PDA

View Full Version : Amaryllis WIP commission (2nd oil ever)

ArtsyMom x3
05-05-2005, 09:06 PM
Hello, new to oils, in fact, I've done one whole oil painting and a friend has commissioned me to do THREE for her kitchen, one for her mantle and a watercolor for her bathroom!! Yipee! (I'm a primarily portrait watercolorist by trade, lol, you can see what I've done in the watercolor gallery by looking at my profile and search threads I have started. I have posted just about every painting I've done as a WIP on there.)

Here is #1, picture and beginnings of painting....this is the first of a three painting set for her kitchen. One amaryllis 18 x 24 for the right side of her set of three doors in her kitchen leading to her back patio and a set of two 16 x 16 lillies to be put one above the other on the opposite side of those doors. all with a black background, macro style single flower. Here is my progress....yesterday I did an alizarin crimson underlayer and today did what you see. LOTS more to do. It is not EXACTLY like the photo, but I took liberties when I freehanded the white pencil drawing on the red underlayer. don't look for an exact replica of the photo (which is compliments of the image library, by the way, thank you!) My side of my hand resting on the canvas today wiped away most of the white drawing in the middle!! lol...boy, do I have a lot to learn! And I need me a mal stick (sp).....

thanks for looking!!

(BTW, this is cross posted in the oil forum)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-May-2005/30384-amaryllis_photo.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-May-2005/30384-Amaryllis_1.jpg

Marysa
05-06-2005, 01:17 AM
It's going to be beautiful. Can't wait to watch it progress. :clap: :clap:

marsva
05-06-2005, 07:23 AM
This looks like it is coming along nicely, just love the great color on the black background. I will enjoy watching the progress. Nice to get such a commission from a freind too!! Good for you. :clap:

gurleygirl
05-06-2005, 12:18 PM
It looks like you are off to a fantastic start. Congratulations on your commissions!
Tracey

Mikey
05-06-2005, 02:06 PM
This will be quite something. Can you tell us what mediums you have used until now?

Mikey

ArtsyMom x3
05-06-2005, 02:12 PM
This will be quite something. Can you tell us what mediums you have used until now?

Mikey

Hoping for "quite something", that would be fantastic, lol.....

Watercolor is my medium of choice. I am a portrait watercolorist, mainly. You can see some of my work if you click on my profile and search for threads I have started. I have posted just about everything I have done on the watercolor gallery as a WIP. This is a completely different world for me. The scary thing is that I am "learning" on a commissioned piece to control the oils rather than the oils control me. I'll get it, though.....I'm going to stay positive about it and count on the fact that I'll catch on. Its a feel thing, I really have to learn the feel of it. I tend to want to use the same techniques I know so well in watercolors, but by doing so, I'm making it harder on myself. I need to use this medium's characteristics to my advantage....but I still am trying to discover what those characteristics are!....sounds strange, I know, but i feel like I'm going about it the hard way. We'll see....I'll get it.....well, at this point, I HAVE to, don't I?...lol

Mikey
05-06-2005, 02:31 PM
You obviously know about the effects of light within the flower and are finding your own way here. We can try to give encouragement.

I had used acrylics exclusively until last September when I began with oils for portraits. It took me a few months to find that confidence with the brush, but the effort was I think well worth it. Now they tell me my acrylics look like oils, and would you believe I took Zhou Two into a gallery today at which the woman said she thought it was an acrylic.

Mikey

TScottDove
05-09-2005, 06:43 AM
Beautiful resource image. I tend to work all over the canvas more or less simultaneously. It looks like you are completing a small area at a time, so I'm curious to see how you progress. You're off to a great start.

ArtsyMom x3
05-09-2005, 07:40 AM
Beautiful resource image. I tend to work all over the canvas more or less simultaneously. It looks like you are completing a small area at a time, so I'm curious to see how you progress. You're off to a great start.

funny you say that.....didn't realize that I was doing it in oils, as I have always done that in watercolors. That is precisely the problem I was afraid I was going to have with oils, not being able to use my own way of painting because of drying problems. I'm still trying to figure out just what my technique is in oils. I would love to be able to control them as much as I can control my watercolors. We'll see!!!

Thanks!

Edit here: I just looked at your website....NO WONDER you took time to comment....I'm going for exactly what you have mastered. macro flowers, lillies to be exact.....you are fabulous. just fabulous. I hope I can attain some of what you are able to do by the time this is completed. She didn't want it photo-realistic, which is somewhat what I do in watercolors, but I told her I'll just do what I can and want to with it and hope she loves the outcome. I'm sort of learning with her commissions about this oil thing..lol.....wonderful work :clap: :clap: :clap:

ArtsyMom x3
05-20-2005, 03:03 PM
Here's yesterday's progress...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-May-2005/30384-Amaryllis_2.jpg

Marysa
05-20-2005, 03:18 PM
It's beautiful :clap: :clap:

ArtsyMom x3
06-02-2005, 07:12 PM
VOILA!! unsigned finished product!!

next will be two 16 x 16 lillies to complete a set of three for a client's kitchen.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Jun-2005/30384-Amaryllis_3_small.jpg