PDA

View Full Version : Whitewash

Artistanne
04-29-2005, 02:04 PM
Am currently battling it out with this one: all white laundry. I WILL WIN. :D

This is the underpainting (ultramarine/turp-wash) and some of the first layer. Oil on canvas, 30" x 40"

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Apr-2005/45754-whitewash1.jpg

marsva
04-29-2005, 05:12 PM
Great Start!! Can't wait to see it progress.
I hope you have lots of undies in your drawer!! :D It looks like it might take a while.
mars

A Few Pigments
04-29-2005, 05:44 PM
Hi Artistanne, Iím trying to paint a white soft toy now so I can sympathize with your agony in trying to paint white objects. One trick is to paint everything else first. That can help you judge the values in the white more easily. Another way is to do a value drawing first to work out those irritating values. And yet another way, in these high tech times we live in, is to take a picture of your subject framed as you want to paint it, load it into a paint or photo editing program and use the eyedroper tool to see the differences in values between the areas of the white objects and the areas of the coloured objects. The values will be a little different in a photo and the shadows wonít have as much light in them, but itís good enough to get an idea of what the real values are. As long as we have computer thereís no reason to not use them to help us better understand what weíre looking at. Good luck with your painting.

Artistanne
04-29-2005, 06:25 PM
Ah, now that's better...

I finished up the second layer and got most of my middle values in--leaning towards a lot of blue violets tempered by yellow ochres--but by the time I'm done, I'm sure I'll have a lot more colors in there. I really threw myself a curve by including a full spectrum of textures and "colors"--satin, cotton, terry cloth, knit in both warm (ivory) and cool whites. I did it on purpose so it would be more interesting, but it's definitely tricky.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Apr-2005/45754-whitewash2.jpg

thanks Mars--this is actually a "family portrait"--me, my little girl and my husband ;)

Bruce, I'm a color freak, so painting white has always been a real challenge for me--I have a tough time working with a limited palette, I don't think anyone would describe my work as subtle. LOL :wink2: However, since white is made up of all the colors, there is no reason NOT to go a little wild, right?

haaf
04-29-2005, 07:33 PM
Hi Anne
nice challenges you give yourself ............lots of work ahead for you..and it looks like you are sailing with confidence
Have a look here http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=183993 that was my attempt at whites........that painting took an enormous amount of time

Artistanne
04-29-2005, 09:45 PM
Caroline, that painting of yours of the white ranunculus is just beautiful!

Anita Murphy
04-30-2005, 10:25 AM
Anne I love your laundrey series - SO original!
And a huge challenge with nothing but the whites!

laketrees
05-02-2005, 07:20 AM
Looking great Anne....brilliant way to get out of washing..... :D just leave the clothes lying around so you can paint them...... :D :D...
cheers kim

Artistanne
05-02-2005, 03:56 PM
Thanks Anita and Kim!!!

Here's today's progress... (I left the sink counter in for scale reference)
That lacy sweater was a real challenge...I think the worst is over! :)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-May-2005/45754-whitewash3.jpg

laketrees
05-03-2005, 12:56 AM
Hi Anne....you really have the textures happening now...nice tonal variation too....quite delicate...but then they are delicates aren't they?... :D
cheers kim

LisaArt
05-03-2005, 04:53 AM
Hi Anne, I have enjoyed this so much. Love your laundry series idea. You have done a great job with the white and the textures are super. Great job on that sweater..woohoo. :wave:

Artistanne
05-03-2005, 10:42 AM
Hi Kim! thanks for looking...my daughter's gym socks and my husband's t-shirts are not delicates though! LOL Hopefully, those will be easier to do--actually I can't wait to do her little socks.

Thanks Lisa. :)

Here's a little more done:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-May-2005/45754-whitewash4.jpg

Gilberte
05-03-2005, 01:00 PM
I was here and here I am again just to watch how you "build-up" the painting ... just great !

Spyderbabe
05-03-2005, 03:53 PM
Love the way you have so many great testures showing.

marsva
05-03-2005, 08:53 PM
I just love watching this process!!!
At one point I noticed you had added the purple and thought you were loosing the "whites". Now you are all in good tone with shadow I think, but might have to punch up the highlights so that you keep the "whites" and not the light blues! I think this is just fabulous!!
Such fun...thanks so much for posting the progress. I love the idea of your laundry series, god nows we see enough of the piles of laundry!!

Artistanne
05-03-2005, 09:09 PM
I just love watching this process!!!
At one point I noticed you had added the purple and thought you were loosing the "whites". Now you are all in good tone with shadow I think, but might have to punch up the highlights so that you keep the "whites" and not the light blues! I think this is just fabulous!!
Such fun...thanks so much for posting the progress. I love the idea of your laundry series, god nows we see enough of the piles of laundry!!

Mars, you know what's funny with this one--everytime I photograph it the "colors" look different. I always wait til the very end to put in the real white-whites/highlights. I'll also throw in some bizarre stuff like oranges etc. in some of the shadows to tone down some of that lavender--not too much, just enough to make it interesting. LOL

Oh and thanks Gilbert and Kathleen for looking/comments! :wave:

I'm actually going to be making this whole laundry thing into a "project". I'm planning to paint the laundry of at least 20 (possibly more) people--strangers included. I want to show the different ways people express themselves through what they wear. Yes, I AM insane. I've already got 3 people lined up who've volunteered and I'm getting post cards printed that I plan to post on the bulletin board in the local laundromat, coffee house, at FIT (Fashion Institute) in NYC, etc. When I'm done, hopefully I will find a place to exhibit the work--I will hang it with a wall tag with the person's first name only, their occupation, and a one line quote.

laketrees
05-04-2005, 01:29 AM
Developing beautifully Anne....
cheers kim

Anita Murphy
05-04-2005, 11:52 AM
Anne - this is looking wonderful!

Artistanne
05-04-2005, 01:46 PM
Thanks Kim and Anita!

Here's what I've got done today and a detail shot of the most finished area.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-May-2005/45754-whitewash5.jpg

detail:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-May-2005/45754-detail5.jpg

Esmeralinda
05-04-2005, 07:00 PM
Just want you to know that I'm also an interested spectator...... :cool:
So original and fun :clap:

marsva
05-04-2005, 08:16 PM
This is just so fun to watch!!
When you paint "other peoples Laundry" you aren't going to have to wash it too are you??? LOL
This is really coming along beautifully!! Just goes to show how exciting and bedazzling a pile of white laundry can be! :clap:

laketrees
05-04-2005, 08:33 PM
Hi Anne...love that sculptured look with the bra...and the detail with the writing....you have the lines on the socks just right..... :clap: ....that new ribbed texture on the right looks wonderful......
cheers kim

LisaArt
05-05-2005, 03:45 AM
Oh Yeah! Smashing work Anne, the purple and blue tones are just so seducing! excellent work on the bra and details....
I really enjoy looking at this. I agree with Marvsa....Just goes to show how exciting and bedazzling a pile of white laundry can be!

Gilberte
05-05-2005, 04:20 AM
All the folds and the fabrics and the bra being the focus ......... bravo !

Artistanne
05-05-2005, 01:09 PM
Thanks! It's pretty much done...I put it in OCF... :wave: