PDA

View Full Version : Mural

laketrees
05-02-2005, 07:43 AM
I have been invited to submit a sketch for a 6metre by 2.5 metre mural to go on a building in the town where I was born.....The theme is workers of the 1900's and I already have a pic of a 12 year old miner....my grandfather was the manager of the mines in those days...so am going to get some pics from my cousin who is an expert on our family history...my idea is to put them (figures...eg...butcher iceman grocer miner etc all in front of the old railway station...(this railway pic is of the next town where my parents were born) ....most of my ancestors were from Wales and England and a lot were miners...
cheers kim

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-May-2005/54304-miner_boy.JPG http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-May-2005/54304-railway_station.JPG

Esmeralinda
05-02-2005, 08:18 AM
Hi Dear Fellow Minion !

You're so generous to share this adventure with us. I just do not have time to explore WIP as much as I would like to. But will be dropping in here often. You must be excited about this project ? I would be.
You are the perfect person to do this. :clap:

Funny how the 12 year old boy looks so much older...in those days they were considered little men already ! :(

laketrees
05-02-2005, 08:30 AM
Hi min... :D ...it is exciting Linda.....the town is doing something similar to what was done in your beautiful country.....(Chemainus...) I've been into the website and they have some fantastic murals...
the boys here went into the mines as young as 9 and it is sad...you're right the little boy in the pic does look like a little old man...and his expression says a thousand words....I think he will be wonderful in the mural...fancy....... workers at 9 years old..... :confused:

Hopefully I will have the sketch done by the end of the week...
cheers kim

flawless_bone
05-02-2005, 04:17 PM
I can even imagine a pic like the boy well huge on a wall, nothing but the silent statement of his youth, serious look and history. Will you keep it or parts in black and white?

laketrees
05-03-2005, 01:11 AM
Hi Flawless...thanks for dropping by.... :wave: ...The initial submission will be in black and white and then colour sketch....lots of research....I think the boy will be a focal point (your statement is very poignant and so true)...as I am really falling for him the more I look at him...very powerful expression....going to get more pics tonight...
Here is a pic of the location ...the billboard will be primed and acrylic paint supplied....size 6m x 2.5 m
cheers kim

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-May-2005/54304-billboard.JPG

LisaArt
05-03-2005, 04:48 AM
Hi Kim! :wave: Oh what a project this is going to be. They could not have picked a better artist to do this mural. Love the pic of the railway and the boy. Yes, I would have that boy in there for sure and that railway station too. The railways were so essential part of life back then! This will be very interesting to watch you on this journey.! I am so excited. :clap: :D

Gilberte
05-03-2005, 01:04 PM
Oh dear ... wishing you the best of luck with this project ... :clap:

Spyderbabe
05-03-2005, 03:49 PM
Kim - this is going to be great!
What do you think of doing it in sepia tones?

laketrees
05-04-2005, 12:57 AM
Hi Lisa...good to see you... :clap:...have been busy getting pics of the workers...have got a baker butcher blacksmith nurse (female... :D )and policeman...also 2 more adult miners to go with the boy..... I think the background will be semi abstracted building showing light and dark as I want to emphasise the people who will be lifesize.....going to collage my figures before drawing like you do with your cities..... :evil:
Thankyou Gilberte...time is of the essence...with this one...hopefully have the beginnings of a sketch tonight.... :)
Thanks Kathleen....they have specified a colour sketch if my b and w sketch is suitable.....sepia would be really suitable as most of the photos from that era are sepia...oh well if they want colour it will mean further research... :D
cheers kim

here's the pic of the baker and the butcher

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-May-2005/54304-mural_pastry_cook.JPG http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-May-2005/54304-mural_butcher_near_post.JPG

Mikey
05-04-2005, 06:30 AM
Kim, what an incredible project, and yes even before my time. That lady to the left of the baker does remind me of photos of my mum in her younger days though.

Mikey

marsva
05-04-2005, 07:14 AM
Hi Kim,
This is just a wonderful and exiciting project! I am so glad we will be able to watch the process. I love all the old pictures. I hope your ideas and your paint flows smoothly and you enjoy this... a mural that large and so public would be a bit overwelming to me I think. I'd have to make a tent to hide in while I painted it! LOL
Keep the pictures coming!! :clap:
Marsha aka marsva

laketrees
05-04-2005, 09:11 AM
Hi Mikey.....yes it is a big project and I have to submit the drawing to the committee by the end of the week... :eek: ...my wonderful cousin has helped me out...by supplying most of the photos....he's an expert on the history of the whole area...the girl on the left is very pretty....I'd love to put them all in....but I've stopped at 8
Hi Marsha.... :D ...LOL...if I get the job I hope it doesn't rain...have got the hardest part over with...shuffling the people around...and roughed out and started on the details...using 4B and 6B graphite pencils...on canvas board
cheers kim

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-May-2005/54304-sketch_boy.JPG http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-May-2005/54304-sketch_group_5.JPG

LisaArt
05-04-2005, 09:43 AM
MAN Oh MAN Kim, Your drawing is looking amazing..that coal miner child is bang on! You have captured him so well! I love the placement of all the people! :clap: :clap:
I see the butcher, the store clerk, a woman with a hat, a policemen or a railway man, a nurse, Who is the guy on the right in the front? Is that another miner?
That is so great that your cousin was able to provide you with all these neat pics!
I cant belive you have to submit this in a week :eek: OMG, it would take me weeks to do just the drawing....
You go girl...your energy amazes..me...:D please send some my way... :wave:

Artistanne
05-04-2005, 10:35 AM
How cool! This is going to look great Kim, love your sketches so far.

Hey, I have an idea--you could hire me to be your assistant--just order me around and tell me what areas you want painted and how you want them to look--this looks like SO MUCH FUN!!!! :wave:

Spyderbabe
05-04-2005, 10:35 AM
Wouldn't it be great if the committee set up a webcam so everyone could watch in real time!!? This is going to be spectacular!!

Anita Murphy
05-04-2005, 11:42 AM
WOW Kim this is going to be amazing and you are going to have such fun doing it! I used to paint murals though not on this scale. The only challenge is painting on a vertical surface - not slightly sloped! Are you going to have to use scaffolding? No stepping back to see how it looks :D from there!

Gilberte
05-04-2005, 12:24 PM
Wish I had one tenth of your self-confidence in this drawing ... you rock girl !

LisaArt
05-04-2005, 12:41 PM
WOW Kim this is going to be amazing and you are going to have such fun doing it! I used to paint murals though not on this scale. The only challenge is painting on a vertical surface - not slightly sloped! Are you going to have to use scaffolding? No stepping back to see how it looks :D from there!

Oh yes, Kim this is true...boy oh boy! I did not think about that. But when it comes to big you know your stuff!
Anita, that is too funny...no stepping back. :D

Becareful my dear Kim, I want you back in one piece.. :crying:

laketrees
05-04-2005, 08:27 PM
Thankyou so much for dropping by gals.... :)
Lisa you're so funny... I will be careful (if I get the commission.... :D )....love your take on the figures....here's the line up from L to R........butcher ..baker/pastry cook...miner boy...adult miner...in front row....stationmaster...policeman.....nurse...and...blacksmith...back line....your idea really worked with the collage....and helped me to put the figures on the different planes.... :wink2: HA HA ...ENERGY!...orange juice in the morning and red wine in the evening... :D
Anne...LOL...wouldn't it be great if you could all come over and help me...we could call it...Artists Internationale..... :D
Kathleen ...what a brilliant idea..... :clap: ...oh well...who knows... :wink2:
Anita.....so glad you have your name at the bottom...your little pics of your work on your signature line look great!!....LOL....stepping back would be a hazard...my Mum was worried about that too... :D though I do tend to work closeup for hours on end and then get back to look at the final result to see if it has come together...bit like painting upside down...but I wouldn't paint upside down on this job... :eek:
Oh Gilberte...merci merci.... :angel:....so nice to see Linda's lovely portrait of you in OC.... :cool: well better get back to it...just go and check out some threads...hopefully have another 3 done tonight....
Lisa.... :wave: ...Dave said he will catch me if I fall..... :D :p
cheers kim

laketrees
05-05-2005, 01:53 AM
An update ...with crops......using a bit of charcoal pencil with darks.....

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-May-2005/54304-mural_group_5th.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-May-2005/54304-butcher_trio.JPG http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-May-2005/54304-mural_close_up_5th.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-May-2005/54304-mural_miner_5th.JPG

cheers kim

LisaArt
05-05-2005, 03:23 AM
Hi Kim, oh that's your secret. oj and red wine...Yep I have the red wine bit down pat...I will have to switch from my apple to some orange.
Wow, You are working fast. Looks fabulous. Really like the darks you have added. Gives is so much more depth...seeing the left side vs the right side.
The figures are really coming together and I can see their personalities developing. The baker looks like a plump jolly guy, who I would most definitely want to have some treats from. The butcher looks very serious, and experienced in his meats...I also really dig his apron..Got get one like that for Andy when he does the bbq. The stationmaster and policemen look true to their no-nonsense characters...LOL. And that child miner, oh he looks so grown up...and I also find the adult miner in the front...sexy....woohoo :D

I really Like that black shaped shadow in back of the butcher's head...Very KIM! Yep, I have a new style to my art vocabulary...Its called A la Kim!

You know I can see this all done with your paynes grey and whites like your SP...would be awesome!! :cool: I presume all those org. photos are in b&W. I would find it so hard to determine what colours to you... :confused:
Great work Kim! You will be finished very soon, 3 to go. :clap: :wave:
I feel very reassured now..that Dave will be there...to catch you :D

laketrees
05-05-2005, 09:49 AM
Hi Lisa.........thankyou for the lovely interpretation of all of these characters..........I wonder if any of them are still alive or have relatives...that live in Kurri.....I'm glad the blue worked in your painting....can't wait to see it...... :) a lot of the photos are sepia which would be authentic....new style.....LOL...I think the french menus have really influenced you..... :D...cheers kim

have finished the figures...need to work on some contrast and background

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-May-2005/54304-group_5th.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-May-2005/54304-crop_1_5th.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-May-2005/54304-crop_3_5th.JPG

Mikey
05-05-2005, 11:26 AM
It's a tremendous project Kim and I very much like the idea of people who might not ordinarlily appreciate a lot of art taking an interest in this.

BTW I rang Robersons this afternoon and after I'd explained my requirements they are sending me a sample of a new medium which isn't even on the market as yet.

Mikey

SMViolano
05-05-2005, 11:37 AM
I have done murals but never on this scale! WOW!

I will be watching this one- hey a camera idea would be cool!

Gilberte
05-05-2005, 12:51 PM
Amazing how you render them in a 1900's way ............ :cool:

Esmeralinda
05-05-2005, 05:37 PM
WOW ! Kim; you've been busy!!!
Love this. Could I be your second assistant after Anne. :D I am sure we would be very productive and very "admiratrice" of your work.

PHANTOM ART
05-05-2005, 08:02 PM
This is a terrific project Kim and your drawing skills are excellent. After looking at the site, I imagine the figures will be lifesize or larger.

peterpjw
05-06-2005, 03:28 AM
Howdy Kim

Well, I just had to register with WC. Enjoyed your visit last Tuesday evening, and it seems that my library has been very useful! Glad to see you are making progress. I like the sketch and if your past successes are anything to go by, this will be another great work. Wendy has to award this job to you - mad if she doesn't.

All the best

Peter

laketrees
05-06-2005, 06:22 AM
Hi everyone...thanks for dropping by..... :wave:
Thanks Mikey.....it is nice when the community gets involved...that's what ART is all about......please let me know how the new medium works out... :)
Stella...nice to meet you....camera would be... :cool:
Gilberte....I think the clothes and the hats all add up to another era...they all look rather formal in an informal way....or maybe it's my style of drawing... :D
Linda...LOL....the more the merrier...as far as I'm concerned.... :D
Phantom...thankyou......I'm using Alexander (my son) as a guinea pig...he's 6 ft and he fits the overall scale nicely...so the faces would be slightly larger than Alexander's and Charlotte's faces in their last portrait.....
Peterrrrrrrrrrrr....howdy cuz..... :D ...fancy meeting you here....thanks for the back up....hey does this mean you will be critiquing the artwork here.... :D :D thanks for the books ....they have made the job a lot easier.... :wink2:
cheers kim

heres the last stage of drawing ...haven't done a lot...as I'll wait and see what happens with this....e mailed tonight to the co-ordinator (Wendy)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-May-2005/54304-MURAL_SKETCH_COPY.JPG

LisaArt
05-06-2005, 06:58 AM
Hey Kim! WOW It Looks Marvelous! :clap: :clap: :clap:
I am sure Wendy will love it, and I totally agree with your cuz Peter, that she would be totally mad not to award it to you! :D
Alexander is 6ft! WOW!

laketrees
05-06-2005, 07:09 AM
Thanks Lisa....I really thought that I was making it more of a drawing rather than a sketch...so thought maybe at a later date I might use some pastels on it...Dave said I can enter it in a comp...... :evil:
Yep Alexander's getting taller every day...he has to really bend over to give me a hug...and he's only 15.... :eek:
How are you going with your painting????
cheers kim

Anita Murphy
05-06-2005, 08:51 AM
Kim - made me laugh when you said about Alexander bending down to kiss you. I dreaded the moment my son didn't fit under my chin any more. He calls me his little mother now!
There are some people's work on WC that I look forward to seeing every day and you are one of them. I think your style is so distinctive and your method of working is fascinating. The final drawing is fabulous. Super composition. Wonderful!

laketrees
05-06-2005, 09:07 AM
Hi Anita......yes LOL...I'm Alexander's little mum too and Charlotte's as well (and she's only 13)...big feet too....size 10 and 13..... :eek: ...gentle giants eh....thanks for the comments... :) ...I always get to a stage in a work where I think...that's enough...because then I start focusing on all the faults... :evil: ...what are you up to painting wise?
cheers kim

Anita Murphy
05-06-2005, 11:03 AM
My daughter is taller than me too - but only just - and how come they all have such big feet nowadays?????
Not painting much, been a little off colour last few weeks though doing something foolish and attempting Madame X by Sargent - a la me. Taking it slowly and repainting over and over and over - maybe in a few years it will be right! Doing some drawing though. Trying to get my portrait skills up and running instead of dawdling in the ditch!

laketrees
05-07-2005, 12:53 AM
Hi Anita....went over and had a look at your portrait...it's coming along really well...

here's where I'm up to....have been playing around with colours on the computer and come up with a few variations....will submit to the committee...Tuesday the 10th along with original sketch and a few original portraits (eg portrait of Al & Charlie...DAD's portrait and pearl earring)
cheers kim

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-May-2005/54304-MURAL_BLACK_AND_WHITE_STUDYl.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-May-2005/54304-MURAL_SEPIA_STUDY.jpg

all opinions and comments welcome...... :D :D

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-May-2005/54304-MURAL_BLUE_STUDY.jpg

Anita Murphy
05-07-2005, 07:19 AM
I love the blues! Very nice! But then maybe the orangey one is more like sepia and gives the impression of days past. Hmmmmmmmmm - interesting!

laketrees
05-07-2005, 10:40 PM
Hi Anita......thanks for your opinions....I quite like the blues..(good contrast against the red brick walls)....but then the sepia is olde worlde....hmmm....think I'll see what the committee says.....might even experiment with a few more colours on another one...
happy mothers day for tomorrow....it's mothers' day here now....so having a lazy one....... :D

Anita Murphy
05-08-2005, 08:39 AM
Happy Mother's Day back - it was ours in March :D but I get best of both worlds as my Husband is American and he bought me flowers for today! Says I can't claim Mexican mothers day though :mad: which is on Tuesday.

PHANTOM ART
05-09-2005, 05:54 AM
Kim, I think this would look good in a limited palette with blues, browns and ochres similiar to the one you used in the portrait of your children.

Mikey
05-09-2005, 06:05 AM
Kim, I'm sure you'll know which way to take this, but committees? They have to please everybody and in the end nobody. I'm looking forward to seeing it finished.

Mikey

LisaArt
05-09-2005, 06:19 AM
Hi Kim! I love all the variations! :clap:

Spyderbabe
05-09-2005, 11:15 AM
Good luck today!

Gilberte
05-09-2005, 12:50 PM
Good luck today!

echo
echo
echo !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Esmeralinda
05-09-2005, 07:59 PM
Bonjour Kim,

I miss you all so very much. I just cannot find time to share with you all these days. Just too much going on........... :crying:
This is coming along so well, Kim. When will you know if you have the contract.
Personnaly, I like the blue, the most. But also like the others.
Your drawing is awesome. :clap:

Did I say I missed you... :wink2:

Linda xoxo :wave:

laketrees
05-10-2005, 06:41 AM
Hi Guys...thanks all for dropping by and for your good wishes...have been super busy (started at a new school yesterday)...and submitted my sketch this evening....and yes I have the commission....so have to get the colours done IRL...thinking limited palette.....bit more colourful than sepia...the committe were very happy with the sketch and I can start as soon as they get the board primed...probably have to put another miner in on the end as the billboard is longer than my scaled drawing IRL...hopefully get this done by the weekend....thanks again... :clap: everyone... :clap: better go and check out what everyone has been up to..... :D :D
cheers kim

LisaArt
05-10-2005, 07:33 AM
WooHoo Kim! Thats fabulous news! It has made my week! I am soooo happy and excited over here in Copehagen!
I agree with your choice of going for a limited palette..great idea :) and also about adding another miner back there.
You will have to ask Dave or someone over there where you will be doing the billboard painting to take plenty of pics and show them to us! :D
I am so happy mate! Thumbs up! :clap: :clap: :clap: :wave:

laketrees
05-10-2005, 08:08 AM
Hi Lisa......thankyou...thankyou....looks like double oj's every morning from now on..... :D Dave 's going to take heaps of pics...looks like the town is aiming to get into the Guinness Record Book...am posting the links with info...cheers kim

http://www.kurrikurri.com/twh.html (www.kurrikurri.com/twh.html)
http://www.prestoungrange.org/prestoungrange/html/news/show_news.asp?newsid=226&old=91

Anita Murphy
05-10-2005, 08:52 AM
KIM - CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!! Shall be watching every step of this with awe. :clap:

Esmeralinda
05-10-2005, 10:07 AM
FÉLICITATIONS KIM ! You're the best. :clap: :clap:

I am also so very happy for you here from Québec. :wave:

Spyderbabe
05-10-2005, 10:46 AM
Kim - this is great news! It sure will keep you extra busy. Do you hae a break in the school calender coming up?
Wish there WAS a web cam to watch along!!

Mikey
05-10-2005, 10:54 AM
Great new Kim. It sounds like they accept you will know best how to do it.

Mikey

laketrees
05-11-2005, 06:25 AM
Hi ....Anita....Linda...Kathleen....and Mikey....
Thankyou for your salutations..... :D :D :D ...busy researching for colours...going to go with dk blue and white for the butcher apron....think it might be pink and white stripe for the nurses blouse.....browns...and khaki for the miners with some grey....blacksmith the same....baker white....stationmaster and policeman.... :confused: ...dark ..any ideas????
Kathleen ...my school holidays..are due..last 2 weeks of June...(which was the deadline set by the committee) but I'd like to have this finished...so that I might get another mural.... :D :eek: :D
Wish you could all come and help...... :D :D
cheers kim

katelynalain
05-11-2005, 11:12 PM
wow! nice work. i cant wait to see your final pictures. have you ever worked this large? congrats!

peterpjw
05-12-2005, 06:56 AM
G'day cuz

Enjoyed our chat on the phone :wink2: Congrats on the commission. Hope it goes well for you.

Have to agree with Mikey re the committees! You take care now - don't want any nasty letters or worse!!

I'm sure you're taking good care of my **limited edition** books!! :cool: Maybe you can post a shot of them while they are on vacation at the lake, so everyone can see?

Phoned Mum after I spoke to you. She passes on her congrats, but reacted as predicted when I told her who you had been talking to! :cat:

Looking forward to seeing the last miner added and some colours - but don't fret over the colours. It's OK for you to use Artistic Licence on these. Well, there's no one around who witnessed those days anyway!!

Love

Pete
(enjoying a nice little scotch to wind down after a day-long meeting at work!)

laketrees
05-14-2005, 07:50 AM
Hi Katelyn... :wave: ...and Peter.... :wink2: .......thanks for dropping by.....this is a large one for me....have done individual lifesize portraits but not 9 people all together.... :eek:
and the hassle at the moment is doing the colour sketch soooo small..... :(
because I did the original sketch on canvas board....2 ' 10" x 2'...(thats tiny for me.... :eek: ) and I'm colouring it in these rotten pastels....haven't used pastels in years..... :eek: ...just cannot get any detail in their faces...they look like ants..... :( :( ....oh well I won't have that problem with the large mural.....I am adding another female figure on the right end ...(near the miner)....will draw her up tomorrow separately...I have found a good pic out of your book Peter...a very proper welsh school teacher....the "old rhonda book of photos"...funny name for a book....
and I am fretting over the colours.... :crying: ...especially after reading those comments.....from the people at the credit union....no wonder I don't do many commissions.... :mad: :(
well here is the colour sketch so far..... :eek: :eek:...and ...yes I am stressed.... :eek: :eek:...any help...advice...redo in photo shop more than welcome...
cheers kim

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-May-2005/54304-COLOUR_SKETCH.JPG

Anita Murphy
05-14-2005, 09:28 AM
Lol Kim - Rhonda is an area in Wales! The extra female figure will be nice - way too much testosterone going on there!

Gilberte
05-14-2005, 11:17 AM
The blues, browns and greys go perfectly well together. I think you can stick to this palette with lots of confidence. Carry on girl !

dcorc
05-14-2005, 05:40 PM
Hi Kim :wave:

belatedly joining in to cheer you on here! What an exciting project!

All the prep work looks great. Seems like I've come on board just at the right time to start watching the drawing and painting of the mural itself.

Dave

LisaArt
05-15-2005, 05:19 AM
The blues, browns and greys go perfectly well together. I think you can stick to this palette with lots of confidence. Carry on girl !

Hi Kim, I agree with Gilberte. Its super. :clap: :clap: :clap: I cant wait to hear about when you starting doing it big on the mural. I also really like the idea of the school teacher added in as the extra person.
Have a great weekend!

laketrees
05-15-2005, 07:11 AM
Hi Anita...Gilberte...Dave...and Lisa....thanks for calling in have worked a little more on the colour version and quick sketch of the school teacher(lol...Anita...2 females against 7 mails still a bit unbalanced) and e mailed to the organiser....will start on an overall line drawing now scaled to size....think this may be a projector job...transfering the original sketch...onto the billboard.....Thanks all for your comments...felt the sketch was a bit rushed....but then a sketch is a sketch..... :D :D
cheers kim
ps...Lisa....I like your new avatar...lovely pic of you..... :cool:

Mikey
05-15-2005, 07:40 AM
Hi Kim,

I'm thinking just how useful a projector would be for me right now. I'm enlarging an Italian building 8 times from a tiny picture in Gombrich. If you can get one then do use it. I think its difficult to see the whole thing at that size and minor inaccuracies of measurement get magnified.

Mikey

laketrees
05-15-2005, 08:14 AM
Hi Mikey....yes I'm not to worried about the faces and hands....the organiser...Wendy did say she was hoping to get town people to donate photos of their faces for a raffle selection process where the artist paints the faces on the figures....however I'm worried about stepping back accidently off the scaffolding to have a look at the big picture...thank goodness I'm not dealing with perspective like yours....... :D
cheers kim

Esmeralinda
05-15-2005, 09:25 AM
Salut Kim, great progress. Just watch you don't stumble down. :D
You accomplished that oldfashion look so well. Could the nurse maybe have low shoulders ??... just a little nit...
I like the choice of your colours also. Very effective......

Take care and please try not to be too stressed. :wave: :wink2:

Anita Murphy
05-15-2005, 12:53 PM
Kim - we all know two females are worth at least 7 males! :evil:

Mikey
05-15-2005, 01:07 PM
I shall not be drawn into that Anita. :D

Kim, Wendy seems to have come up with a brilliant idea. The press would absolutely love it and so would many people in the locality.

Mikey

laketrees
05-17-2005, 04:22 AM
Hi Linda....hows the tulip festival going...its raining cats and dogs here...and all week :D .....so will probably work on transferring the sketch to overhead transparency....ah yes the nurses shoulders...will look at that...the original photo showed her seated...so her proportions could be out.... :D
Hi Anita...lol....I agree.... :evil:
Hi Mikey.....yes ...great idea...I don't know whether it will happen on this one..as she seems to be super busy.....coordinating...big job.....I'm glad I'm just the artist.... :D
cheers kim

LisaArt
05-17-2005, 05:15 AM
Hi Kim, Just popped by to say Good day Mate! Projector idea is brilliant. And the idea of the towns people faces is interesting. But I like the faces as they are now. Just my opinion. I would be very nervous to paint some of the towns people...LOL..I could not manage a town of critiquers..LOL...Andy is enough! LOLOL
But you my talented friend can do that for sure!

Its been crappy weather here. Sunny, cloudy, rainy. Real island weather happening. I hear Harry Belafonte in my head!
When do you start working on the biggy? I know winter is approaching..It be cold then? I hope not too cold, hard to paint with mittens on. :evil:
Well at least you will have cooler weather to paint in :) Have a great day. :wave:

laketrees
05-17-2005, 05:48 AM
Hi Lisa.....rain...rain ..and more rain...here....I suppose I'll be able to start the mural...when the billboard is primed......gives me time to map out the transparencies for the big drawing.....just had a look at your web site...it's looking great.....very organised.... :D ..exciting to see your new series all together....
hope you have a great day too....mate.... :cat:
cheers kim

PHANTOM ART
05-17-2005, 06:15 PM
CONGRATULATIONS KIM. Hope the weather clears up for you. :)

laketrees
05-18-2005, 06:29 AM
Thanks Phantom...still raining...dogs...cats...and..kangaroos here.... :D :D
cheers kim

laketrees
05-28-2005, 09:02 AM
What a long week......finally got up to kurri to have a look at the billboard....all ready to go this week.....just a little problem with the bush in front of 1/4 of the billboard straight on......scaffolding should be going up Tuesday 31 May....... :eek: ...the power line has been covered since these shots.......
cheers kim

having problems posting pics...so will be back.....

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-May-2005/54304-billboard_1.JPG http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-May-2005/54304-billboard_2.JPG

Gilberte
05-28-2005, 02:17 PM
Wow, that wall looks inviting !
Hope you don't need a series of back/shoulder massages during the process :cool:

Spyderbabe
05-28-2005, 09:37 PM
Just popping in to say hi....wow thats a BIG wall .... do you have to prime it first?

laketrees
05-29-2005, 01:38 AM
Hi Gilberte .....yes was talking to another artist working on another mural and he took one look at Alexander (who's helping me paint our mural with Charlotte) and said Alexanders height will be a bonus (6'1" and still growing!!)...I think I might be able to share Alexander out amongst the other artists...lol...this artist said it is hard on the back....

Hi Kathleen......the billboard that I'm painting on is already primed...a light grey...will probably draft the sketch in brown permanent marker...hopefully Tuesday ...pm...if all goes well

Had a practice at home with the overhead....heres some pics at home with Charlotte as scale model....as well as another mural that's started around the corner a blacksmiths...really massive...compared to mine.... :D ...the other mural of the miner and horse was painted in 2000...it isn't part of the project but I really like it.....it's down the road in the next town...where my parents grew up...they lived in the same street and got married in the church in the that street....
cheers kim
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-May-2005/54304-drawing_-1_overhead.JPG http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-May-2005/54304-drawing_1_overhead.JPG
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-May-2005/54304-charlie_with_oh.JPG http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-May-2005/54304-blacksmiths.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-May-2005/54304-abermain_miner_with_horse.JPG

I have to say the projecting will speed up the drawing process
cheers kim

PHANTOM ART
05-29-2005, 04:35 AM
Kim, are you going to paint the figures in the same style as the portraits of your Father and Children or will you go for a style like your Pearl Earring portrait? I think the entire project is historically fascinating. Good luck with the drawing on Tuesday.

Anita Murphy
05-29-2005, 04:36 AM
WOW Kim this is going to be SO exciting!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Not sure I could handle passers by watching me though - would want it all shrouded so I could paint in private!

LisaArt
05-29-2005, 04:46 AM
WOW, Kim, I agree with Gilberte that mural looks very inviting.
That is so great that Charlotte and Alexander will help you with the mural.
The practice with the overhead looks awesome. You are going to a fantstic job. You know seeing Charlotte as the scale model, you really see how big this will be. Yep, I agree the projector will be very useful and speed up the process. I am curious how will you work that over there in full daylight, or will you wait till a cloudy day or a little later in the early evening.
I also very much like the miner and the horse mural. This is such an interesting project personally and historically. I am so happy you are here to share it with us. :)
You must be so excited to start working on the real one and Yes Good luck with the drawing on Tuesday.
Thanks for those great pics! :clap: :wave:

Mikey
05-29-2005, 07:04 PM
A fantastic opportunity Kim.

Mikey

laketrees
05-30-2005, 05:38 AM
Hi Phantom.....I am going to leave the faces blank first off and play it by eye....the original faces in the photos are so tiny...there aren't any details....so still thinking about faces ...features ...and style.....looking at time span as well...think the cubist style could work to give a greater impression of depth....this mural can be viewed from the road for approx a kilometre away so will look at this aspect when I start painting...thanks for the good wishes...... :)
Hi Anita.......lol......don't know how I feel about the public watching.....will have to wait and see..... :D
Hi Lisa........I don't think the projection should be a problem in daylight but we're keeping our fingers crossed on the power hookup.....will be trying out a generator...because there isn't a near enough power supply after hours ...thanks for the luck....I think I'll be happy when the initial drawing is up as I will have a much better idea of the big picture..... :D
Hi Mikey....yes looking forward to the start tomorrow and where my heart leads me from there..... that's the exciting thing about art isn't it?... ;)

Esmeralinda
05-30-2005, 08:14 AM
Ah! Salut ma belle Kim :wave:
Is it Tuesday yet down under ? :D
That building looks exactly like one around here. Wish it was...I could drop by to encourage you and have a glass of wine with you after. ;)

Is the weather cooperating ? We are getting a bit of everything around here.

Watch your step and thanks for the great pics........... :wave:

laketrees
05-31-2005, 08:30 AM
Hi Linda....Tuesday pm here and we have the drawing finished....have a few wines for me as I missed mine tonight... :D ..first day of winter tomorrow so will be rugging up from now on....I'm being very careful with the scaffolding...the kids didn't want me to come up on the thing so I supervised from a distance....gee maybe I can get them to paint it all too..lol....actually I can't wait to pick up the brushes ...it's been a while...and I feel as if I have forgotten how to paint.... :eek: alas the board is too long.... :eek: so looks like an extra 2 figures on the left end to fill the blank spot.....will have to put a post in left side of the butcher as he was originally leaning on one ...here are the latest pics....all of us doing different jobs...including holding the projector steady and taking photos...found out tonight that someone is recording the painting of these murals on DVD and there is a book being published in the future....
Lisa you were right about the lighting....nothing until sunset.....and then it took about an hour for the kids to draw it in...I'm still building up the courage to go up the scaffolding...lol....will get the 2 figures in Friday night and start painting Saturday morning..
ps ...each mural has a kookaburra somewhere in each mural....so strange as we believe our Dad is a kookaburra now ...so we are all wondering where to put our special kookaburra.... :angel: ;)
cheers kim
pps...that's Dave in the middle with the kids...lol...looks like we're both shrinking and the kids keep getting taller...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-May-2005/54304-projection_2.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-May-2005/54304-dave_and_kids.JPG http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-May-2005/54304-kim_and_kids.JPG

Anita Murphy
05-31-2005, 10:04 AM
Looking good Kim!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LisaArt
05-31-2005, 10:42 AM
WOW Kim....Holy Koalas! That is huge when we see it like that. I would [email protected] a brick going up on that scaffholiding! Looks like C & A did an amazing job with the drawing. That is just super. They get their talent from there mom!
Oh yes, you have to put special kookaburra in. Your dad will be behind you every step of the way and take care of you on that scaffholding and during your painting…....I cant belive how tall your Alex is. And Charlotte too. You and Dave look great! A happy handsome couple! It looks quite chilly now in Oz. Well good luck with the painting job on Saturday Kim! I hope for nice weather for you. Wear very good stable runners...okay...You are in good shape so dont worry. Might be strange at first, but then you will get very comfortable.
Girl, You can never forget to paint, its in your soul! It will go very smoothly! Please do keep on sending pics, I love seeing them. This is the highlight of my boring old week of housework…LOL…my parents arrive in 3 days! Hurray!

Spyderbabe
05-31-2005, 03:35 PM
I know ou must be just itching to get started!
Here's to good weather!

haaf
06-01-2005, 02:27 AM
great project!!
great family project
wish you all of the success weatherwise and other this coming saturday........seems very well thought out and thought over project
Great sharing it with us...( it seems I always forget there's a wip forum.....) :wave:

Esmeralinda
06-02-2005, 10:12 PM
How are you "Cheers Kim" ! Just wanted to let you know I was thinking of you (and probably many others). We all with you. Take care.

So proud of you and your Family. :clap:

laketrees
06-04-2005, 08:19 AM
Hi Guys...thanks for dropping by.....Anita....Linda.... Lisa... and Caroline....this week since Wednesday has been a shocker (school)....started painting this morning with Alexander.......Saturday....Charlotte came on board this arvo (after ballet teaching)..she started on the miner boy's shoe and lower pants.......we're pretty happy so far.......2 extra figures drawn up and ready for tomorrow...a soldier (my dad's father) and a milliner with charlottes face.....alexander painted the butcher and blocked in the pastry cook and policeman...I worked all day on the miner (my other grandfather (he was a miner)..will hopefully get soldier and milliner and post that butcher is leaning on done tomorrow...here are the pics of today....quite warm here and the paint was drying soooo fast...almost as soon as it went on the wall.....bit different to oils .... :eek: :eek: I think we got a tan out in the sun.....cheers kim

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Jun-2005/54304-charlie_and_alex_saturday4.JPG http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Jun-2005/54304-saturday_4_kim_mural.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Jun-2005/54304-mural_satuday_kim_and_alex.JPG http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Jun-2005/54304-saturday_crop_4.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Jun-2005/54304-packing_up_sat_4_mural.JPG

peterpjw
06-04-2005, 08:26 AM
Hi Kim and Cheer Squad! :clap:

Sorry for my absence for a while - I had to deliver a couple of papers at a state conference in Sydney this week, and have been very busy.

I live about 25km from the mural site, and my Mum lives only 2km from the site. I was invited to dinner at Mum's tonight, and drove past the mural site at dusk (late as usual). And guess what I saw... :D

Two tall talented Aussie kids up the scaffolding, with the "Artiste" directing from below. Wish I had time to stop to cheer them on. I was driving the wrong direction to get a good look.

On the way home, the talented crew had departed, but I stopped across the road anyway. It was too dark to see much, but I could make out the butcher's apron!

Folks, this is going to be one of the best murals in the town, I reckon, but you all know I'm a bit biased! :wink2:

Go team!! Dave's a trooper, isn't he?

All the best

Peter

laketrees
06-04-2005, 08:54 AM
Hi Peter.....thanks for dropping by.....will drop into your Mum's next weekend...(being a long one )...my Mum's coming up too so will bring books as well...hopefully we'll catch up......sounds like you've had a busy week...thanks for the compliment....the blacksmith mural round the corner is finished (I think) ..he has done a great job on it ..took a quick shot of it this arvo.....must have been challenging painting on the colour bond.....
Dave's a triple trooper...taxi driver....paint collector...and brush cleaner...and he just loves talking to all the people going by...... :D :D...so we don't have to stop painting.....biggest hassle is getting up and down the b##### scaffolding to see it from a distance...so half the time I'm asking Dave what he thinks.... :rolleyes: he loves it....... :wave: kim

Hi Kathleen .....missed your post.....and yes ..it's good to have started.... :)
cheers kim... :wave:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Jun-2005/54304-blacksmith_4.JPG

Anita Murphy
06-04-2005, 09:17 AM
Kim this is looking wonderful already! Are you having fun? Lots of people stopping to watch? Don't forget the sunblock!

laketrees
06-04-2005, 09:23 AM
Ha ha Anita...I think we will have the hats on for tomorrow.....another sunny one predicted..and the glare of the billboard is so strong....how are you going with your sp????
cheers kim

Esmeralinda
06-04-2005, 10:16 AM
Great pictures! It is super that you take the time to share with us.
You're such a cool gal ! :cool:

Wish we had winters here like yours ! :envy:
I envy Peter for being so close and can see this in person.

Dana and Dave; this should become a "Very Special Thread" because of all this great information, pictures and generous sharing....

Hey guys, lets all vote for a Special Mention for Kim, .... (but what and how can we do)...any ideas??? :clap: :clap: :clap:

laketrees
06-04-2005, 10:34 AM
Hi Linda......you are too kind.... :cool: ....I just love....having the chance to share my work on WC......sort of like the icing on the cake...and ..being inspired by all the generous artists here.....it is so nice to have such genuine support.....you even have me thinking of painting flowers...now...after seeing your latest floral tribute..... :D ...maybe ....when I retire..... :D
cheers kim

laketrees
06-05-2005, 06:19 AM
Hi....heres the latest after a day's painting....had a visit from the chairman of the committee and the mayor ....have been asked to e mail photo to Wendy for newspaper article.....
we have a routine happening now...I'm painting the faces and hands...Alexander is painting clothes and blocking in and Charlotte is painting lines/shadows......meanwhile Dave is general supervisor and PR man... :D :D
not as sunny today so the paint was easier to work with....will be painting 3 days next weekend (long weekend) and hoping to finish the following weekend
the soldier is my Dad's father...the milliner is Charlotte and the miner is my Mum's father......
cheers kim

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Jun-2005/54304-sunday_5_1.JPG http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Jun-2005/54304-mural_5_2.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Jun-2005/54304-mural_5_3.JPG http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Jun-2005/54304-mural_5_4.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Jun-2005/54304-mural_5_5.JPG http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Jun-2005/54304-MURAL_SUN_1.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Jun-2005/54304-MURAL_2_SUN.JPG http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Jun-2005/54304-MURAL_3_SUN.JPG

Mikey
06-05-2005, 06:40 AM
Kim, I am thrilled to see this taking shape. It is art for everyman to enjoy and in some sense has a common ownership. It brings art to so many more people and has a relevance to the people of your town.

Mikey

laketrees
06-05-2005, 06:52 AM
Thanks Mikey for dropping by....yes...to think I was born here ...never lived here and have finally returned to this...I feel as if I know the people even though I haven't grown up with them..........
cheers kim

Esmeralinda
06-05-2005, 01:29 PM
Great pictures again ! Thanks ! Both your children are left handed !
This is great team work. Hope you're enjoying every moment. Imagine this event in your hearts for life. Great Family. :clap:

Gilberte
06-05-2005, 03:47 PM
Holy Santa Maria ...

If you weren't that far away I'd send some television station to film this exciting enterprise. And as Linda said ... Imagine this event in your hearts for life :clap: :wave:

katelynalain
06-05-2005, 05:43 PM
congrats kim!!!!!! :clap:
it's looking great. so great!
you are lucky to have such handy helpers. :)
cant wait to watch it grow.

LisaArt
06-06-2005, 04:09 AM
Hi-ya Kim, Double Santa Marias from me :) This is really looking beautiful and I can’t believe how quick you guys are working :clap: It looks very organized up there on the scaffolding
Kim, I really love the two other figures you added, and what a genius idea to use the faces of Charlotte and your Grandpa. :cool:
C & A, look like such great helpers! This is a project you will remember always. And thanks so much for sharing it with us. Would love to have your team helping me out with my painting... :D
I agree with Peter, It's going to be the best Mural in Town! Well, the darn best mural in all of Australia :clap: :clap: :clap:
I also agree with Gilberte about sending a television crew!
and Linda, for an award/medal in WC.
I have rated this thread as excellent!

Gilberte
06-06-2005, 09:21 AM
Good thing Lisa mentioned it ...
I came back to rate the thread as excellent as well !!!
Cheers !

Spyderbabe
06-06-2005, 01:05 PM
Love it! Love it! Love it!

I had the joy of doing a mural with my son, the teacher - on the wall of his classroom! - This was 2 summers ago and it was one of the best experiences I've had..... hope to do another wall in his room this summer....

This project of yours is too wonderful..... can't wait to see next weekends work.
Kathleen

Squib
06-06-2005, 06:08 PM
Kim, I kept popping in here to see how you were doing - then I subscribed to the thread !!! It's getting like my favourite TV programme - just can't miss it !!! It's fabulous - and you are all doing a great job. Hope you sign it - big and bold. :)

PHANTOM ART
06-06-2005, 08:08 PM
Kim the mural looks wonderful. :clap: Your children are certainly following in your footsteps.Your Dad's father looked very young to be in the war. How old was he? Was your Mother's father a worker in the mines?

laketrees
06-07-2005, 08:33 AM
Hi Guys...thankyou all for dropping by and for your wonderful support!!!!

Hi Linda......you are observant and....yes the kids are both southpaws.....they think with the creative side of their brains too....we're all really enjoying working together ...great for family bonding.... :D :wink2:

Hi hi..Gilberte....he he ...reality art....there certainly wouldn't be any squabbling over the paint....brushes...etc.....actually I can't believe how harmonious it has been...we all seem to be focused on own little area of painting space....thanks so much for the rating...you're a pal..... :angel:

Thanks Katelyn....watching this grow has certainly...been different...especially with the extra figures...and not being able to step back and have a look every 5 minutes or so....couldn't believe Alexanders face when he first got down to have a look at his work...he was so surprised!!! to see the big picture....which is so opposite to the close-up.....it's a real learning curve for all of us..... :)

Thanks...Lisa.....for the great compliments.....maybe you can be my PR agent!!!...you're so right about the extra figures...I was a bit curious about the end composition but I think it adds more interest and the milliner is a delight...very light and frothy...we are looking forward to seeing the whole thing as one composition...going to use Alexander's face for the policeman and his two cousins for the stationmaster and miner boy....my great grandmother was a school teacher so she will be in there too...and my Mum's cousin was a nurse so she will be there as well....all falling together.... :wave: hope your parents had a great time with you and Andy at the weekend.... :cat:

Hi Kathleen...your school mural sounded like lots of fun....you will have to post your next one in WIP....and it is great fun...as the kids and I have never worked like this together...much better than doing homework together.... :D :evil:

Hi Lorraine....yes we're all looking forward to the next episode too...lol....we think we might put our special kookaburra with our signatures.....Dad was renowned for his murals...and I think he had something to do with us getting this commission....even though he's not with us anymore I believe his spirit in this mural will be very strong.... :)

Hi Phantom...thankyou....my Pop Barker was 21 years old when he went to war...he lost his father (in France)...his younger brother (who put his age up to 18 to go to war)....one month later...another brother who returned and (died from the gas) aged in his 40s..another brother who was injured at Gallipolli and returned home with shrapnel injuries...and another brother from the flu epidemic (he was a school teacher)......his Mother asked for my Pop to be brought back from the war on compassionate grounds...because she had suffered such a devastating loss...the most family members lost in one family (in the region)...so sad.....
my Pop James was a miner...his family owned a private mine and he started in the mines very young and worked all of his life to become a manager in the local mine........he was also on the council and ran the NSW Eisteddfod in this area for years (the biggest Eisteddfod in the state - which is still running)

Thanks everyone...it's so rewarding to be able to talk about the work with such an artistic bunch of creative and enthusiastic souls..... :wave: :wave:
cheers kim

A Few Pigments
06-07-2005, 05:58 PM
Hi Kim, I’ve been following your progress and reading your posts about your family. It’s amazing your family had so much hardship because of the war. I only had one uncle in WW2 and thank god he came back alive because he was the one who introduced me to photography and art. Unfortunately he died about 15 years ago and I still miss talking to him about photography.

Since you’re Welsh I was wondering if you listen to BBC Radio Wales at all. Here’s the link http://www.bbc.co.uk/wales/radiowales/ there are some really good shows on it. I especially like the Chris Needs Show http://www.bbc.co.uk/wales/radiowales/shows/chrisneeds.shtml

You’re mural is coming along brilliantly. I hope your town appreciates all the hard work you and your family are putting into it.

laketrees
06-08-2005, 02:48 AM
Hi Bruce ..thanks for the links...they look interesting...and I'm sure my Mum would like them too....
My Pop's family were all in the first war.....I don't think anyone in our family were the right age for the second one....I have a wonderful photo of Pop's Father and brothers all in uniform...make a great painting.....
you were lucky with your uncle though......
I was sent a press release draft from Wendy on Monday...so it looks like a photo and story in the papers....we really feel they appreciate our work... :D
cheers kim

A Few Pigments
06-08-2005, 02:54 AM
A painting of the lads in uniform sounds like a great idea. I was thinking you could donate it to the veterans of WW1 in honor of the sacrifices your family and all the families made. Well, it’s just a thought.

laketrees
06-08-2005, 03:29 AM
Great idea Bruce....even a mural...maybe.... :D ...sad because each year we have less and less WW 1 veterans still alive...in fact I think the number Australia wide is really small.....so sad .....kim
my son has just told me there is only one original digger left in Australia.. :crying:

laketrees
06-09-2005, 02:59 AM
Hi Guys
Here is the photo of my great grandmother (on my Mum's side..the miners mother) she will be the school teacher on the end and I have got that photo out of Peter's book..called Coal and Community...(thanks cuz... :D )....

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Jun-2005/54304-great_grandma.JPG

and the Barker boys...Mum found this last night....ta Mum... :angel:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Jun-2005/54304-barker_family.JPG

Back row is Lambert served 4yrs abroad (came home and died 45yrs of age from gas), and John 17yrs(killed in France)
Front row is Tom (wounded at Gallipoli, shrapnel in the face), father James ( killed in France one month after John), and my Pop Barker, Job, brought home from France by his mother on compassionate grounds.
Eldest son (James Jnr.) did not go to the war but died during the war years at 28yrs of age from pneumonia.
kim

Gilberte
06-09-2005, 03:15 AM
Aren't they grand these old photos except that their stories aren't very happy ...
Ciao bella !

laketrees
06-09-2005, 03:36 AM
So....so true Gilberte...I'm just printing up the reference photos for this weekend....and I wonder if they're watching me..... :angel:
chow bella to you too.... :D
cheers kim

PHANTOM ART
06-10-2005, 05:57 AM
Kim, thankyou for posting the photos and history of your grandfathers. The story of your Pop Barker is very moving and I'm sure that you will convey that in his figure in your mural.

Anita Murphy
06-10-2005, 06:24 AM
Kim - superb job!
Are you enjoying it?
And the kids?

laketrees
06-11-2005, 06:26 AM
Hi Phantom...yes Pop Barker has got that look in his eyes...I think they might be a bit big actually but hopefully will fine tune when I have all the figures in... :)

Hi Anita...thanks...yes the kids are enjoying it and learning heaps...Alexander's getting to be quite the expert on clothes and Charlotte's happy with lines and shoes...lol...and ...I love it...but then I'd be happy painting just about anything...as long as I'm PAINTING....lol :D :wave:

Today's work...7 hours...Saturday here...so have another 2 days this weekend...rain today so Dave set up an emergency tarpoline.....just Alexander and I as Charlotte had Ballet....Alexander worked on the clothes (soldier and miner boy)...Iworked on faces....the butcher...(think he looks like Marlon Brando...made him up)...stationmaster...(my nephew)...policeman..(Alexander)...and..baker..(my aunties...brother in law)....getting lots of practice doing quick portraits.... :D :D ....so different to lengthy oils.... :evil:
will do miner boy...nurse.....and miner's hands tomorrow.....kids will be working on more clothes.....think the rain is here for the weekend....and it's turned quite cold...brrrrrrr ...few proportions off as I'm putting faces on alien bodies...will adjust when I get all figures in...Alexander's hat is definitely too narrow for his face ...and shoulders too high on a couple of figures...
cheers kim

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Jun-2005/54304-June_11_a.JPG http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Jun-2005/54304-JUNE_11_B.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Jun-2005/54304-JUNE_11_C.JPG http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Jun-2005/54304-JUNE_11_D.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Jun-2005/54304-JUNE_11_I.JPG http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Jun-2005/54304-JUNE_11_K.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Jun-2005/54304-JUNE_11_L.JPG

A Few Pigments
06-11-2005, 06:50 AM
Hi Kim, you’re really moving fast on this one. I thought the background would always be painted in first on a mural like this, but I think Michelangelo painted in the figures first for the frescos he did in the Sistine Chapel.

laketrees
06-11-2005, 07:04 AM
Hi Bruce.....Yeah...that's acrylic housepaint for you..... :D I always put figures in first as I always play the the background by ear (or is it eye.... :wink2: )..that way....I can hopefully fix up any imbalances in the composition.......not sure exactly what's happening with the background ...as the original sketch was so different and so sketchy....and I think I will have to get back from it and look at the overall "big" picture...
hey when are you starting your sistine chapel like painting???? :D don't tell me you're going to work on that as well as Mona..... :eek:.. :evil: ..at the same time....
cheers kim

A Few Pigments
06-11-2005, 07:16 AM
Originally posted by laketrees
I always put figures in first as I always play the the background by ear
I hear ya. Some people say Van Gogh played things by ear, but only half of the time.

I don’t think I’ll really do copies of Michelangelos frescos. I’m afraid of heights…lol :eek: :(

laketrees
06-11-2005, 07:24 AM
I’m afraid of heights…
LOL Bruce
and there's nothing like painting a mural to get rid of a fear of heights....so I empathise.....all you need is a harness and you'll be right with your fresco project..... :D :angel:

Gilberte
06-11-2005, 08:59 AM
Jolly comments between the two of you :p

I really do enjoy your *go-along* postings Kim. What an enterprise ... the cooperative Laketrees family ... somewhat like the Michelangelo team in Rome :D . I have fear of heights as well !
I noticed the electricity poles in the street, we don't have those any more and I always love to see ordinary scenes of different countries, the beautiful nature ones we have them on National Geographic television.

Keep going and sharing!
:wave:

dcorc
06-11-2005, 09:08 AM
AMAZING work, Kim ! What a spectacular and exciting project this is!

Dave

Mikey
06-11-2005, 10:29 AM
Hey Kim, I'm just looking on delighted to see a family working together like this.

Hi Bruce, great joke. :D :wave:

Mikey

Brush-in-my-hand
06-11-2005, 07:13 PM
Gosh, Kim, this is Cia from The Art Place. WOW, I'm so glad I came here!
You are really doing great, and this looks like so much fun (and work).
I will be back!!!!!!!
Cia

laketrees
06-12-2005, 04:58 AM
Hi ya..Gilberte....so glad to hear your enjoying the journey....hot one minute...cold the next...so we were all swapping t shirts...because I went rugged up had to borrow Alexanders and he got one out of our art rag bag...sensible Charlotte came prepared for all types of weather.....thank goodness there wasn't any rain...... :D glad you like the old tele poles...you get used to them when you see them all the time....hard getting used to that darned tree in front of the mural though... :evil:
Hi Dave....thanks ...we're hoping we might get a few more of these commissions.... :cool:
Hi Mikey.......4 hours painting today....certainly keeping us busy and off the streets...... :wink2:
Hello there..... Cia....so good to see you here.... :clap: ...been so busy I haven't had time to drop in at the Art Place......love your fluttering fairy..... :wave: :wave:

Here's our day's work....nurse (my Mum's cousin...who was a nurse and looks a lot like Mum) and half of miner boy (my other nephew) Charlotte painted the nurse's blouse and Alexander worked on the stationmaster's and policeman's jackets and the miner's clothes.....Dave took the pics and was good PR...agent ...
tomorrow Mum is coming up with us...hope to get last 2 figures in .....the blacksmith and schoolteacher.......my Mum's sister dropped by with my cousin and her daughters today to have a look at the work.... getting people stopping to view and talk about the work... :) :) getting nice positive feedback.....
cheers kim

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Jun-2005/54304-JUNE_12_A.JPG http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Jun-2005/54304-JUNE_12_B.JPG
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Jun-2005/54304-JUNE_12_C.JPG http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Jun-2005/54304-JUNE_12_D.JPG
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Jun-2005/54304-JUNE_12_E.JPG http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Jun-2005/54304-JUNE_12_F.JPG

Mikey
06-12-2005, 05:09 AM
That miners face looks exceptional on the screen, Kim.

Mikey

laketrees
06-12-2005, 05:23 AM
Thanks Mikey...so many portraits and I see new things that need adjusting every day....such great practice though....it's a challenge when the paint is drying as fast as you put it on.....so different to oils......the positive is if you make a mistake you just paint straight over it...the negative is working with the basic colours...oh for some naples yellow light!!
cheers kim

Gilberte
06-12-2005, 09:03 AM
You know Kim, It actually shows you enjoy painting this a lot and a lot.
Admire you for the personality in the persons' faces you portray so well !
Ciao !

Esmeralinda
06-12-2005, 04:31 PM
Such fantastic work Kim ! Great portraits ! :clap:
Love that last picture of you laughing. You look superb ! :clap:

May I suggest to be careful to always have clean nostrils though, with that kind of view, you never know... :D :D

Gilberte
06-13-2005, 03:23 AM
May I suggest to be careful to always have clean nostrils though, with that kind of view, you never know...

:evil: :cat: :evil: :cat: :evil: that's a good one !

laketrees
06-13-2005, 04:38 AM
Hi Linda and Gilberte....ROFL....you two.......I'm more worried about the wide shots of the derriere......and today I was mistaken for a bloke....there's Alexander and I painting away merrily and this guy jumped out of his car to enquire about the mural and said "g'day gents" luckily I didn't hear him.. :evil:

Today's work.....had a lot of visitors today ...so didn't get the final 2 figures in....lots of yakity yak yak....relatives and another artist from around the corner.......today's pics with the kids in white "painting suits" supplied by nanny (my Mum)..... :D :D weather was a bit cold...but not rainy...think we might have another 2 weekends worth....starting at another new school tomorrow....thank goodness it's only 4 days this week...and then 2 more weeks until school holidays... :clap: :clap:
cheers kim

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Jun-2005/54304-JUNE_13_A.JPG http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Jun-2005/54304-JUNE_13_B.JPG
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Jun-2005/54304-JUNE_13_C.JPG http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Jun-2005/54304-JUNE_13_D.JPG
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Jun-2005/54304-JUNE_13_E.JPG http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Jun-2005/54304-JUNE_13_F.JPG

ps .....Peter...your Mum has your books....thanks heaps and I owe you a bottle of wine....... :wink2: red or white...???..or both?.... :p

Esmeralinda
06-13-2005, 01:17 PM
Kim, you painted that young boy so so well. He still has his youth look but yet has a man's pride. He's my favourite.

laketrees
06-14-2005, 07:16 AM
Hi Linda ....thanks for calling in..... :wave: :wave: I think the boy could be the focal point of the mural...and Alexander did a great job on his clothes....and Charlotte with his shoe....... :D... I mustn't forget to acknowledge my assistants...as they might walk off the job..... :rolleyes: :D

just checked out your studio photos thread in water colour......how impressive :clap: ......hope you're celebrating?? :p
cheers kim

Anita Murphy
06-14-2005, 07:52 AM
This is coming on SO fast! You must be painting 24/7!
Have you had any comments from passersby yet?

laketrees
06-14-2005, 08:36 AM
Hi Anita ..... :wave: ....yes we are painting fast at weekends....and lots of positive comments too.....I'm the most critical after I see the faces on the computer...different to real life...and of course I'm only getting to see the real thing each weekend...hard for me to get used to as I tend to live with my paintings and eat sleep and breathe with them...so I go through separation anxiety everytime we leave Kurri...... :eek: the good thing is Dave and the kids are living with a "real" person (at home) and not an artist at the moment..... :D
how's your painting going??
cheers kim

Spyderbabe
06-14-2005, 10:22 AM
Looking soooo good Kim!

PHANTOM ART
06-15-2005, 02:42 AM
KIM, Wonderful progress!! :clap: :clap:

laketrees
06-15-2005, 05:58 AM
Thanks sooooo much Kathleen...... :D :wave:
Thanks....Phantom......it's getting there..... :wave:
cheers kim

laketrees
06-18-2005, 04:27 AM
Hi Guys ...only 4 hours today....really cold......the kids had a break and it was me...alone.....(Dave and the kids were happy helpers.... started on my great grandmother's face (school teacher).....2 hrs...then wasted the other 2 hours working on the miners hands....darned difficult as I have no clear reference.......painted over them and will let them sit for a week.....have posted the 2 newspaper articles that came out on Wednesday and today....one local the other regional....
cheers kim...ps have the sniffles so may take a break tomorrow if I'm not feeling 100%......

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Jun-2005/54304-GREAT_GRANDMA_CROP.JPG http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Jun-2005/54304-KIM_DRAWING_18.JPG
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Jun-2005/54304-KIM_FINISHED_18.JPG http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Jun-2005/54304-MURAL_F_L_18.JPG
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Jun-2005/54304-MURAL_PAPER_POST.JPG http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Jun-2005/54304-PAPER_POST_CROP.JPG
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Jun-2005/54304-PAPER_MERCURY.JPG

one more face to go....blacksmith..in between miner and school teacher...making him a bit bigger than the original....

Mikey
06-18-2005, 05:07 AM
Hi Kim, great press and I'll look forward to seeing that background.:D

Mikey

Brush-in-my-hand
06-18-2005, 06:55 AM
Wow, Kim, you know what, in the picture of you standing in front of the people, it almost looks like there are real people there with you!

Maybe you can find some "hand" reference photos on the net. Hands are the HARDEST thing to do in a portrait.

Cia

p.s. Feel better!

Anita Murphy
06-18-2005, 08:31 AM
Kim, this continues to amaze me.

Gilberte
06-18-2005, 02:50 PM
Great ... great ... great Kim to keep us posted this way.
J'adore it !!!
You're handling this work so well but then, I'm not surprised at all and you'll certainly bring the hand or hands to a good end !
Kurri Kurri, what a funny name for a town ... sounds like the middle of Africa to me :evil:
Take care !

laketrees
06-18-2005, 10:42 PM
Hi Mikey..thanks.....yes that background of yours has inspired me to look at non-representational... :evil: perhaps using those colours (in yours) and tonal blocks...I think the composition has so many figures that the background should not be distracting.....even a Degas inspired background may work in sombre values....

Thanks Cia......I'm trying to make the figures look as 3 D as possible so I'm glad you saw them that way....some are more 3 D than others so will need to go back and adjust....ah yes those hands...Dave has gone next door to get a photo of the neighbours hands....similiar build and height to the miner in the original photo...will work on those today as my cold isn't any better and it's way too cold to work outside today...thanks for the good wishes.... :) :angel: :)

Hi Anita...I was very happy with the portrait of the school teacher...wouldn't mind doing again on canvas...at a later date....when I have some spare time.... :evil:...so far we have spent about 6 days...hoping to finish in approximately 2 weeks...that's another 4 days (weekend time)..that's if the hands and feet don't cause too many problems for me.... :evil:

Hi Gilberte........Thanks......LOL..... quite a pun on hands there.... :p ...handling this cold at the moment is .... :eek: :eek:
Dave's just come back with the neighbours hands...think they will be great.... :wink2: ...
Kurri Kurri.....means..."to hurry along"...or "to go".....in Aboriginal.....native language...so you weren't to far off with the reference to Africa..... :D ...we have lots of double named towns and cities eg Wangi Wangi...Wagga Wagga.....trust us ozzies to repeat them...you would think we'd get it the first time without the echo.......... :D
cheers kim

Spyderbabe
06-18-2005, 10:49 PM
Just great !!! Can you hear all of us cheerleaders here in the States?!
Take care of your cold........
K

peterpjw
06-19-2005, 12:11 AM
Hi Kim and threadsters

Such a lot of activity on this thread since my last visit! Very successful, isn't it!

Kim, thanks for returning my books - they enjoyed their holiday on the lake!

Mum was thrilled to see your work developing. Unfortunately, I haven't been past the mural site since my last post here, so can't give any further appraisal, I'm sorry to say. However, I have seen the press clippings, and the quotes from Wendy were quite gushing!

Well done to Charlotte and Alexander too, and Dave deserves a medal!! :wink2:

I like the way that "Mam" (the school teacher) is developing. As you know, Kim, I share a birthdate with her (our great grandmother) and I also have the same name as the minister that married our great grandparents (spooky!), so I am glad that you have chosen to include her in your mural. By honouring our late ancestors and relatives in your mural, you are helping to keep their memory alive.

Very proud...

Peter

laketrees
06-19-2005, 12:11 AM
Hi Kathleen......it's super having the support here...... :cool: ...I'm counting on you all to let me know if there's anything you see that could need fixing as well...so hard when it gets to that familiar big picture and you lose sight of the details...like ears and things being even and in the right places... :evil:
just as well you're not here at this stage as I simply reek of garlic......and chilli.... :rolleyes: ...trying to get rid of this cold "the natural way".... :(
cheers kim
Hi Peter...just crossposted.....eerie..... :eek: :eek: you having the same birthday as our great "mam"....(didn't know she was called that)....I think she was helping yesterday as her portrait was one of the easiest to do....every thing just fell into place ...I hope she likes it...... :evil: ...I think I've probably made her look pretty serious....but I think that comes from the stories my Mum told me about her...... :wink2: ..looks like it might be raining up your way....happy your books are home...I could not have done this mural without them..... :) :)
see ya cuz..... :wave: ...kim

Esmeralinda
06-19-2005, 07:10 AM
Kim, Alexander and Charlotte; you have great talent and also beautiful qualities....perseverence and knowing how to share. You are all so beautiful up there. :clap:

Btw; we have a city here called "St-Louis du Ha Ha". It is the funniest name I ever heard of for a City and can't stop laughing everytime I pass there. :D

Take care you all and wear warm clothes. :(

laketrees
06-20-2005, 05:24 AM
Hi Linda....thanks for the lovely compliments.....lol....you must have a lot of happy people living in a place with a name like that...... :D .....how did your weekend show go?...hope it was as good as the last one......got the flu here and so all the good news is helping me feel better....very.... happy and honoured to be a guide in OC......good news at my new school too...have been asked to paint a mural on the kindergarten building wall....so will be merrily muralling for quite a while.... :D :D....think the word is getting around about the mural.... ;)
cheers kim

Esmeralinda
06-20-2005, 07:24 AM
Good for you! "YOU ARE THE MURAL SPECIALIST" :D Kindergarden will be lots of fun to do, I'm sure.
Congrads for your nomination. Wow! Guide!

You also make me feel better. My week-end went okay, just that half the people came this year. They are scared of my road... :eek: bumpy and lots of hills ! But still sold 6 in total and got 3 interesting commissions (big size ones like I love doing). So I should not be so depressed, right ? :( I might hear from 2 more people about paintings this week. I've got the postshow blues, I guess... :D
I am a positive person ... "la vie continue".....(life goes on).

Thanks for being here for me. :wave: And take care of the flu ! :( :wink2:

laketrees
06-21-2005, 01:10 AM
Hi Linda...that's marvellous news...sounds like you will have to do something about that road of yours.....yes I'm on cold tablets and at home today..........don't be blue for too long....... :( ...I'm sure you will get started on some of your.... :clap: ....paintings....wow 3 commissions.....you will be busy....what subjects are they?
cheers kim

Esmeralinda
06-21-2005, 08:34 AM
Hi Kim, how are you feeling today or tomorrow (downunder) :D ?

My neighbour's boyfriend asked me to paint an African scene with a sunset and a tree. It will remind her of their vacation.....weird to paint a place when you haven't been there but I'll do my best with the pics I have.

Then a young mother ask me to paint her 4 children and dog along the River side. Just a suggestion of them, no portraits....phew or is it few.... :eek: on a 36"X30" size canvas.

A third and one of my favourites is a scene of woods looking through to the river but the dimension is interesting....a 30"X18".

Last but not least, I also was asked to paint Albert Einstein's portrait on a 36"X30" canvas. :clap: That will be fun. I have painted him 3 times already different ways...I have a sketch in the wc gallery.

Also got a phone call last night and sold a little painting a lady was looking at on Sunday.

So I am happy....just tired. This is your wonderful thread and here I am taking up all this space and time. :o But you have the flu :p so I don't think you will mind too much, right ? :o

laketrees
06-22-2005, 02:05 AM
Hi Linda.....you will be busy..... :) :) :) ...such a variety....of work... :cool: ....must pop over to wc gallery and have a look at your sketch .....Einstein had such an interesting face.......still have the flu...hopefully will get back to work tomorrow...... :wave: :wave:
cheers kim

LadyRose
06-22-2005, 09:32 AM
Great work Kim! Its just extremely exciting to watch you paint this big mural! :)

Squib
06-22-2005, 04:53 PM
Still following along Kim - amazing work !!! Fun too - especially having the kids to work with you. :)

laketrees
06-23-2005, 03:50 AM
Hi Lady Rose.....thankyou... :wave:
Hi Lorraine....they're predicting rain this w/e so may not get up there because of our family flu :(
cheers kim :cool:

LisaArt
06-23-2005, 03:56 AM
Hi Ya Kim, Hope you are all feeling better! Just catching up on all the WC action, wow, you have been so busy. Loved reading all the past posts and I really love the articles you posted. This has been such a spectacular ride.! :clap: Excellent painting and team work! Wish I could drive on by and cheeer you all on! Again congrats on the WC Guide. :)

laketrees
06-23-2005, 06:43 AM
Hi ..hi...Lisa... :wave: :wave: went to the doctors today...so probably won't feel better until the weekend hopefully.....and with rain predicted,,,we will rug up and stay inside...will you be working on your painting...soon??? :cat:
cheers kim

leverettfinn
06-29-2005, 06:45 PM
Kim...
Stayed up past my bedtime last night reading this thread! (yawn :) )wonderful! ....And the kids painting right along....that's just so great! Love how it's turning out!
Hope you are feeling better....

Lauren

laketrees
07-02-2005, 07:28 AM
Hi Lauren :wave: :wave: and thanks......feeling better...and....should be back to work on this tomorrow...weather permitting......2 weeks holidays now ...and looks like another 2 mural commissions.....for us....busy...busy ...busy.......times ahead.. :D :D :D
cheers kim

Mikey
07-02-2005, 08:06 AM
Hi Kim. I'm glad to hear you are better now. Two commissions would be fantastic. I hope you will get a recharge of strength during the holiday.

Mikey

Brush-in-my-hand
07-02-2005, 10:33 AM
Hey Kim! Wow, that's great! Not to mention that it might help to buy some art supplies. I mean, who needs groceries?

Hope you do very well with your health, you are going to need it!

Cia

laketrees
07-03-2005, 06:31 AM
Hi Mikey...and Cia....... :wave: :wave: very busy today...7 hours...and we think we might have this finished by Wednesday....checked out the bowling club site...big...5 m x 7 m...double the companion one...already primed and ready
...beautiful weather today....will get the blacksmith in tomorrow...between the miner and school teacher...another newspaper article and sign.....thank goodness we're all over our flu...... :) :) :) (hi Mum.... :wave: )
cheers kim

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Jul-2005/54304-alex_clos_up_july_3.JPG http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Jul-2005/54304-charlotte_shoes.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Jul-2005/54304-final_wide_al_july_3.JPG http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Jul-2005/54304-full_length_july_3.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Jul-2005/54304-kurri_sign_kim.JPG http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Jul-2005/54304-kurri_bowling_club.JPGhttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Jul-2005/54304-kurri_b_c_crop.JPG

Gilberte
07-03-2005, 08:58 AM
Bravo again and again !
Kurri Kurri will get famous for its Mural Artist Mrs. Barker, I'm sure !

Spyderbabe
07-03-2005, 01:54 PM
This is just fantastiC!

Mikey
07-03-2005, 05:38 PM
It lokks as though you've made the big time Kim.

Mikey

laketrees
07-04-2005, 06:05 AM
Hi Gilberte....thanks.....we might become known as Ma Barker and her kids..... :D :D
Hi Kathleen ...thanks...very exciting to see this thread with all the stars... :cool: :cool:
Hi Mikey....well this beats cleaning out cupboards and ironing.......as I have always said...why iron when you can paint....... :D :D

Only 5 hours today...
started on the blacksmith.....I am using the photo of my cousin David...he worked in the mines as well.....(he tragically passed away last year)...the miner was David's grandfather and the schoolteacher was his great grandmother..the baker was his uncle..
Alexander painted in the miner's trousers and Charlotte did a wonderful job on the kookaburra...(one of the many who visit us on the lake...as you know we think our dear Dad is one ...)..all of the murals in Kurri have a Kooka painted on them as it is the Kurri symbol..
going to start the sketch for the bowling club mural tonight...and as you can see by the sky..it could be raining tomorrow so will probably be under the tarp...
cheers kim
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Jul-2005/54304-DAVID_CROP.JPG http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Jul-2005/54304-CHARLOTTE__KOOKA.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Jul-2005/54304-PAINTING_DAVID.JPG http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Jul-2005/54304-KOOKA.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Jul-2005/54304-ON_MILK_CRATES.JPG http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Jul-2005/54304-JULY_4_FULL.JPG

PHANTOM ART
07-04-2005, 07:00 PM
Congratulations Kim on your new commissions. This is a remarkable adventure for you and your family. :clap: :clap: :clap: I am looking forward to seeing your next themes.

laketrees
07-05-2005, 06:11 AM
Hi Phantom...thanks...the new mural at the bowling club is a lawn bowls theme...will probably start a new thread later in the week....the sketch went to the bowling club committee today...
Another 5 hours today and got the undercoat for background in...will probably stick to these colours with variations in values throughout....shoes and adjustments tomorrow and I think we will be finished..... :wave: hi Mum
cheers kim
blacksmiths shoulders too wide on left

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Jul-2005/54304-JULY5_KIM_AL.JPG http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Jul-2005/54304-JULY_5_AL__CHARLIE.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Jul-2005/54304-JULY_5_FL_K__A.JPG http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Jul-2005/54304-JULY_5_RIGHT_HALF.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Jul-2005/54304-JULY_5_FL.JPG

leverettfinn
07-05-2005, 06:33 AM
Looks Wonderful! :clap:
Well done Kim, Charlotte and Alexander :clap: :clap: Looking forward to the final final photos :)
and now....Let's go bowling :D ! (is that how you say it when lawn bowling? :confused: :D )
Lauren

laketrees
07-05-2005, 06:42 AM
Hi Lauren....good to see you over this way...... :wave: thanks....and lol ...I suppose that's what they say.....when you go bowling ...however the committee stipulated...absolutely no women..in the mural....so I wonder if the women bowlers know that............ :evil: :D
cheers kim

A Few Pigments
07-05-2005, 06:51 AM
Originally posted by laketrees
however the committee stipulated...absolutely no women..in the mural....so I wonder if the women bowlers know that............ :evil: :D

Men are dumb, what can I say….. :(

laketrees
07-05-2005, 07:56 AM
Yeah.... Bruce ...thank goodness all men aren't like that!!!! :evil: :eek: :D
cheers kim

Gilberte
07-05-2005, 08:05 AM
amazing ...
amazing ...
amazing ...

... and no fear of heights eh ?

Cherie Carter Magee
07-05-2005, 08:27 AM
:wave: Kim,
Just want to let you know that I am really enjoying being able to see your mural as it progresses. You have done a beautiful job. I really like that you have used photos of your own ancestors that lived in the area for this. This is a really inspiring project.
A few years back I was living in Homestead, Florida when they also had a mural project in the city. They did about 10 of them throughout the area. I watched three really large murals through the process. They were done by individual artists, with very little help. This family project is a wonderful way to do this kind of painting. Your two children are doing a terrific job. I admire that they are sticking with it - most kids disappear after a few hours of any project! even one they really enjoy. Congratulations to all of you. :clap: :clap: :clap:

leverettfinn
07-05-2005, 08:39 AM
...however the committee stipulated...absolutely no women..in the mural....so I wonder if the women bowlers know that............ :evil: :D
cheers kim

I'd be tempted to put one of the men in drag :D :evil:

evil Lauren :D

laketrees
07-06-2005, 10:13 AM
Hi Gilberte...merci...merci...and...merci.. ...heights?.... :D ..we're actually like monkeys..now...hard to believe that I didn't want to get up on the scaffolding...to start with.....eh... :D
Hi Cherie... :wave: ..nice to meet you...and thankyou...I think Kurri will have 30 murals painted by September if all goes well.....I believe it would have taken ages painting this by myself...and the kids have enjoyed the project immensely....who knows they might make serious artistes yet.... :eek:
Hi evil Lauren.... :evil: lol....mmmm..now I am tempted..... pink would be nice..... :wink2:
spent 7 hours today...and nearly finished.......except for some boots and a leg....can you find the missing leg???? :D ........Charlotte did most of the graduation in background...Alexander worked on posts and bits everywhere..like me....the strangest thing happened today...when I was working on the soldier...(my grandfather on my Dad's side)...Charlotte was painting above the Kookaburra...(who we believe is our Dad)...and a drop of grey paint fell off Charlotte's brush....look at the photos to see where it landed...we're leaving it in as we believe Dad is here with us in spirit..... :angel:...
we're having a break tomorrow...I have to finish my girl in turban...so will give the final touches to this either Friday or Saturday...
cheers kim
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Jul-2005/54304-JULY_6_1.JPG http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Jul-2005/54304-JULY_6_2.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Jul-2005/54304-JULY_6_3.JPG http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Jul-2005/54304-JULY_6_4.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Jul-2005/54304-JULY_6_5.JPG http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Jul-2005/54304-july_6_6.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Jul-2005/54304-JULY_6_FL.JPG

cheers kim

Brush-in-my-hand
07-06-2005, 04:35 PM
Kim, this is just wonderful. I'm so happy for you. And pea green with envy! I would have given anything to be there with you, painting! This is just great!

Cia

laketrees
07-07-2005, 03:36 AM
Hi there Cia... :wave: thanks for dropping by...have had the day off do work on my girl in a turban drawing and will be back up to kurri tomorrow to finish final touches...2 faces to adjust and lots of boots..a leg..and a foot.... :eek: :D ..and then hopefully on to the next mural.....such a shame to waste our holidays......sitting in the winter sun...and having a wine or 2....this was the view from our backyard today...Alexander took the photo ...note the kooka...
cheers kim
ps can't you get a plane ticket and fly over here to help us with the next mural.... :cool: ..(that goes for the rest of you international artistes here too....all you have to bring is your brushes....and your toothbrush of course.... ):p :D

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Jul-2005/54304-kooka_2_july_7.JPG http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Jul-2005/54304-kooka_3_july_7.JPG

Mikey
07-07-2005, 04:23 AM
Kim, I'm not sure if the background matters too much, although a little bit of variation might help.

After a long run like this I'm tempted to settle into a self-satisfied heap, but then quickly get on with the next one. I've just more or less finished my latest portrait.

Mikey

laketrees
07-07-2005, 04:35 AM
Hi Mikey...me too.... :D ...the background on the mural is very simple and the consensus from the public was leave as is...so be it..... :D ...this mural is going to be used as a label for a series of wines...coming out soon....(now I have no excuse not to sample the vino.... :D)
.... kept busy on the girl in the turban today.....and washing and cleaning..... :D ..have posted in OC...just not too sure if I should spend more time on it.....would appreciate your critique Mikey...... :angel:
cheers kim

laketrees
07-08-2005, 05:59 AM
Hi All...FINALLY FINISHED...today...total hours...approx 50.....(worked out at about $30.00 per hour)....redid David's face and half a redo of Alexanders....pretty happy with the overall look....we're all sitting with our feet up....toasted sandwiches...and a scotch for me.... :evil: (hi Mum :wave: ...and hi to all of the Williams :wave: )
cheers kim

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Jul-2005/54304-final_july_8.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Jul-2005/54304-david_july_8.JPG http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Jul-2005/54304-david_long_july_8.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Jul-2005/54304-kim_july_8.JPG http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Jul-2005/54304-july_8_middle.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Jul-2005/54304-july_8_three_quarter.JPG

Gilberte
07-08-2005, 07:44 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Jul-2005/9813-proficiat21gb.gif

... meaning congratulations !

Mikey
07-08-2005, 07:49 AM
Yes, I think so Gilberte.

Mikey

LadyRose
07-08-2005, 08:57 AM
Congrats Kim! :)

katelynalain
07-08-2005, 01:45 PM
looks great kim!! you guys did such a wonderful job. thank you for sharing your process with all of us!

laketrees
07-09-2005, 02:04 AM
Hi Gilberte...thanks...merci beau coup....have saved this for Charlotte ...she LOVES IT........... :clap:..and thankyou for your continued support...throughout this thread..... :clap:
Thanks Mikey........my heartfelt thanks to you....I'm AMAZED at your focus at this time when your country is in such chaos....the sign of a true artist.....and so uniquely British...if I may say so...... :cool:
Hi Katelyn...thanks for calling by......hope your getaway was FUN...and looking forward to seeing the results of your get together....... :evil:

haaf
07-09-2005, 04:24 AM
Congratulations Kim !!
I'm glad it turned out so well and it must be an awesome feeeling to know that you've pulled it off as a family project ! With kids in the age groups of yours, it's not selfevident these days that they are willing to participate in a "family project", this tells a lot about the character and the love there is and that's another aspect to congratulate you on! Be proud also in knowing that you have all written and added an important chapter to your very own family history.
About the work itself....well lots have been said already....what pleases me is the fact that you have put the characters in a setting fitting your style and one that could be perceived as both modern contemporary and a remnant of a early industrial building of that time.

Thanks for sharing

laketrees
07-09-2005, 08:57 AM
Hi Rose. :wave: .....sorry I missed your post....thankyou :) :)
Hi Caroline...thankyou for your comments....the kids really enjoyed their time spent on the mural....and it was fun.... all of us being together.....especially in today's busy world......the community and people in Kurri were fantastic.....we are looking forward to the next one.... :) :)
cheers kim

Mark_xiii
07-11-2005, 12:42 PM
I've really enjoyed seeing the progress of this and the final piece is wonderful! You should be very proud of it! :clap:

laketrees
07-11-2005, 10:17 PM
Hi Mark...nice to meet you...and thanks....we've started another one.... :clap:
cheers kim

Anita Murphy
07-12-2005, 11:55 AM
Kim - this is wonderful! What a super finish - and thank you for sharing your work with us. Lovely to see a family working together. I bet the kids are really proud of their contribution. Superb work!

laketrees
07-13-2005, 10:16 AM
Thanks Anita..... :wave: the kids had lots of fun spending some of their money yesterday.....especially Charlotte ...she's a shopaholic...for sure..... :eek:
cheers kim

LisaArt
07-19-2005, 06:06 AM
Hi Kim! Just wanted to say this was a super project and was so fun to be part of it, and watch you from beginning to end develop this beautiful mural. Thanks for sharing with us. You must all be so proud of such a great significat project in the town. It is beautiful and the town has a very special gift. Congratulations again to all of you. The kids must be so happy! Happy shopping to them. :)

laketrees
07-19-2005, 06:26 AM
Hi LISA....hello hello hello......have all the relatives gone ?...have you been doing any painting?......wonderful to see you back on line....... :clap: :clap:
:wave: ..kim

Esmeralinda
08-14-2005, 05:33 PM
Oh! my God! KIM, this is so beautiful. After so many weeks it is nice to come back to see the "Grand finale" ! Happy for you all. I saw a few murals during my travelling and always thought of you and your Family. BRAVO !

I have a lot of catching up to do on WC.

Linda :wave:

laketrees
08-16-2005, 04:12 AM
HI LINDA....AND WELCOME BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!
so glad to hear that you had a wonderful trip....and sooo good to have you back on board.....yippee....... :clap: :clap:
...kim..... :wave: