thanks again for your kind comments Mars.

I have found that all of those little undone mundane jobs had way of dragging me back, nagging somewhere at the back of my mind. I think this has to spoil our creativity and effectiveness. When I'm right up to date with the jobs and bills I feel secure and much happier in front of the easel.

Mikey

Edit: I forgot to say, if Bouguereau has been an influence for me, I'm now having a good like at the Chinese Realists. My next job will be to establish the darks with the right colours. Oh, I forgot, how I should love to have a live model like this. I'm using several photo references to create something of my own.

laketrees
05-07-2005, 10:29 PM
Hi Mikey...this is looking quite beautiful......the face looks ethereal....obviously the experimentation is paying off.....
know what you mean about all the little things that get in the way of painting....LOL
cheers kim

Mikey
05-07-2005, 11:27 PM
Hi Kim, I've suddenly entered a world of colour where I have little experience in paint. Colour has been quite secondary to what I've been doing. Now it seems to be vitally important.

Mikey

Marysa
05-08-2005, 02:26 AM
This is going to be beautiful :clap: :clap:

Mikey
05-08-2005, 06:57 AM
Thanks Mary, I'm trying to allow my creativity a little more room.

Mikey

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-May-2005/28043-flowers_in_her_hair_4.jpg

Anita Murphy
05-08-2005, 08:37 AM
Mikey - this is superb! Really fabulous! It glows, the palette you used is perfect!

Mikey
05-08-2005, 09:15 AM
Many thanks Anita, I've just put this one on Open Critques.

Mikey