PDA

View Full Version : Raise Your Hand If U Want So.Wst. WC Get Together

Trilby
05-06-2005, 10:15 PM
Over on the Great Americans thread we have strayed a bit from GAs to fantasizing about a regional get together. Now we want to stop fantasizing and make it happen. It might take a while and a little work to make it happen but no reason we can't do it..
It has been folk in the South West part of our country that are talking about this so for now we are making this a South West get together.
We have discussed a camp out. Also collectively renting a condominium.
The first step is to see who is interested. I or someone will locate these folk on a map and eventually superimpose a circle with a diameter of 1400 miles centered on whatever meeting place will work. That way no one will be more than 700 miles driving time away. Nothing to prevent folk further away from traveling to join us by other means. Other details such as where when, etc. will be worked out as we have more information.
The idea is to meet, show our real live art work, AND to paint together, indoors and outdoors, make new friendships, and deepen existing ones.
I'm thinking SW, includes Calif. Nev. Utah, Colo, Nmex, Az, parts of Tex and parts of Idaho and WYo.

SO-O-O Raise those hands and chime in if interested.
TJ

Khadres
05-06-2005, 10:49 PM
Depending on where, when, and what else is going on in my life at the time, I'd be interested.

IndigoRed
05-06-2005, 11:37 PM
A couple places you mentioned we might wanna hook up at is close to me, but im afraid not close enough unless i carpool with someone going in the direction of the agreed apon state.......so i am very interested in joining in......put my name on the list, and like sooz, we will see what is going on about that time......dont know if you would want to choose a state that is in "Tornado Alley" tho, because this time of year is when the bad stuff starts hittin.........Fall in the SW is perfect ( i think) time to get together, not to hot, or to cold.....beautiful scenery...wonderful time to drink coffees and lattes.....oooops, kinda drifted off into fantasy there lol....sigh. ......just let me know ;)

Steph.......

P.S....My hubby is the General Manager Assist. at Yellow cab for Oklahoma, he knows of all trasportation in all the surrounding states (and then some) so if that can be of any help...let me know, and ill sweet talk him for us ;)

CM Neidhofer
05-07-2005, 12:40 AM
Another Coloradan here. I'd be interested!

Christine

bogbeast
05-07-2005, 02:30 AM
Well, if I can carpool with someone or something, derpending on where and when, I'm interested. The Bay area may be out of your range, though...

Piper Ballou
05-07-2005, 02:51 AM
I would have to see when and where, but interested.
Piper

Westerngirl
05-07-2005, 10:34 AM
Me, too! Sounds like lots of fun.

Trilby
05-08-2005, 01:58 AM
So far we have Calif. Colo, Ariz, New Mexico, Oklahoma and Kyle from N. Carolina represented with their hands up. Looks like we may make this happen. Seems the center may turn out to be in Utah or Arizona. Start thinking of where you would like to do this.
AND the rest of you chime in if you are interested in joining us.
TJ

Westerngirl
05-08-2005, 09:50 PM
Very pretty places to paint in Utah and Arizona. Sedona? Bryce Canyon?

Guess we need to talk about whether we would pay for lodging or camp. Any preferences?

Deborah Secor
05-08-2005, 10:53 PM
I'd like to be able to join you, too--a lot depends on where/when you end up. S. Colorado, W. Arizona, or E. New Mexico might work for me. There's some pretty spectacular landscape in the Four Corners area... There are some incredible spots on the Navajo nation... Monument Valley or the Slot Canyons...oooo, how about Canyon de Chelly? (http://www.americansouthwest.net/arizona/canyon_de_chelly/national_monument.html) (check out the pix!)

I'm an old lady and camping just hurts too much anymore, I'm afraid. I favor a room and a shower, although I'm willing to drive distances. I'm into modestly priced places and even McDonalds--nothing fancy or expensive--and I'm adaptable. I like to paint near my car.

Sooo, my hand is up, too. When are you sorta thinking of this? If you do it in 2006 we might roll the Art Materials Expo into the deal, which is going to be here in Albuquerque I hear. We're 'airport' close, at least. Cheap fares to NM some times of the year...

Deborah

CM Neidhofer
05-08-2005, 11:17 PM
I agree with Deborah. My idea of roughing it these days is no ice in the ice machine! I really like the idea of the four corners area as well. My two cents worth anyway.

Christine

Trilby
05-09-2005, 01:26 AM
Motel camping is agreeable to me. I like taking my camping van because the dog can join in, but not everyone has a motor home, trailer or van so motel or condo makes sense. The ideas on location are sounding good. Keep the ideas coming. Deb, rolling this in with the Expo could be real nice, but that means a year's wait, but it could take that long to get the details worked out too. I'm encouraged. I think we will make this happen and won't that be fun

Keep raising those hands and sending in ideas.
TJ

Trilby
05-10-2005, 02:28 AM
OK, we've got interest. Keep the ideas coming.
TJ

Khadres
05-10-2005, 09:57 AM
I'm for anywhere as long as it's not too hot...I melt easy these days! And I'm with Deb...the closer to the car for painting, the better! Also, wimpy as it sounds, I'm MUCH happier with a bona fide restroom access...bushes don't do much for bad knees! :D If I had my 'druthers, I'd opt for someplace that's not totally brown and dry, too, but let's face it...I'm probably doomed if it's truly Southwest.

Karen Margulis
05-10-2005, 10:13 AM
Can us southerners join in????? I live in Georgia but I love the Southwest! I just did a 10 day Southern Utah tour in January and I am always looking for a good excuse to return. I'd love to meet and paint with everyone! :p
Karen

Trilby
05-10-2005, 03:43 PM
Karen, kyle's from the South too, NC, I think. Of course you and everyone is welcomed to join in, the more the merrier! I'm thinking the meeting place will be in the SouthWest region, but all are welcome. This makes me think we need to locate near a place with an airport. Sooz, surely you know the South West is filled with color, albeit dry, although there are many mountainous regions as well, there's even water in places. All but summer are glorious seasons. And where there are monsoon rains the summer is beautiful! All those clouds and shadows to paint, wonderful lighting.
TJ

Kathryn Day
05-10-2005, 03:58 PM
Hi, I somehow missed this thread. I live in Gallup in the four corners area. I would be interesed depending on where, when, etc. I'll keep up with this thread now.

Trilby
05-14-2005, 03:51 AM
I've got a major project going right now, but soon, I'll check out some possible locations and post on what I find out. I looks like a good group of interested folk.
TJ

Mikki Petersen
05-17-2005, 02:11 PM
As we travelled the southwest last year, we noticed a number of motels that also had RV accomodations. If enough people were interested in this we might be able to work something out with one of these places and get group rates or something. John and I would be bringing our travel trailer. I hate motel rooms! Canyon de Chelly is a great idea, so is Moab Utah with Canyonlands, Arches and the Colorado River. Talk about great scenery! Also, the Colorado Springs area is gorgeous! They offer Pike's Peak, Garden of the Gods, and wonderful scenic areas all around. Not to mention the whole north western end of New Mexico, and then there's the Flagstaff/Sedona area with the Grand Canyon near by... Anyway, I vote for the high desert where the temperatures are more moderate during the warm months. Old ladies don't take the heat well...

Oh, guess my hand is also raised :D

Mikki

Khadres
05-17-2005, 02:55 PM
Is there anywhere around Taos like that, Mikki? I LOVE that area and it stays relatively cool in summer. What about a ski condo that rents out in the summer months? Some of those areas do RVs as well. And just think, with Taos we could do gallery crawls in the evenings to get inspiration! Well, could do that other places too, but I just like Taos a lot. It's not totally dry either, with an occassional stream, etc.

Deborah Secor
05-17-2005, 03:52 PM
I'd vote for Taos too. It's soooooo gorgeous up there and with the rains it's apparently a wonderful year. Lots of water...lots of streams running right now that usually don't. Seriously, you can open your door, set up your easel and paint in any direction! We've stayed at the Motel 6 (or one of those less expensive chain motels...can't remember which) and I kept thinking all I had to do was set up outside the door. I found a live web cam: see Taos Mountain (Wheeler Peak) (http://www.taoswebcam.com/)

Of course, there's always the Ghost Ranch, in the same area where Georgia O'Keffee painted, near Abiquiu (say AB-ik-que). We could camp, sleep in dorms, or have private rooms... Check out the rooms and rates here. (http://www.ghostranch.org/abiquiu/lodging.php) Then click on the postcards link! Abiquiu is about halfway between Santa Fe and Taos, give or take, so you could hit either place for scenery or galleries, but they serve meals at Ghost Ranch, too, so you can paint all day and not have to buy food or cook, if you don't want to!

Deborah

Jo Castillo
05-18-2005, 01:55 AM
Count me in. Love the idea of motel camping. :) Four corners or Moab are beautiful. NM is fabulous (my home stomping grounds). Sedona and Flagstaff are great in the summertime in Arizona. Colorado can't be beat for mountains. Can't we do all?? Really, I'm game.

Piper Ballou
05-18-2005, 02:01 AM
Flagstaff, Arizona might be another location. Cool during the summer, Sedona and the Grand Canyon are within driving distances.

Is this being planned for this summer, or next?
Piper

Khadres
05-18-2005, 08:03 AM
Flagstaff, Arizona might be another location. Cool during the summer, Sedona and the Grand Canyon are within driving distances.

Is this being planned for this summer, or next?
Piper

I doubt anybody could put it together soon enough for this summer, but then ya never know! There's no reason some of y'all that live closer together couldn't put together something fairly quickly.

I doubt I could make a big trip this summer, but am planning on some travel time next year!

Piper Ballou
05-18-2005, 10:06 AM
Snooz- I think you are right about big trips this summer. What about if a few plan a meeting event somewhere around their area and if someone wants to go they jump in.....

What does everyone think?
TJ- I know you started this thread, what do you think about this? I know you live in Arizona too, and I do not want to overstep your idea, but I would be willing to help plan something for the Flagstaff area.

Piper

Khadres
05-18-2005, 03:58 PM
Sounds like a good idea to me, Piper! I know there are several from Colorado on here, but for some reason they seem kinda cagey about wanting to meet others....probably bad experiences with online friends in the past or something, but if the four or five from the Denver, Woodland Park, and Springs area wanted to, they could set something easy up in no time.

Mikki Petersen
05-18-2005, 04:17 PM
Well Darn!

Taos is wonderful!
Abiquiu is wonderful!
Santa Fe is wonderful!
Flagstaff is wonderful!
Sedona is wonderful!
Canyon de Chelly is wonderful!
Colorado is wonderful!

They are all a two day travel for me but I'd sure find a way...
MIkki

Khadres
05-18-2005, 04:24 PM
Well Darn!

Taos is wonderful!
Abiquiu is wonderful!
Santa Fe is wonderful!
Flagstaff is wonderful!
Sedona is wonderful!
Canyon de Chelly is wonderful!
Colorado is wonderful!

They are all a two day travel for me but I'd sure find a way...
MIkki

Mikki, I'm wondering if maybe we can ALL cook something up for the week before next year's Expo or some such. A lot of us want to attend that anyway and we could combine the two outtings....that would also allow us all a much better visit than we got to have last year with time so short. Y'all had a good RV park there, didn't you? Was there a cheapish motel nearby or anything? If we all tried to get to Santa Fe the weekend before the Expo, we could go out and paint together several days! Sounds fun to me!

Another thing that's fun for these get-togethers is if one or more of us have some new technique or palette, etc. to demo for the others. We used to do that a lot with our old art guildl and was lots of fun. Exchanging ideas and so on is one of the bonuses!

Mikki Petersen
05-18-2005, 05:16 PM
That is a good idea Sooz. I know last year, we all got together so fleetingly amid the hubbub of the Expo. It would be nice to have time to hang out and paint and chat and eat and explore and all that fun stuff we couldn't squeeze in to the Expo. The RV park we stayed at did not have any hotel or anything. There was a KOA down the road that has Kamper Cabins. Also there is an RV park on (that main road through Santa Fe that keeps going on to Abiquiu and Taos) and there were motels and hotels all around it and lots of restaurants and shopping and Old Town was only a few minutes away.

Some of us with some knowledge of the area could work on outings and activities, others could arrange for demos and such so we had an itinerary with lots of options like a real mini-conference.

Mikki

Khadres
05-18-2005, 06:38 PM
Could really be fun! I know the biggest problem last year was communication! I know I missed several small get-togethers because I knew nothing about them til after the fact. If we could plan things so that everyone knew what was going on where beforehand it would sure help!

ponting
05-18-2005, 07:21 PM
Well if Georgian can join in then why not a Canadian? :p

I am thinking of doing a little southern sojourn in my motorhome next year so I will just watch her and see what you guys brew up. :)

Cheers, Dianna

Khadres
05-18-2005, 08:56 PM
Yay! We're busy cookin' as fast as we can, Diane!

Trilby
05-18-2005, 09:45 PM
my oh my, I love how this pot is beginning to heat up, soon it will be boiling and burbling with more great ideas and energy. When I started this I was thinking of this summer or Fall, but that is sounding difficult for some.
So far we have 13 or 14 who have expressed interest and I'm sure as we solidify this more, more folks will chime in.
A week before or after the Expo could work if folk can get that much time together. I don't think I want to do this concurrently with the expo as that sounds like too much on the platter when the idea is R&R and art together, so the week before or after might do it.

Piper, yes, we have several in Az so possibly a smaller affair, perhaps in Sedonna (kind of mid point for folk) Or in Flag, or the White Mountains, just might make a good prerun for a larger more comprehensive affair. (wish I was getting to Kingman this trip to Or. but I'm taking a side jaunt to Joshua tree in Ca. and turning off on I -10 W. otherwise I'd stop in and say "Howdy") Sounds like we have pretty much reached concensus on a combo of motel/camping. Some of the areas suggested are close enough to an airport if needed. Some of us who will camp may be able to share quarters with far distant travelers who might also want to camp, same with motelers, A lot of potential sharing here.

Already, we are developing the sense of a team here, so however this comes off we have gained something great.

Keep right on chiming in and raising those hands.
TJ

Karen Margulis
05-19-2005, 02:12 PM
Just wondering what the dates are for the expo? This is sounding great so far!

Karen

Khadres
05-19-2005, 03:45 PM
Last year the Expo was the last full weekend in August...so far, haven't heard about next year. We'll have to see if Deborah can find out for us.

Trilby
05-20-2005, 01:36 PM
I just realized that I know nothing at all about the Expo. What is it, who puts it on, what happens there, how big, etc.? If it's just over a weekend then scheduling our get together for the week before or after starts seeming pretty realistic, (although, I'm an impatient soul and would like to meet everyone before 12 months or more :) )

We need some better name for what we're putting together, any suggestions?

Dianna Canadians, and all WCers are most certainly welcomed.
TJ

Khadres
05-20-2005, 03:38 PM
So far as I know, the Expo is sponsored every two years by Artisan Art Supplies of Albuquerque and Santa Fe and is a gathering of cutting edge art supplies manufacturers. It's free to get in and lasts the Fri. through Sun. In conjunction with it there are mini-workshops and demos galore starting the Weds. before. They had dozens and dozens of great classes last time, some full day, most half a day in length. For instance, I took the pastel-making day long workshop with Kitty Wallis, and a half day demo type class the next day with Albert Handell. I could've easily fit in many more had I planned better and had more energy. The prices aren't too bad either...much more reasonable than the multi-day type workshops you read about. If you'd like to see a sort of preview, check out the thread that follows:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=211122&highlight=Expo

Mikki Petersen
05-20-2005, 04:04 PM
I was going through some of my photos this morning and I came across photos of a rustic resort outside Trinidad, CO on Scenic Hwy12 just over the NM border. I remembered thinking it would be a perfect place for an art retreat. It has an adobe hotel, restaurant, RV park, private lake with fishing and boat rentals, nestled in a mountain setting that is just lush with scenery. Sooz knows the place I'm talking about. I can't remember the name of it. Anyway, it's about a two hour drive out of Santa Fe, I think, and there are many, many wonderful sites for any kind of painting you prefer.

Mikki

Mikki Petersen
05-20-2005, 04:24 PM
Here are some pictures of the place. If it worked out well, we might even consider a bi-annual retreat or something like that.

Trilby
05-20-2005, 07:36 PM
WOW Mikki, This looks delightful! Also has everything for both motelers and campers. And within a couple of hours of lots of additional interesting places both in Co. and NM. Get the name somehow! Dogs allowed? Any kind of flight service nearby? Or anyone who could pick up folk out of Alburquerque? Let's explore this further. OK so it turns my 8 hr. drive into 11 or 12 hrs, s'ok.
TJ

Khadres
05-20-2005, 07:57 PM
That is Monument Lake, owned by the city of Trinidad and boy, have they fixed it up since we lived down there! Best bet would be to contact the Trinidad Chamber of Commerce or whatever and find out about renting the cabins, parking and camping, etc. for non-residents. It is beautiful, but not without its hazards...a kid was killed by a bear there a couple years ago, so...it can be wild and wooly, as well. We used to picnic up there all the time. Gorgeous. I'd say it's at least 3 hrs north of Santa Fe, 4+ north of Albuquerque.

Nearest airport would be Pueblo, an hour plus away and that would be limited service. Could fly into Colorado Springs, tho...another hour north. I could pick folks up and haul 'em down with me...it's about 2.5 hours from here.

Here's what I found on the Trinidad website:

Monument Lake Park 719-868-2226
4789 Highway 12, Weston, CO 81091

Kathryn Wilson
05-21-2005, 12:10 AM
Wow, Mikki, that looks like a great place - and thanks Sooz for the info!

I am still remaining on the "interest" list - but will have to see about dates. If you all want to do the Expo and a gathering, you could do the gathering either before or after the Expo rather than during it. I know that during the Expo last year, and IAPS this year, there just wasn't time to get together and paint or just to relax and get acquainted.

Mikki Petersen
05-21-2005, 12:38 AM
We could always plan on having a get together at another time, too. Or we could plan on meeting the Sunday before the Expo for a gathering and plan to be in Santa Fe for the Expo as people start having commitments there like workshops and stuff. That way, for working folks, it would be a one week off vacation time thing.

Thanks Sooz! I have a ton of liturature from our trip but I'm not sure where it is off hand. I just thought about that because it was so scenic and has everything needed for a retreat.

Ghost Mountain also sounds like a possible winner if we can get the time there. What could be better than painting and meditating in Georgia O'Keefe country?

I'm sure there are similar kinds of places around Flagstaff also. This might require a committee...

Mikki