PDA

View Full Version : Pastel book on painting animals

HarvestMoon
05-01-2005, 03:14 PM
Hello all- there is a great book out that you may not know about- the title does not imply that it is a book about pastel painting at all- but it is 'Painting Animals that touch the heart' by Lesley Harrison. I picked this up thinking it was (as usual ha) oil painting or watercolor... but the entire book was done in pastels. She shows step by step how to do dog eyes, cats eyes, wild animals, horses, etc. and it is truly a pleasure to see not only the process but the pastel paintings.

Khadres
05-01-2005, 03:18 PM
I think someone was just asking about this one recently. It is a nice book...I keep telling myself I'm gonna try out the little exercise thingys in it, but haven't gotten to it yet. Well worth the price...actually, I think I got mine free when I joined North Light Book Club! Local libraries might well have it, as well.

K Taylor-Green
05-01-2005, 03:21 PM
Yeah, that's a great one. I learned pastel from her book. I would see examples of her work in other "how to" wildlife books and think, "How does she do that? If I could figure out her technique, I'd try pastels." I was painting in watercolor and oils then. When her book came out, my jaw hit the floor. I made out a check so fast, it's a wonder it was made out properly!!
That was almost three years ago, and I've been hooked on pastels ever since.

Westerngirl
05-02-2005, 09:46 AM
Yes, it's a very good book. I don't generally paint animals in pastel (I usually do them in oil), but her book is still very helpful to me. I had seen some of her work in one of the art magazines, and remembered her name because her work is spectacular. So when her book came out, I had to have a copy, and have used it often.

I'm continually amazed at the realism in her animal paintings.

terence p
05-02-2005, 11:33 AM
I have the book also. I think that I also got it as a freebe when I joined the northlight bookclub. Ive had it a few years now and forgot about it. Thanks for bringing it up. Dug it out again after reading the messages here. Forgot how good she was. Will have to sit down and absorb the info. She uses the velour sheets which I have never tried. I use the canson or wallis sand paper. Has anyone tried the velour?

HarvestMoon
05-02-2005, 12:01 PM
I tried the nice german velour ONCE to see what it was like- the soft pastel just almost melts into the wonderful soft surface. I am saving the rest of the pad for when my talent is up to the quality of the velour!

ArtsiePhartsie
05-02-2005, 12:09 PM
Thanks for the heads up on this book, I ordered it this morning. Now for a LONG 10 day wait for it to arrive!

Thanks again!

~Artsie