PDA

View Full Version : Project Discussion: May05 Piece by Piece in Pastel

khourianya
04-30-2005, 09:22 PM
A new project has been announced in the WetCanvas! project system!

Title: May05 Piece by Piece in Pastel
Project Leader: khourianya
Relative Difficulty: Easy
Type Restrictions: Painting
Medium: Pastels
Subject: Not Applicable
Days open for signups: 30
Maximum participants allowed: 25

Description:

Piece by Piece in Pastel - May 2005

Welcome to the third month of this fun project!

Note to Participants from April 2005:
Please allow 3 days (until May 3) before you sign up for a second consecutive month of this project. Because the number of participants is limited, we want to be fair to everyone who weren't able to join us last month. Thank you in advance.

In the book "Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain" by Betty Edwards, she describes a drawing technique called "squaring up". In this technique, you take a square of a picture and capture every detail within that square. Though it may not look like much of anything, if you do this to an entire picture (capturing it all square by square), you will have all of the detail of the complete image.

In this Project, we will split a painting into 25 pieces. Each person will be given a piece of the painting and asked to complete it by the end of the month. As the pieces are submitted, both participants in this project and others in the forum are encouraged to try to guess what the actual painting is of. By signing up for the project and accepting a piece, you are making a commitment to finish your piece and contribute to the puzzle we are creating.

I will number all of the pieces, but it will be somewhat randomized so as to not make it too easy to guess. Please submit your finished piece in the "Final Images" section and use the assigned piece number as the title for the piece. I will upload progress images of the painting in progress as pieces are finished. It is not required that you upload progress images as you go.

The piece you will receive is going to seem really small. That is part of the challenge of the project. The goal is to exactly copy what you see.

Once all of the pieces are submitted, I will "stitch" them together in Photoshop to reveal the finished painting to us all...as well as the famous artist and painting that was used as inspiration.

This project will last for exactly one month and is open to both soft and oil pastels. The paintings should be completed in a square format only (you can choose whichever size you want - just make sure it is square) and I will PM the individual pieces to each participant as they sign up.

Let's have a bit of fun...and get down to painting.

Additional Information:

For more information on the project: Click here! (http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_details&proj_id=859)

Remember, in order to help keep the discussions on projects organized, you should post your questions, suggestions, and comments on submitted work here in this thread. By doing this, we allow other non-project efforts to not get "pushed down" by a swarm of project-related threads.

khourianya
04-30-2005, 10:59 PM
Okay,okay --- No rigging. I promise! :evil:

This month we are moving away from the old masters and will be taking a more contemporary spin. This painter does some absolutely beautiful work and I am glad to have finally found a photo of this painting to use. It will be easy to guess the painter (I think), but good luck finding the painting online! :)

As always, I will be taking the piece with the signature in it (well, actually, it is 3 pieces so I have cut the painitng up differently this time). All of you will get square pieces and I will have a long thin one. Should be interesting...

Some of these pieces will make beautiful abstracts on their own. I hope this month will be as much fun as the last 2 months have been!

kordelia
05-01-2005, 12:06 AM
.....lurking.......lurking......waiting to pounce........

does this mean we can email you 1 minute after midnite Mon nite the second?? (cause you know i will........) .....lurking.....lurking......

khourianya
05-01-2005, 03:26 AM
lol...I can't guarantee i will be up to immediately answer (you are at least 2 hours ahead of me, but I need my beauty sleep :p) However, if you sign up for the project, I will send you the piece as soon as I get home from work on the 3rd! :)

I will be away at the end of May to attend the awards ceremonty for the award I am a finailst for. That means that those last few days before the end of the project, I may seem to disappear. Have no fear...I took the day off on June 2nd hen my plane gets back to calgary bright and early...I will wrap up the project then. For all you guys that rush the deadline - you will now have an extra day to complete the piece! I can already hear you all saying "Phew!" lol.

Oh - and I need to say this too. Because I am having fewer pieces this month...I am anticipating that the project is going to fill right up. So...if, for any reason during the month of May, you feel you will not be able to complete your piece...please officially withdraw from the project so someone can take your place in the project. When you go into the projects area, you can view the feature called "My Projects" that will list all of the projects you have signed up for. Beside any project that you have not submitted a piece to, you will be given the option to "Quit This Project". Click that and you are out!

khourianya
05-02-2005, 06:27 PM
Okay - everyone who didn't sign on in April...we are down to the last few moment before the April crew can pounce on this project! Sign up while you can! :wink2:

I have 22 pieces that are looking for new homes...They don't like the folder I have them stored in on my computer and are looking to travel a bit!!!

ArtsiePhartsie
05-02-2005, 07:17 PM
This sounds like fun!!!

~Artsie

khourianya
05-02-2005, 08:39 PM
If you think you'll have time, you should join us. It's a fun and easy project!

ArtsiePhartsie
05-02-2005, 08:50 PM
I think I joined....wasn't sure of where to sign up. Looking forward to seeing my piece!

~Artsie

Anda G
05-03-2005, 09:51 AM
I'm in! :clap:
:wave:
Andagail

khourianya
05-03-2005, 11:51 AM
Wow! I checked in as soon as I got to work this morning and already we are up to 11 people!! Halfway there! I will send out all of the pieces to people who have signed up thus far, when I get home this afternoon/evening.

I'm glad to see so many return participants! We are sooo gonna have fun with this one this month!

khourianya
05-03-2005, 01:01 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=47334

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/859/completed/60457/tn_two.1.jpg

Wow! This was FAST! Great job! You totally captured the feeling of the original! I will add it as the first piece of the puzzle tonight when I get home!

Grunge
05-03-2005, 04:08 PM
Wow! This was FAST! Great job! You totally captured the feeling of the original! I will add it as the first piece of the puzzle tonight when I get home!

I'm glad to hear you think so because I have no idea what painting it is from. Everytime I think I've got it pegged, I'm wrong.

khourianya
05-03-2005, 04:10 PM
as the month wears on, you'll begin to see how it fits in.

I am not expecting that the title will be that easy to guess. As long as the artist can be figured out...

khourianya
05-03-2005, 11:06 PM
Okay guys - I'm slow today, but your pieces have been sent out. :D

khourianya
05-04-2005, 01:17 AM
And here it is...the first pieece of the puzzle in it's rightful home...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-May-2005/47843-maypuzzle.jpg

keep em comin'!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Grunge
05-04-2005, 02:11 PM
this is all becoming rather exciting. I so didn't expect to be there. was thinking more to the right and a little lower. lol

khourianya
05-05-2005, 12:40 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=47408

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/859/completed/22002/tn_mAY_pc_by_pc.jpg

I think this one is closer to the original so I will use it. This looks awesome, Kory! Great job!

and now for an update!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-May-2005/47843-maypuzzle2.jpg

So there are only 12 pieces left...have you signed up yet??? :) Let's try to have the project full before the weekend, ok guys!!!

MaryJ
05-05-2005, 01:18 AM
Ok, I have my picture piece. Do I reveal my piece number now, or wait until I post my attempt at it? (Can you tell this is my first try?) Life is going to interfere this weekend (a child's graduation from college) but I should have something to show next week. How exciting!
Regards,
Mary Johnson

khourianya
05-05-2005, 11:33 AM
The pieces are randomly numbered so revealing the piece number doesn't really affect anything. All I ask is that when you submit your piece to the project, that you name it by the piece number...

Grunge
05-05-2005, 01:26 PM
my piece isn't matching up too good. you want i should do it over or is that cheating?

khourianya
05-05-2005, 02:18 PM
lol...it isn't you're piece. The other participant emailed me with the proper piece for hers. It wouldn't let her upload it for some reason. I will update the puzzle tonight when I get home so it is right.

Grunge
05-05-2005, 06:58 PM
well, you know...this is my first time...i would hate to be the one to screw it up. not only that, but this is the first thread i've participated in in pastel talk. would hate to be the dork on the block. You do make me feel right at home, however. thanks for that.

kordelia
05-05-2005, 07:13 PM
o, grunge, too funny.... i said the same thing... i'm the block over you!! what's chances of the first two submitted being two that fit together!!! i tried to resend it big so she could adjust, but it just wouldnt take it, so i emailed it to her and she's going to adjust it... she can DO that sort of thing, bless her!! i said the same thing, tho: i couldnt STAND having that sit there off-kilter all month!!! bless you, my friend... we're being helped by the master!! and welcome... this is such fun! :wave:

Grunge
05-05-2005, 07:17 PM
the auras of our lights were matching up smashingly though. LOL. glad to meet you! I'm just feeling like family already.

khourianya
05-05-2005, 10:23 PM
You two are a hoot! :D

There you go, Kory. I got your piece and it is a MUCH better fit. Great job, you two!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-May-2005/47843-maypuzzle2a.jpg

I'm hardly the master - just the girl who can find her way around photoshop! :p It's good to be using that diploma that i haven't quite gotten around to hanging on the wall yet... :D

I ust say that one of my favourite things about hosting this project is seeing so many new members join up and hang out with us all! Grunge, I do hope you'll check out some of the other threads here in Pastel Talk...we really are one big dusty family around here! :)

Grunge
05-06-2005, 03:58 PM
Okay, I will. Oh, and if for some strange reason this project doesn't fill (yeah, right...) please let me be the first to offer to take another square.

khourianya
05-06-2005, 04:22 PM
Thanks for the offer. I'll let you know if people pull out. Sometimes people are nice and let me know early on when they can't get their piece done.

Grunge
05-07-2005, 12:30 AM
well, I browsed around the pastel forum today. It was kinda scarey. You've got some real professionals here. I guess I qualify as a certified newbie. Yikes! there's one lady who had her "new book" out, which to me says she has others...someone else has works being bought up by a gallery. Geez. I don't know if i'm ready to be rubbing elbows with the big guys. any threads for us beginners out there? lol

khourianya
05-07-2005, 01:10 AM
Oh indeed! There are loads of threads for beginners and those "experts" among us are the ones who are always generously offering their experience and expertise to help the rest of us grow as artists! It's a daunting task to post your first painting here, after you have perused who might be viewing it but - trust me - this place is a weath of knowledge and sharing and, in no time, you'll find yourself offering advice to newbies who are struggling with the same things you did!

Grunge
05-07-2005, 01:14 AM
I kind of got the impresssion that you were supposed to post that sort of stuff in the critique forum. so its okay to throw art out just anywhere? I suppose that would make sense.

khourianya
05-07-2005, 01:17 AM
Quite franklly - I don't think I have ever posted anything in the critique forum. I wanted the feedback of the people working in the same medium and so I asked for help here...still do. Give it a try.

Grunge
05-07-2005, 01:27 AM
okay, well...first i need to do something in pastel. something new. I'm not a brand spanking new beginner...I have a swell set of 12 soft pastels and not one of them is in mint condition. :) I also like to use conte crayons. are they pastels??? Hard pastels maybe?

khourianya
05-07-2005, 01:44 AM
Sure, why not. I will often use my conte crayons to get more detail. They work well with soft pastel and are rather like hard pastels. Go for it. have fun and get dusty!

Adriela
05-07-2005, 02:11 AM
You know, I am sitting here laughing at myself. This has turned out to be much, much more difficult than it looked at first blush. I'm planning on turning in SOMETHING next week, whether it has much suckage or not. So far, the suckage is winning.

I'm learning a lot, though..:)

Adri

p.s. I'm a newbie at pastels too, so when I put up my puzzle piece, you are going to feel a thousand times better about your work! ;)

Grunge
05-07-2005, 02:20 PM
yeah!!! someone else talking in the thread!!! I was starting to feel like a thread hog...but I can't contain myself. I'm just having too much fun with this.

I can't wait to see your piece. I keep checking to see if any new pieces have posted. How about a sneak preview of what you've been working on.

khourianya
05-07-2005, 02:50 PM
Indeed. Adriela, you can always upload your progress images. I try to comment on everything that comes up and if you are having issues, you can always ask for advice!

khourianya
05-08-2005, 01:47 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=47478

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/859/progress/55259/tn_wcmaywip.jpg

Looks great so far! Let me know when you are ready to have it added to the main puzzle!

Grunge
05-08-2005, 01:26 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=47478

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/859/progress/55259/tn_wcmaywip.jpg

OOOOOOO! I love it. i'm dieing to know what it is. lol.

Ladies...by the way...HAPPPY MOTHERS DAY!! (I don't know if you are mothers...i have five myself...but the sentiment is still there).

khourianya
05-10-2005, 10:48 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=47507

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/859/completed/47453/tn_Project_3__No_13.jpg

Perfect fit, Natalie!!! I can't believe I missed this one. I check in everyday. I guess I've been a bit off this week!

khourianya
05-10-2005, 10:51 PM
and now, an update!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-May-2005/47843-maypuzzle3.jpg

Great work so far, guys! :clap: :clap: :clap: Let's see some more pieces getting submitted! Maybe, if we're lucky, we can finish this up before i leave for Toronto...That is May 27th!!! Whadya say? Up for the challenge?

There's still six pieces left! Anyone who wants to join in, still can!!!

Abby Jane
05-11-2005, 11:20 PM
hi cori,
would love to do this again..is there still room? I am still having problems 'down sizing' my work so that it can appear ...but I'll work on it..
glad to hear there'll be no more rigging and thanks for taking this on..it was fun.
Abby

khourianya
05-11-2005, 11:25 PM
Yep - still loads of room! Here's the link:
http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_details&proj_id=859

Anyone else up for another month (or a first month...)???

Grunge
05-13-2005, 12:26 AM
hi cori,
would love to do this again..is there still room? I am still having problems 'down sizing' my work so that it can appear ...but I'll work on it..
glad to hear there'll be no more rigging and thanks for taking this on..it was fun.
Abby

If you would like, I would be happy to reduce your file size for you. just let me know.

Abby Jane
05-13-2005, 10:52 AM
thank you, I'll need the help....but I haven't gotten my piece yet....will it be emailed?

khourianya
05-13-2005, 02:49 PM
I just popped in to check so I will be PM-ing it shortly.

Grunge
05-13-2005, 03:46 PM
thank you, I'll need the help....but I haven't gotten my piece yet....will it be emailed?

Okay, so whenever you are ready, you can email the finished piece to me, I'll scale down the file size and send it back.

khourianya
05-13-2005, 11:56 PM
Okay - just popping in for a quick mid-month reminder before the weekend hits...So far we have 3 pieces submitted and one in-progress image! The month is almst half over so let's get cracking (and yes, i am kicking myself in the butt too!)

I won't be posting my piece until we can see the picture starting to come together! I'd hate to hand out the signature before we can really see how it's coming!

You guys have all of the detail pieces so let's get them going! :D I'd like to satrt doing some regular updates!

Oh - and if you've been lurking and want to join us - sign on up! I still have 4 pieces left!!!

khourianya
05-14-2005, 11:43 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=47607

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/859/completed/55259/tn_may%2311.jpg

This came out great, Ron! and it is an absolutely perfect fit! Wonderfl work!

khourianya
05-14-2005, 11:44 AM
and the update...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-May-2005/47843-maypuzzle4.jpg

Anda G
05-14-2005, 01:41 PM
I don't know what happened to my post. :confused: Well, I am still here. I don't want to re-do it and have two posts. :D
Andagail

Grunge
05-14-2005, 06:48 PM
I must not be paying enough attention! I thought ron's piece and Natalie's piece were one in the same. Now I feel kinda stupid. lol

khourianya
05-15-2005, 01:58 AM
lol..at first glance so did I...I had to go back and look at the actual pieces. :D Along that row, alot of the pieces are really similar.

The more I look at the submitted pieces, the more beautiful this painting is becoming. I can hardly wait to see what the other pieces are going to look like! :clap:

Natalie NZ
05-15-2005, 03:19 AM
This is starting to look very interesting now. Yes Ron's and mine are very similar but his does look a lot more colourful. Can't wait to see some more entries coming in and I haven't got a clue what the painting might be. :confused:

Ron Biggs
05-15-2005, 04:11 AM
I thought Natalie's piece looks a bit like the front of a boat maybe a gondala :confused:

Waiting patiently :mad: for the rest of the pieces to see what it is.

MaryJ
05-16-2005, 09:14 PM
Ok, I'm ready to post my piece of the puzzle - No. 12, actually. I'm doing this with great trepidation - mine looks pretty amateurish next to everyone else's, but this is supposed to be a learning process, right?

Here goes.

Grunge
05-16-2005, 09:38 PM
OH NO! Mary J, It is beautiful!!!!!

khourianya
05-16-2005, 10:26 PM
I agree - it's lovely. and a perfect fit, I might add - good job!

can you do me a quick favour and go to the project page (the link is on the first page of this thread) and upload it right into the project as a final image? That will allow everyone to comment on it directly and it will display a thumbnail when they do. Thanks.

here is the update!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-May-2005/47843-maypuzzle5.jpg

MaryJ
05-16-2005, 10:40 PM
OK, I THINK I posted the finished piece to the project, but you'll know pretty quick if I did it right or messed it up. Now I can't wait to see the rest of the pieces.
MJ

khourianya
05-16-2005, 11:44 PM
Yep - you did it!!! Thanks!

khourianya
05-18-2005, 12:12 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=47681

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/859/completed/6393/tn_may_piece_for_proj.jpg

Ohhh, nice work Wendy! I love the colours you discover in your pieces! This one would make a beautiful abstract on it's own...and it's a great fit in our puzzle. :clap:

khourianya
05-18-2005, 12:16 AM
And, here is our updated painting!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-May-2005/47843-maypuzzle6.jpg

I guess I'd better get cracking on my own piece, since so many adjoining pieces are already completed (I am that long thin band at the bottom). I promise to have it done before i fly out to Toronto (May 27). Now I just have to find time, between trying to find a dress and shoes, attending the FCA meeting, finishing the other painting on my easel...ok - I'll stop procrastinating. If I can find time to do my piece - the rest of you can certainly find time to do yours.

I'll be sending out a note tonight to everyone as a reminder!

sundiver
05-18-2005, 08:02 AM
hi cori,
Abby

Abby, when I first joined WC I was advised to download Polyview, a free download that you can use for image editing, including size changing. I've used it ever since; it's easy and doesn't use much memory.
http://www.polybytes.com/download.htm

sundiver
05-18-2005, 08:11 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=47681

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/859/completed/6393/tn_may_piece_for_proj.jpg

Whoa, the colors are off! On my monitor at home I didn't see green, lots of dark red. On my monitor here there is green. Oh well at least it fits! :D

khourianya
05-18-2005, 10:58 AM
lol..that's odd. I don't see green at all! :D

khourianya
05-18-2005, 11:55 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=47687

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/859/completed/35329/tn_my_piece_wc.jpg

Ohhh - this looks fabulous, Valri! I'm at work at the moment so can't add it to the puzzle until tonight, but it looks really great. The colours are super close and the star is really good!

Valri Ary
05-18-2005, 01:16 PM
It looks alot better 'small...' I am concerned how it fits being that it's piece 14 and I can see piece 13 and they look like polar opposites. So here I wait with bated breath until you get home and piece it all together.

(one a side note...there's another word not used very often 'bated breath' and what does that really mean??) :cat: NOPE, I'm not looking for another word to use on the WDE....just curious whilst I await the puzzle. :p

Valri

Grunge
05-18-2005, 04:34 PM
Valri...here's your answer:

To moderate or restrain (a variation of "abate"): to bate one's enthusiasm, and, "to lessen or diminish," and "with bated breath - in a state of suspenseful anticipation."

"Bated breath" has been around a long time. Here's the first cite in the Oxford English Dictionary: "1596 Shakespeare, Merchant of Venice i. iii. 125 'With bated breath, and whispring humblenesse.'"

khourianya
05-18-2005, 06:35 PM
I scramble the numbering - so 14 is up near the top in the middle (approx). No worries - you are on track..once the puzzle is done, you'll see... :wink2:

I think bated breath could be another WDE thing. But not quite yet. They are still reeling from our whilst-a-thon.

khourianya
05-18-2005, 10:16 PM
Yep - I was right - it fits just fine. Trust me - in the end, you'll see.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-May-2005/47843-maypuzzle7.jpg

Valri Ary
05-19-2005, 12:54 AM
WOW........my piece should have been alot blacker than it is......OOPS! :confused: Sorry. Glad to hear that you scamble the numbering as I was wondering how it'd fit.

RE: bated breath.......Thanks GRUNGE for filling me in. Who knew? Not me apparently. :cool:
And maybe another time on the WDE we'll use another word ~ as I do agree with you, Cori, that they are still wondering whilst we plan another verbal assult upon them.....HAHA!!! :evil:

Valri

Grunge
05-19-2005, 02:17 PM
I didn't know the answer either and so I just had to surf until I found it. and once I found it I just had to share. and as a little perk...I found a really cook website with all sorts of that same useless yet interesting information. It will take me a long, long time to read it all, but I'll give it a shot.

Adriela
05-20-2005, 09:20 PM
Well, I'm done.:) Sorry Ive' been so absent, but had entered a CG challenge and didnt' find out until 8 days before it ended, so I've been a computer drawin' fool. Then.. I got up yesterday, after finishing up at 3:00 a.m. and getting in on time... and threw my back out cleaning out the litter box.
The upside is my husband waits on me hand and foot. The downside is, my husband waits on me hand and foot. :) I am bored out of my mind.
It's been fun.. I've learned a ton.
Tx.
Adri

khourianya
05-20-2005, 11:51 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=47781

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/859/completed/41822/tn_maymessup1.jpg

Okay - first rule of the piece by piece - "Thou shalt not put thyself down". This is really good and quite close to the original piece I sent you. It was a harder piece than it looked like and you did a beautiful job of it. You'll be able to see exactly how well you did once we get some more people submitting (HINT to all you dawdlers out there - yes, me included).

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-May-2005/47843-maypuzzle8.jpg

Grunge
05-21-2005, 03:23 PM
Hey Cori,

would I be correct in assuming that when all is said and done that we will get to see the original? Not to ask a stupid question...but I couldn't help myself.

khourianya
05-21-2005, 04:49 PM
You betcha...when this month finishes, I will post the painting we made along with the original painitng and any info that I manage to dig up about it.

If everyone submits by the 27th, i will post it then. If there are still pieces missing, I won't be able to post the finished product until I get back on the 2nd.

Anda G
05-21-2005, 09:45 PM
Hi Cori, and everybody else. I got the pm and this is what I have so far.

I have been away from my easel :crying: for most of this month. I didn't even start my May reference photo picture. Wahhh! :crying:

How does this look? I am going to compare it to the reference photo sent to me and make whatever changes I think I need.

:wave:
Andagail

Oops, gotta put the picture in...

khourianya
05-21-2005, 11:54 PM
This looks really great! Looks just like the reference - only less grainy. Just let me know when you want me to add it to the main puzzle. I know what it's like to not get to spend much time in front of the easel. I'm one of those people who always fills up her life plate to overflowing and then runs around trying to keep it all from spilling over. I have been working on the same painting for over 2 weeks now...

I have my piece set up and ready to paint. I may add it to the puzzle without the signature and then add the sig right before i leave on Friday.

khourianya
05-22-2005, 01:31 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=47812

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/859/completed/45982/tn_DSCN0609.JPG

If I "let" you play? lol...you can come back again and again and again! This looks awesome! You did well with the move from a dark dark piece to this one thatis so light and full of life! great job!

khourianya
05-22-2005, 01:34 AM
And here's where we're at tonight. I plan to do my piece either later tonight or tomorrow evening. Anyone care to join me? Maybe we can hit the halfway mark before the end of the long weekend!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-May-2005/47843-maypuzzle9.jpg

khourianya
05-22-2005, 12:55 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=47871

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/859/completed/39369/tn_cori%27s_pic_in_pastel_16.JPG

I think you have done a fabuous job, Christine! It wasn't an easy image to do and it came out just great. I'll add it to the main puzzle in a couple of minutes.

khourianya
05-22-2005, 12:58 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-May-2005/47843-maypuzzle10.jpg

Grunge
05-22-2005, 05:32 PM
this project is really turning out to be so cool!!! i love the new additions!!

BeckyMc
05-22-2005, 10:47 PM
Thanks for the compliment Cori - but I think perhaps that I was a little too lively and a little too light or was that yellow!!! :D This is such a great exercise - it is so difficult to intepret another artist's work, without adding all of your own thoughts! I'm kind of wondering whether someones's going to appear on my doorstep and confiscate all of my yellow OP's. :p Thanks for doing all of this work Cori! :wave:

khourianya
05-24-2005, 12:26 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=47911

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/859/completed/50746/tn_Piece-9.jpg

This looks really good, John. i don't know what you mean about the canvas showing through the paint - since this painting is pastel on paper...but perhaps the scan shows it that way... Great job, nonethe less...I'll post the update shortly.

khourianya
05-24-2005, 12:28 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=47909

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/859/completed/53551/tn_piece-10.jpg

Nice job on the colours. I figured I'd bring in a bit brighter painting for this month!

khourianya
05-24-2005, 12:29 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=47924

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/859/progress/47843/tn_25_khourianya---nosig.jpg

And, as promised, my own piece - before the signature got drawn in (and I really messed that part up...I could never be a forger)

I'll add the update in about 5 mins.

khourianya
05-24-2005, 12:33 AM
And now for the update...we're getting close, guys....over half way there.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-May-2005/47843-maypuzzle11.jpg

Now - how about the rest of you....where does your piece fit in?

kordelia
05-24-2005, 12:40 AM
why does that old (60's??) song "Downtown"... come to mind every time i peek in here????? :music: ... where all the lights are bright.... Downtown.... waiting for you tonite.... (something) brighter there, forget all your troubles, forget all your cares and go DOWNTOWN..... :music: :o (sorry..... got cori'd away.....) :wave:

khourianya
05-27-2005, 01:01 PM
Well, it looks like some of our pictures may be temporarilly missing after the server outage. I'm sure they'll appear soon.

Good thing i'm not going to be wrapping this one up until the end of the day on June 3rd. It gives all of you who couldn't access your messages a chance to get them done now!

emagineer
05-28-2005, 10:09 AM
Cori,

Along with WC being down...I had to totally reformat my system. Know you are probably off until after the holiday, but my piece is finished. Was going to post this morning, but now need to set up the scanner again. Piece will be posted for you asap. Sorry this puts you in a whirlwind when getting back to finish the project and apologies to the other entries for being so late.

John...I too thought the painting was on canvas. There is a pattern which showed up and thought at first it was water color paper. You and I may be using higher graphics and details are more obvious. Hopefully colors are true with the system fiasco at my end.

Cheers to all...

Sandy in Colorado

Anda G
05-28-2005, 11:43 PM
Hopefully WC will work and I will be able to send in my picture soon. I still have to use the 64.40.100.32... to get on. I think I have gotten addicted to this web site. :D :eek: Love these googly eyes.
Andagail

ArtsiePhartsie
05-29-2005, 08:29 PM
Here's my piece. This was fun!

~Artsie

Anda G
06-02-2005, 12:24 AM
My piece is in! I think I made it too yellow in places and it isn't perfectly square. Oh, well. I like it anyway. :p
:clap: Happy to have it in.
Andagail :wave:

After looking at the picture on here, it doesn't look too yellow. :confused:

khourianya
06-02-2005, 05:53 PM
Okay - I'm back in town again..it is just taking me a bit of time to get everything back in order around here. I will work on wrapping up this may project over today and tomorrow and then we can get moving with the new June project! If anyone hasn't had a chance to get their peice in yet - just make sure it is in by the end of the day tomorrow!!!! If you cannot upload it, PM it to me. After that - the project is closed.

I'll be back later with the updated...

khourianya
06-02-2005, 07:01 PM
I don't think I'll have time to comment on each of your pieces individually - I'm playing catch up now that i am back!

Anyway - fabulous job to you all..and we are only missing 2 pieces...which is really not bad at all..

And here is our update. I will leave it one more day to see if we can't get those two stragglers...and then i will close it off.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Jun-2005/47843-maypuzzle12.jpg

johndill01
06-02-2005, 11:07 PM
I don't know how the rest of you feel about this, but each painting that I have participated in gets better and better. I know that I am learning to see and to draw much better by this participation in these projects.

Kudos to Cori for selecting difficult, but beautiful works for each project. :clap: :clap:

Ron Biggs
06-03-2005, 04:51 AM
Cori thank you for hosting these projects, as well as being good fun itís great experience. :clap: :clap: :clap:
Iím on holiday for the next two weeks but if there are any pieces left when I get home Iím up for one. :wave:

emagineer
06-03-2005, 10:22 AM
Yikes, my scanner really is off....piece is the darkest of the lot. Will work on this issue for next time and apologies.

Love the buildings, they turned out great.

Sandy in Colorado

khourianya
06-04-2005, 01:53 AM
Okay - and now for the wrap up...thanks for your patience with this one...I have been running behind far too much lately. my hectic life is starting to catch up with me!

Here is where we left off...2 pieces short...
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Jun-2005/47843-maypuzzle12.jpg

Here is the puzzle with those two pieces showing the original work...
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Jun-2005/47843-mayfinal.jpg

And here is our inspiration.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Jun-2005/47843-intothenight_original.jpg

Into the Night (2000)
Alan Flattmann
Pastel on Board, 21 X 28

Alan Flattmann's website is www.alanflattmann.com

I could not find this painting anywhere online...so I had to scan it out of a magazine that American Artists put out last years called "Pastel Highlights 2" If you have this magazine, he has a great article in it about the different papers he uses and why. The article is on page 22 if you have the book. This painting was shown on page 24.

Great job everyone and thanks for participating this month! The June project is up and going and I have a whole bunch of pieces to send out tonight so i had better get cracking. Feel free to drop by and sign up. I am taking a different spin on the June painting that should be a test to how good we are seeing!

khourianya
06-07-2005, 01:07 AM
Oh - and a last minute update...we recieved one of the missing pieces (Thanks Grunge and son of grunge).

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Jun-2005/47843-actualfinal.jpg

Now, I think we're done. Thanks guys! Now go sign up for the June project - there's only 11 pieces left!!!

HRH Goldie
06-14-2005, 06:35 PM
Thanks so much Cori - this has been a lot of work for you so thanks for inviting me over.
I was really reluctant as I thought I might not be able to do it but it certainly was liberating and yes I learnt something more about drawing what we see not what we think we see.
Rolph Harris did the same thing over here on a much grander scale of course but I think the folks here did a much better job. :clap: :clap: :clap:
I have saved the image that has been stitched and I am off now to see if I can enlarge it any so I can study all of the little squares and how they match up.
Well done everyone <<<<<<<<hugs for Cori>>>>>>>>>>> :wave: