PDA

View Full Version : Me at 53? A self Portrait

marsva
05-03-2005, 08:45 PM
I have never done a self portrait before. The idea of it sorta made me sick!
I am working in oil on canvas
size 8"x12"
My art group, http://www.geocities.com/floydartgroup
was invited to do a self portrait show in a local gallery....sooooo here is my attemt!
First is the photo my sweet son was kind enough to help me with. (okay so this photo ended up last!) :D
Then the burnt sienna and turp undercoat and after the burnt sienna dried , then thalo green and white on all the highlighted areas.... then it goes as it goes. Colors used are flesh color ( I know I cheat) then aliz crim and ultra marine blue for darkes areas. I did thow in some yellow at the high of the highlights. And of course, all mixes with titanium white.
Please throw in your suggestions. I am very new at oils and this is a brand new appoach for me with the green undercoat. I think I really like this!!
Is this okay if I post so many pictures at one time??? I wasn't sure I wanted to post the WIP until I knew it might actually end up looking like me.
I am also painting a still life at the same time for an example for my Senior art class students. I'll spare you that process unless you think you want to see it...it also is with that thalo green undercoat. I start a new painting towmmow with the art group, we have our two day session with the same model in the same pose... my first attempt with oils in this group. I have used pastels up till now, reflected in the paintings in my gallery photos.
http://www.geocities.com/marsva/ArtGallery.html The pastel life drawings reflect a three hour session with the first half hour in gesture drawings.
I am really excited about starting a life drawing tomorrow and having 6 hours with the same pose and model .. should be interesting. I'll take pictures ...should I post them on a web page or can I post them here?
Happy painting everyone! :wave:

Artistanne
05-03-2005, 08:58 PM
Hi there Mars! I love your comment "the idea kind of made me sick!" LOL I ended up with my laundry series as a result of a self portrait show I was in 2 years ago--I don't "do" portraits, so I painted my clothes instead.

I think this is coming along nicely--I really love your underpainting and the direction you're going in. Since I'm not a portrait person, I can't really give technical advice--but I do like to paint people and try to capture their essence, I think in that respect you're on the right track with yours. :wave:

laketrees
05-04-2005, 01:25 AM
Hi Marsva...good start...like the contrast between light and dark in the photo...will make for a dramatic portrait...
cheers kim

Marysa
05-04-2005, 02:24 AM
It is coming along nicely. Can't wait to see it progress.

Mary

marsva
05-04-2005, 05:58 AM
Thanks for the encouragement Anne, Mary and Kim.
I hope I will have some energy left after the drawing sessions with the group today to put some more time into it this evening.

Mikey
05-04-2005, 06:28 AM
You've got a very nice photo for a reference here and I like the way you are going. It offers all kinds of creative possibilties along the way.

Mikey

marsva
05-04-2005, 07:07 AM
Thanks Mikey,
Still very scarey doing a painting of yourself!! LOL I noticed I have wrinkles on my eyelids...I don't wanna look that close anymore!!

Anita Murphy
05-04-2005, 11:49 AM
Just started a self-portrait myself. Yours is looking way better than mine!!!

LisaArt
05-04-2005, 01:02 PM
Hi Marsva, :wave: Good for you! I think thats great. I would also love to do a portrait. I might try one day. :eek:
I am happy to follow you on your WIP. Such a great learning too this WIP thread is. I cant give you too many tips or advice about portraits, but I like where this is going. Great work so far. You are capturing the lights and darks very well :clap:

FYI.
Kim is my fav artisit for portraits, totally dig her style. I am sure she, Mikey (another great one at portraits), Gilberte (beautiful watercolour monochrome portraits) and Anita (who just finished one of her son and did a great job), can surely be of help to you. :D

marsva
05-16-2005, 04:06 PM
Here I am again! I bet you think I chickened out!! :p
I finally had a few uninterupted hours to spend in the studio.
I attached two photos, one I went back and used charcoal to try to pull the likeness up, and the second one, I am trying to add color, depth, and shadows. There is some glare, particularly on the right side as the paint is still wet.
Any suggestions welcome, I know it still has a long way to go! :wave:
marsva aka Marsha

Marysa
05-16-2005, 05:03 PM
Looking good :clap: :clap:

Mikey
05-16-2005, 05:26 PM
This is going well, getting the values right first.

Mikey

laketrees
05-17-2005, 04:28 AM
Hi Marsha....yes I think getting the features back in there has helped......looks good...
cheers kim

marsva
08-19-2005, 12:53 PM
Well, the self portrait show is coming up and this is due in tomorrow.
I thought it was done until I looked at this photo...I think Imay need to just darken the one eyebrow. (in reality, my eyebrows are almost non-existent)
I can't believe I actually got this done!
Painting oneself is an awsome task!
Sorry I haven't been around here much, work has had almost every minute of my time sucked up, but things should ease up now and maybe I will have more painting/ computer time.
Please feel free to let me know if you see anything I should pay attention to with my self portrait.

Mikey
08-19-2005, 12:56 PM
This is looking very good to me.

Mikey

nancy_ellen56
08-19-2005, 01:08 PM
seeing your wip has been a real treat...gives me hope...I always get scared and honestly a bit disgusted with the process when I start a picture...it is still a major struggle for me to get anything that looks decent...This turned out extremely well...I also would love to see the works with the live model...

marsva
08-19-2005, 01:46 PM
Thank you both for your kind words.
Nancy, you know anyone that can sit still for a couple months? LOL
I actually do work with live models once a week for three hour sessions with an art group I am part of, but we rarely get the same model two weeks in a row so it is more of an exercise for me than anything else. I can't get much of a finished piece in such a short time. Plus, I don't see well anymore, and it is difficult for me to get a likeness unless I control the light. I usually do pastels and more recently watercolors with the life drawing. I must admit after years of not wanting to use oil I think I have decided I like it best of all!
Thanks again! 8 )