PDA

View Full Version : Mikey's Dream

Mikey
05-01-2005, 10:03 PM
Acrylic on 32 x 40 inch canvas.This painting was my initial inspiration for a whole series, yet paintwise it is looking to be the worst of the show. It should be among the best. I've now improved the Chinese girl and done a few other touch ups, but there's way to go yet. You willl obviously know which one was the original Chinese girl. I'll have to give her right arm a good sorting out. I'm not used to painting heads this small.

Any comments welcome.

Mikey

laketrees
05-02-2005, 06:57 AM
I like the perspective Mikey...and the interweaving of the figures...mystical and surreal comes to mind....I wonder about the girl in the red dress as she is drawing my eye...whereas all the other figures seem to balance beautifully..
cheers kim

Mikey
05-02-2005, 10:47 AM
Hi Kim,

The pink dress is a problem I've made worse by adding more contrast. I don't want to change the colour, so may try putting the same colour elsewhere in the painting say the right foreground. I'll see this better when I've put more paint into the other places which I think need to be reworked.

Mikey

flawless_bone
05-02-2005, 03:25 PM
hi Mikey!
To me the chinese woman seems to be swallowed, together with the left half of the picture. Maybe she needs a different background? Hope you donīt mind I tried digitally. And is the pink stair part behind her big enough?

Mikey
05-02-2005, 03:48 PM
Hi Flawless, sorry to say this is a very bad flash photo, but I do agree that part of the painting has been waiting for something. I could bring some more saturated colour to the Chinese girl, but that might outdo the woman on the right. She is a gloomy soul and not the type I'd want to know personally. Many thaaanks for taking time to do the retouch.

Mikey

flawless_bone
05-02-2005, 04:29 PM
the woman on the right. She is a gloomy soul and not the type I'd want to know personally.
Mikey

:D Oh man, she reminds me of somebody I know that I have real troubles accepting around. I already thought it is only my perceptions that your figure in black frightened me!

As for the chinese woman I thought of background because when there is not much to enhance with the figure, it is usually the background. :cat:

Mikey
05-02-2005, 05:19 PM
The people here are actually archetypes and the woman in black is Lust for Power. We see plenty of that around these days. The building represents our western society. I chose this Classical style because Humanisn and the Renaissance were in many ways the foundations of what we have now. Or I should say what we had, because as you see in this painting the buildings foundations are cracking up, ready for the ground to be moved. You would see in the right hand panel to this set the ground is indeed very shaky indeed. This is the middle panel.

I have another set of three, which continues the theme, but as a chess game, playing for power. I'd certainly like to bring something more postive and hopeful into all of this.

Mikey

laketrees
05-03-2005, 01:00 AM
Hi Mikey...I like the interpretation of your power lady....I think the pink colour elsewhere would balance...how do you like working to a deadline??? :D
cheers kim

LisaArt
05-03-2005, 04:50 AM
Hi Mikey, Really enjoy where this is going. The kimono work is great. Love the colours here. :wave:

Mikey
05-03-2005, 05:52 AM
Thanks Kim, I find a certain level of stress keeps me on my toes and working efficiently. It's knowing not to go beyond it I suppose.

Thanks Lisa, I'm enjoying this as well.

Mikey