PDA

View Full Version : Bigelow Homestead

Wyobud
12-23-2001, 01:13 AM
From a series of Old abandoned homesteads in southwestern Wyoming.

Quill pen, india ink on parchment.

BUD

sportpony
12-23-2001, 03:25 AM
Grew up on a ranch on the Wyoming/Montana line where my grandfather homesteaded. This is so typical of the many old homesteads in that area as well ...

Has the "feel" of the dry high-desert area ... can almost smell the scent of sagebrush ...

Can you tell I'm homesick???

NorahT
12-23-2001, 09:51 AM
Nice penwork - good to see a bit of history :)

Christie
12-23-2001, 12:13 PM
These look like many of our prairie farms. I love drawing abandoned buildings , there is something very compelling about them.

Ginette
12-23-2001, 12:23 PM
Very skillfully done.
I like a lot. Great shadows too.

I just read about quill pens last night and it all sounds like it a difficult tool.

Re sharpening and very little ink flow makes it interesting ti use, I'm sure.

It seems you are a master of this tool.

Ginette

sassybird
12-23-2001, 12:35 PM
Wyobud, I live in Idaho, so scenes like this are familar to me also. Old abandoned ranch and farm sites have a strong voice in my mind. Close to where I live is an old Pony Express stop. I live right on the old Oregon trail. Your drawing makes me want to go out and sketch :) If it wasn't 25 degrees outside with a nice wind kicking up I probably would head out this sunny morning.

Wyobud
12-23-2001, 09:13 PM
Thanks all for the look.........

sportpony........welcome home. This country is changin fast, these old places are bought up by the big money and they are "cleaning-up" and destroying these old homesteads.

Nora..........I'm trying to document as many places as I can before they are gone. I feel like an old man in a hurry.....Woops I am an old man.

Christie............Many of thes old places that I do, I have been on when they were working outfits. So they really tug at me.

Ginette...........I cheat and use a steel quill, of different sizes. I had too the old goose would hide every time she saw me coming.
The long shadows of evening are a pleasant time for me to draw.
Was chaseing yearlings one time on Oyster Ridge and came on an old wolfers cabin. I figured maybe wouldn't get that way again so I sketched the place with a nail, and ink made of coffee and nail rust with some charcoal thrown in. Of course it didn't last.

Sassybird..........We also live close to the trail. Lots of material around the South Pass area and the Lander cut-off. Like you a cold wind and drifting snow sure tempers the enthusiasm. Hope to run across you out sketching sometime, considering we're neighbors and all.

RuthT
12-24-2001, 08:26 AM
I like your drawing Wyobud.

It has a great atmosphere of abandonment - should be a few chickens running around and a dog or cat there, and maybe a clothesline with laundry on it :D

The parchment gives a good effect. Is it really that yellow, or is it my screen ?

Wyobud
12-25-2001, 05:43 PM
Thanks Ruth T.............The scan made the parchment just a little more yellow than it is. I've often been tempted to put life back in these old places. Too sentimental I guess, and not artist enough to convey my feelings.

BUD

dnip24
12-30-2001, 11:33 PM
Beautiful picture, looks awesome this house!

els
01-02-2002, 06:41 AM
Another great drawing.