PDA

View Full Version : Chicken monotype

bazooka
12-22-2001, 10:38 PM
Here's one of my sexy chicken monotypes entitled Blow Hole.

misscat
12-28-2001, 06:05 AM
what techniques have you used?
it is very painterly...

Cat

bazooka
12-28-2001, 08:50 AM
Monotypes are often mentioned as painterly prints.

I used intaglio ink, mixtures of cyan yellow and magenta, thinned with naptha. Using bristle brushes, washes and rags on a plexiplate the image was developed. When I was satisfied it was printed on white Magni Pescia paper using a litho press.

Starting with the idea of creating two characters and letting them interact side by side I made a monotype a day for a number of months. This to conteract my usual tendency to spend months on miniature graphite drawings and lithographs.

Here's another entitled, "Stand and Deliver"

ZOTMA
12-28-2001, 09:42 PM
Ya have some charged work here....I dig it
do you have a site where there are more of these to see?
thank you for the bit of explanation on the process
I like the freedom (as opposed to the feel of hyper-deliberation so often apparent in printmaking, seems like you were trying to avoid given your words)

bazooka
12-28-2001, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by ZOTMA
do you have a site where there are more of these to see?

Just this (http://ccwf.cc.utexas.edu/~bazooka/mono/) with seven others beyond the two I've posted already.

I'm not a printmaker, though I do make prints. There is a lot of "hyper-deliberation" in much more art practice than just printmaking. I am unable to begin and finish in the same place. Why start to make something when you already know what it's going to look like?

ZOTMA
12-29-2001, 12:04 AM
thanks for the link, enjoyed seeing the others very much
to answer your question;
perhaps to create solutions to the problems that arise while completing a vision (could be one answer of many), not to mention the myriad of tangent ideas created while working on a piece that isn't commanding 100% of your creative output but rather while your mind resides in a more technical mode.
plenty of room for both/all approaches
you've infused the freshness and exploration of your approach into these pieces with success (IMO)

dnip24
01-03-2002, 05:38 PM
cool pictures!