PDA

View Full Version : request: middle ages clothing

yuffie
05-02-2005, 07:08 PM
I need to find a picture of clothing from the Middle Ages, more specifically, the Burning Times (approx. 1475 - 1750), when witches were persecuted. I've started the drawing for a painting which will include people hunting a witch, so I'd like to get their clothes as accurate as possible. Perhaps a picture from a book? I have no idea where to look. Or perhaps someone could describe to me what they would wear? Thanks.

FriendCarol
05-03-2005, 02:11 AM
During my misspent youth (while at university), one of the weird groups I hung out with was the Society for Creative Anachronism. We loved to reproduce clothes, 'weapons' (made of rattan, so no one would get killed in the tournaments we staged :D), dances, music, food (and drink!), etc. of the Medieval period. I'll bet they have a Web site, and I'll bet there are plenty of costumes shown on it.

I can tell you that the colors of clothing were usually quite dull. No artificial fabrics were available, of course; dyes were, for the most part, vegetable dyes. Most fabric was homespun, or wool. For very wealthy people, silk was available, and embroidery threads. A skirt (for dresses, too) was created by cutting a full circle of fabric, so they were very full. The warmest garment most folks owned was a cloak, hooded -- these also were cut as circles, and thus very full. Leather was heavily used, too, for slippers, belts (for the inevitable -- among soldiers and the higher ranks -- weapons), as well as clothing. Pouches were also tucked into belts; pockets were rare or nonexistent.

Good luck! :)

juneto
05-03-2005, 04:44 AM
Go to the Internet, Google it or go to your Local library to Research and you will find everything you ever wanted.
June

stephie20
05-08-2005, 07:42 PM
In my youth at school, the only time I turned out for a history lesson was because I used to enjoy drawing the costumes. I have some Harpers Bazar books on costume, but they don't go back early enough. I would suggest going to the library and looking through the history books....good luck