PDA

View Full Version : proud housewife (wip)

skallagrig
05-06-2005, 06:31 PM
Just started this one, the tour of the portrait societys exhibition got me going again :)

Thought i would share it with you all before I go to bed, quite pleased with it so far, still an awful lot to do on her face though :(

Have posted the ref as well.

Kristrotter
05-06-2005, 11:04 PM
This is looking great so far--can't wait to see it progress.

skallagrig
05-07-2005, 03:18 PM
Tonights offering, hopefully she looks a bit more healthy tonight, :D

image is 18 x 12 inches

christmascarolnz
05-10-2005, 02:51 AM
Looks like an interesting composition. I like what you've done so far.
Good one!
Cheers,
Carol

skallagrig
05-10-2005, 05:53 AM
here's were we're at, still not happy with her eyes, but i'm going to finish her clothes and come back to them.

Not sure about the composition now either, i know what i'm trying to say but not sure if its working :rolleyes:

Natalie NZ
05-10-2005, 06:54 AM
I think you have got an excellent likeness and interesting composition and look forward to seeing your further progress. :clap: :clap:

meowmeow
05-10-2005, 08:17 AM
Coming along quite well....you have captured her age-ness....the wonderful character she has accumulated over the years.

Sandy

Trilby
05-10-2005, 02:08 PM
The lighting in this is terrific. I like the comp and the emotion, There is a nice tension in the design. Going to be a great piece.
TJ

CindyW
05-10-2005, 05:53 PM
Skallagrig, this is a beautifully rendered portrait. I am compelled to ask her about her life as she sits there contentedly with an audience, and I am expecting a long story of great adventures.

prestonsega
05-10-2005, 06:06 PM
This is already holds a deep emotional feel......I think i can see what you are looking to achieve and bet you attain your goal! :cool:

angecald
05-10-2005, 10:35 PM
I like the composition. It's going to be a truly exceptional portrait.

skallagrig
05-11-2005, 05:31 AM
Thanks for the encouragement folks, I really have to get a grip on this self confidence thing :rolleyes:

Bing , can i employ you to write reviews for me, you captured the feeling I'm trying to convey exactly :clap: and put it much more eloquently than I could, I just felt something and you summed it up in one succinct (sp) sentence.

terence p
05-11-2005, 09:22 AM
A powerfull work - looking forward to seeing the finished. I love your painting of the man feeding the pigeons -this looks like it will be equally as good and interesting.

CindyW
05-11-2005, 09:32 AM
.....Bing , can i employ you to write reviews for me, you captured the feeling I'm trying to convey exactly :clap: and put it much more eloquently than I could, I just felt something and you summed it up in one succinct (sp) sentence.

:D Carolyn, I'm finding myself writing a few sentences here when I look at everyone's wonderful work and I want to say something beyond "Nice!" which is all the time I have sometimes in order to view everyone's work and comment, since being online takes time away from work, family, art time, and life. I do like to say something in the way a painting makes me feel when I can. So, I guess I'm practicing my writing skills here along with my artistic skills!
Can't wait to see the finish!

susiebell
05-11-2005, 09:49 AM
Amazing! :clap: Wish I could see a larger image.

skallagrig
05-15-2005, 10:25 AM
Stopped, finished, whatever, took me long enough, well here it is anyway......

thoughts please....

Jim Fannan
05-15-2005, 11:39 AM
Hi, skallagrig :wave:

Can i just say this is Fantastic :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
i have just stated trying out pastels, i never thought that a work of this quality could be done with them, i have a lot to learn.
wow!! the skin tone, texture, the eyes i could go on for hours.
great work.

Jim :wave:

tURBOCAT
05-15-2005, 01:17 PM
Phenominal!!! :clap: :clap:
This is sooo good and such a stunning piece!

Johnnie

FaeLynn
05-15-2005, 02:08 PM
Hi Skallagrig,
I love this work. You have captured emotion and made it a powerful piece.
One thing bothers me.. for whatever it's worth. I wish you would do something with the upper left hand corner, it lacks something. Maybe a picture on the wall or some wallpaper in a darker tone.. anyway it's better than I could do!! It just doesn't look "finished". I'll be watching this thread!
:clap: :clap: :clap:
TTFN,
Fae Lynn

CindyW
05-15-2005, 05:43 PM
Hi Skallagrig! This is beautiful....just wonderful. I forgot how expressive elders faces can be.
I have one thing to mention, if you don't mind....the fingers under the front of the hand...would they be a bit more darker to feel like they were below the hand? That might be how it is in the photo, I'm sure you've looked at this already. It just feels like they should recede a bit because there are darker shadows right directly above the hand on the face. Just a thought. It's a great portrait!

skallagrig
05-16-2005, 04:53 AM
Thanks everyone for the input, I actually agree with the points about the harsh transition but I went to such pains to keep the paper clean this time I wanted some input before I carried on.

I have made the ajustments to the background and the fingers but I won't bother posting them, I am definitely putting this one behind glass now.

It was a good practice of a more detailed look at a face and worth doing it for that.

Carolyn

skallagrig
05-16-2005, 07:29 AM
Changed my mind and decided to post the alterations, :rolleyes:

FaeLynn
05-16-2005, 08:51 AM
Hello Carolyn!!
Oh THANK YOU for deciding to post this since you did more work to it!
Now we're talkin'! Very nice! It makes the viewer want to explore the painting now, instead of hitting a brick wall halfway through it. I don't know if that makes sense, lol!
You'll have to come back and tell how it did in the show! I believe you have a winner. That facial expression is really compelling and thought provoking.
Nice work! :clap: :clap: :clap:
Til Next Time,
Fae Lynn

Bill Foehringer
05-16-2005, 09:25 AM
Superb!!!! You'll have many commissions lined up in no time when people see the quality of your work. BillF

angecald
05-18-2005, 12:20 AM
This is sensational. Even better than it looked like it was going to be.

SweetBabyJ
05-18-2005, 01:35 AM
VERY nice work- the unusual composition really sets the subject off; I like the unique point of view; the likeness is superb, and the sketchy background enhances the work. Congratulations, you should be very pleased with this.

Susan Borgas
05-18-2005, 02:26 AM
Carolyn I am glad you have changed your mind and posted the completed painting. Your work is superb and a delight to view. The colours in the blouse is lovely and has me thinking that I should give painting “white” a go. Your colours also have been integrated so well throughout the painting. A very nice piece indeed. :clap: :clap:

Natalie NZ
05-18-2005, 05:41 AM
I too am glad you showed us the finished painting........it is just wonderful and you should be proud :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

skallagrig
05-18-2005, 07:38 AM
Thanks you lot,

you really know how to make a persons day :D :D :D

IndigoRed
05-18-2005, 09:24 AM
I think its outstanding as well and love they way you handled the background, and you did a brilliant job on the ladies face............wrinkles still give me so much trouble.........but you have mastered them very well.........cant wait to see more of your work.

E-J
05-18-2005, 04:20 PM
Carolyn, what an expressive piece, and what great skill you have with those pastels! Amazing stuff.

Dark_Shades
05-21-2005, 03:49 AM
watched this develope into a wonderful piece....... the lady has quiet dignity and humour - great stuff

vhere
05-21-2005, 04:28 AM
what a character! great painting :cat:

Vivien

billiam
05-21-2005, 09:33 AM
eliquintly done. i look an wonder at the knowledge she has? bill

skallagrig
05-22-2005, 09:04 AM
thankyou everyone for the kind words, :wave:

The main thing for me is that the face actually made some people wonder what she was thinking, a bit more than just a good likeness, more about a person with thoughts and feelings....

on with the practicing..........

skallagrig
06-17-2005, 09:06 AM
thought you folks might be interested, I still wasn't entirely happy with the background and recieved some very helpful advice on another site.

here's the final final version.....

Bringer
06-17-2005, 03:24 PM
Hi there,

Congratulations for winning the contest !!

Regards,

José

AuntBe1
06-20-2005, 08:51 AM
Hi Carolyn! This is a lovely piece, such emotion and dignity. The detail is amazing! Do you use pastel pencils? I just bought some pastels and will begin experimenting with them soon. I'm detail oriented and am shocked at the level that you've achieved. I've been working in colored pencil and love the detail that you can get with them. I've wanted to try pastels but was afraid I would be disappointed about losing that element in my paintings.
Again, fabulous job!!

skallagrig
06-20-2005, 09:21 AM
thanks José,

haven't sent him the updated version, wonder what he'd say.

Auntbe,

thanks for the praise, i don'y use pencils only a mixture of schminke, rembrandts and some very cheap and nasty inscribes, i've just got a sample of some artworks though and they seem to be the perfect in between the schminke and rembrandts so i'm going to bite the bullet and order a set :clap:

to get the detail i either snap the pastel to get a sharp edge or to get a very fine line, say the wrinkles on the face. i make a mark with one colour and then overlay with another tone leaving only a fine line of the original colour showing. Does that make sense, I have seen the correct word for this technique somewhere but can't think what it is.

I never blend the pastels either, i only put on lots of tiny dots and dashes of colour, so i never get the worn out finger syndrome :D

RUNEMASTER
06-20-2005, 10:13 AM
Quite a resemblance.Looks good.

God's Delight
10-22-2005, 11:31 PM
excellent skill, which I admire so much, and, yes, made me think more than a mere likeness would. The title, and then looking at the photograph with what looks like a towel folded over a chair, and your work, all these together remind me that if I knew I was going to die tomorrow, would getting the dishes done before I go to bed be as high on my priority list as it currently is? I don't think I want to be a proud housewife. Well, at least not just that. At least not be tyrannized by the endless round of work there is to do!

HarvestMoon
10-28-2005, 03:25 PM
Really wonderful- too many people overlook the elderly when they are so full of wisdom and life! Beautifully done- and you have really gotten the hard part done!

Mike_Beeman
10-30-2005, 01:36 AM
Absolutely stunning! I have really enjoyed watching the progress of this painting as well as the Rev. Romer....wow!!!!

Chloe_1
10-31-2005, 11:01 PM
Excellent work skallagrig..
What kind of paper did you use?:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

cascadeoflove
11-03-2005, 01:10 PM
I want to kiss those hands who are responsible for this masterpiece.

Awesome work in pastels, Skallagrig. My best wishes.

ElfeUra
11-06-2005, 03:10 PM
So incredible - love the painting and the object ;) wonderfully done!!
Rita