PDA

View Full Version : Incubator Series #1

mame
12-22-2001, 08:47 PM
First in series. Done a couple of years ago.
about 4ft by 4ft
oil and roofing tar on stretched canvas

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Dec-2001/Incubators_#1.JPG

oops. I'll be back

mame
12-22-2001, 08:56 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Dec-2001/INCUBATOR_SERIES_FIRST.JPG

I don't know why it's not working. Once more. I know, I'm pathetic.

mame
12-22-2001, 09:24 PM
acrylic on cardboard nailed to wood frame.
Incubator series #2 about 24W x 36L

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Dec-2001/Incubator_series_2.JPG

colorme
12-22-2001, 10:49 PM
these rock :D, the last one is my favorite, i like the sun in the background.

mjkohler
12-23-2001, 12:26 AM
:clap: mama, i have got to say that second one especially really connects with my soul. i like it. mjk

mjkohler
12-23-2001, 12:27 AM
:D :o oops! Mame, that is. mjk

kelly
12-23-2001, 10:41 AM
Hi Mame...Like this also...Especially interested in your use of Tar...Curious about how you use it and what you try to achieve with it..

mame
12-23-2001, 11:23 AM
Hey, Kelly.

A ceramist/sculptor friend was experimenting with tar and gunny sack material in his sculptures and it looked interesting....

I don't use brown much per se, but found tar when thinned down with turps made a wonderful warm greenish/bluish brown.

Also found it interesting to scratch into - can't see it very well here.

The stuff is really toxic so play around with it only in the summer and only in the garage.

Downside. This two year old painting is still "sticky".

I like messin around with stuff.

timelady
12-24-2001, 03:23 PM
I love these, as usual! First one is my favourite - I love the patterns of the dark polka dots on the right and the lighter eggs on the left figure.

Quick question, a few times you mentioned paintings being nailed on wood. Does that mean that the smaller square in teh centre of the 2nd painting is the cardboard and the overall shape is wood, also painted? I'm sort of confused. Do you nail the cardboard in the middle then paint the whole composition on top of the card and wood? Please enlighten me, I need to experiment more too. :)

Tina.

mame
12-24-2001, 03:36 PM
Yeah, Tina, the cardboard was first nailed onto the 1x2 inch plywood. Was experimenting with the construction of stretcher bars using 'L' brackets or whatever you call them. The cardboard was part of another experiment in "fracturing the 2-dimensional picture plane".

It was nailed onto the wood frame with small carpet tacks if I remember.

Lesson: Even when experimenting use archival materials! You can buy archival cardboard (used by bookmakers/in binderies) because you never know if it will be a keeper!

timelady
12-26-2001, 06:19 AM
Cool. I saw some archival card in the art shop... time to go shopping. :)

mame
12-26-2001, 08:54 AM
timelady - I think you can also get it mail order through Utrecht and I bet Dick Blick because they handle so much printmaking stuff although haven't looked there.

University Book stores are another source if they have a good art supplies department.

artlover
12-26-2001, 11:47 AM
Eggs on the outside-external incubation.

And the folks look none too comfortable with their roles...
Your paintings really just catch my mind and leave me looking at the screen makin' up stories....

Oh, in the second painting the figure looks almost relieved that at least one hatched-but still concerned about its fate. The outstretched hand seems to be saying, "go on..."

Of course I have no idea if any of this was your intent-I just love art that lets me slip into another world and start imagining...

mame
12-26-2001, 02:14 PM
Thank you artlover. My sentiments exactly. As an art viewer, I too do not want to be "told" the whole story. I like to participate in the experience.

With my own work I find viewers' interpretations much more complex and imaginitive and interesting than my own. Sometimes it takes a while for me to "get it" in my own work, whatever "it" is.

Freud would have a hay day.

Txs again

sassybird
12-26-2001, 03:16 PM
Mame, I think that "IT" rides on your shoulder and whispers in your ear when you paint:D Your work does open a door for people to let their imaginations through. I always enjoy viewing your work, and traipsing down the path of fancy. Thank you for sharing these two. Oh, the first one is my favorite:D

mame
12-26-2001, 03:20 PM
txs sweet sass. How ya feeling?

sassybird
12-26-2001, 03:40 PM
I'm healing well, and that sass is rising in me again...........lol Can't wait to see if the press really does arrive soon. Been waiting so long, and I want to work so much.

MKathleen
12-27-2001, 10:23 AM
Mame, your work is very disturbing I love it.........

Best,
Kathy:D

mame
12-27-2001, 10:45 AM
Sass - funny how close and yet so far away...especially since last night's snowfall. Let's think about maybe in the Spring?

Kathy - so am I (insert diabolical laughter here). Well, everybody's crazy........

Like most artists, starting out with the basics, learning to look outwardly and learning to really see and getting the hand to "memorize" and render what one sees out there over and over again until you can't tell if it's the eye that's looking or the hand.

Then over time allowing the self to come through. Some artists covertly, some less so.

Now, I see/hear the world, absorb it subconsciously and it just comes out metaphorically/symbolically/expressionistically.

Guess I'm willing to stand naked in front of strangers. (Plus sometimes I talk way too much).

What's your schtick?

ZOTMA
12-28-2001, 12:06 AM
the first couple seems so tense like they're rigged with plastic explosives. Talk about expecting. There also seems to be a resignation to their faces and bodies. The arc over head feels either of a bed/headboard but also strangely like a tombstone.

the second piece seems much more charged (hee hee no pun)
actual reaction by the subject, strange hanging spawn from egg belt, yolk hanging low in the sky. The added dimension of the board duplicates the notion of a subject budding off the other.
I've looked several times and honestly since you posted so many at once I was overwhelmed! Your pieces beg time to look and absorb. Thanks for the opportunity.

colorme
12-28-2001, 12:32 AM
i love your tinyhead zotma :D

ZOTMA
12-28-2001, 03:25 AM
thanks colorme
that would be me enjoying holiday libations a few nights ago
toasty/ed
I'm moving on to the other pieces ya posted, mame.
Drinkin 'em up one atta time...ahhhh.

mame
12-28-2001, 07:12 AM
Zot-txs for taking time to look/think/write

Did get kind of carried away with the posts. Had a couple of Tom and Jerry's myself and got a bit manic with the scanner. It's that wild single life.

Someone else mentioned the "hand grenade" look of the string of eggs. Like the idea a lot. Wish I'd thought of it.

AmyH
12-28-2001, 11:13 AM
the second is my fav. the composition is more pleasing to me. think its the curve of the string, my eye just carries around more comfortably, or something. it also seems more intimate, not certain why that is.

amy

ThinkSeeDraw
12-28-2001, 11:30 AM
Something about tar and oil, they never dry when mixed 2gether. My friend has a wall in his room with panels nailed to the wall, he uses it as a giant sketch pad with house paints, acrylics, oils, and that wonderful roof tar stuff.
He does many with the tar and it usually dries in about a week, but one place, he used oils and the tar mixed, six months later, it's still as wet as the day he applied it.
I guess it's a chemical reaction with the 2.
the strongest retarder i've ever seen ;) Good to know we were not the only ones with that problem.

Wonderful paintings by the way! :D

mame
12-28-2001, 12:05 PM
Strawberrie - another messy studio maven. Think we might be kindred spirits.

Txs for solving the tar problem. It's only sticky in a couple of places. Who knew? Any way to see your friend's tar paintings?

Amy- think maybe the 2nd one includes what I learned from the first plus maybe I was feeling kinder that day. Now that you point it out I can see there is an emotional relationship with the little doo-das by the figure that does not exist in the first one. Txs for creating this "layer of meaning" of sorts.

AmyH
12-28-2001, 02:43 PM
ah yeah, thats it. the contact between th main figure and the one attached.

now that i look at the first again it makes me think of a couple in bed who hve been angry at one another; bodily warmth hasn't melted the hate yet.

my mother always told me the opposite of what you typically hear about going to bed angry (normaly people say don't do it). my mom said poo poo; thats the BEST place to go ;). no wonder i have five siblings LOL

amy

mame
12-28-2001, 02:51 PM
:evil: :D

and your favorite::clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

reynolds
09-17-2005, 08:30 PM
ah here is one from way back when...
worth a revisit.

Pars
09-17-2005, 08:36 PM
thanks for bringing this one up. Mame you work is just wonderful. I bookmarked your web ages ago. :wave:

burdeee
09-17-2005, 10:18 PM
[QUOTE=mame]http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Dec-2001/INCUBATOR_SERIES_FIRST.JPG

I don't know why it's not working. Once moore... QUOTE]

:wink2: hello mame
im new to this forum
and im quite surprised at the calibre
of werk here, this peace is no exceptions
i look forward to seeing much moore of your werk :)

Diane Cutter
09-18-2005, 07:32 AM
Thanks, Reynolds, for reviving this thread...

Mame... Your work is wonderful. I've visited your website several times. Your pieces have a haunting effect on me...

Diane

leverettfinn
09-18-2005, 07:43 AM
amazing work

Lauren

mame
09-18-2005, 10:52 AM
Yikes. Skeletons in the closet.
Txs

reynolds
09-18-2005, 12:43 PM
in my case no skeletons just nostalgia, i found it way back on page four hundred and something... :wave: peaked at more while i was reviewing past history!!!

NodakerDeb
09-19-2005, 11:41 AM
Astounding work!

Deb

Florence
09-19-2005, 12:37 PM
Wow, thank you Reynolds for reviving this. Mame, wonderful works, very moving :clap:

NodakerDeb
09-19-2005, 07:45 PM
One of these days I've got to start looking at dates :) 2001 was way before my time, so I am very greatful this surfaced!

Deb

NodakerDeb
09-19-2005, 07:46 PM
Thanks, Reynolds, for reviving this thread...

Mame... Your work is wonderful. I've visited your website several times. Your pieces have a haunting effect on me...

Diane

Diane, Mame? where is the website??? I wanna see too!

Deb

mame
09-19-2005, 08:30 PM
txs again all for your interest in the oldies.

www.mhillart.com

Dhuot
09-19-2005, 08:32 PM
Link

http://www.jcrist.com/mollyhill_1.html

A lot of intersting stuff at page 400 and something !!! :D

Dhuot
09-19-2005, 08:33 PM
I must agree that you do have very nice paintings :)

Daniel Rigos
09-20-2005, 02:27 AM
Very nice! Have a fantastic depth to them and a peculiar playful feel.

osiris
09-20-2005, 05:07 AM
I tried working with tar once and never did it again! Excellent that you wielded it to achieve such imaginationally courageous and original results. Strange haunting effect.

Tarek

nes7827
09-22-2005, 02:54 PM
Those are fantastic, I really like your work...the polka dots on the blue field in the first one turn my crank! The entire palette is phenomenal. Some of the faces remind me of Mauricio Lasansky's... Will check out your website. :clap: :clap: :clap: Nick