PDA

View Full Version : Distraction

Mikey
04-29-2005, 05:03 AM
I wanted to acquire more human form skills for structure and flesh. The girl's arm is naturally quite cylindrical and I want to change that. You will appreciate that the body isn't qite complete. This is still pre colour.

I have used much thicker paint for this one and am wanting to get closer to my acrylic technique. I have ordered Roberson's siccative. My first reason is that Bouguereau used powerful siccatives and I want to see what happens. There may be other additives which don't slow the drying times. Has anybody had any experience.

Mikey :D

Mikey
04-29-2005, 02:18 PM
I'm bringing more modelling in with the colours now. I'm still not happy with that left arm of hers as there is very little muscle definition. Well, OK, she isn't Madonna.

BTW that light colour next to her face doesn't mean it will be that way.

Mikey

A Few Pigments
04-29-2005, 05:14 PM
Hi Mikey, this is looking Ab Fab. Iím struggling with figure drawing myself. Iím beyond the stick figure point now, but not by much. Iíve found contour drawing helps a lot. Every time I work on the Choosing I think about Bouguereaus ďthrow-everything-including-the-kitchen-sink-at-it approach. Iíve come to think of Bouguereau as what I now call ďOne of the great desperatesĒ. That is artists who will try anything to get the results they want including using flour in their paint. Iím trying to avoid that trap myself. Some of the things they used caused damage to their paintings over time. Norman Rockwell could be put in that category too. Although Rockwell was an illustrator, his work was somewhere between illustration and fine art.

Thereís nothing wrong with siccatives, although it doesnít take much to ruin a paint layer. Our own WFMartin uses siccatives sometimes. Heís a great and helpful fellow, and Iím sure he could give you some great advice about how to avoid any problems with them. He gave me a lot of help in understanding how I could use just three pigments to create all the colours of the rainbow. Personally I think you already have as much mastery of the medium as Bouguereau did.

Mikey
04-29-2005, 05:43 PM
Hi Bruce, Bougies paintings are beginning to show cracking, although I really wouldn't know how his work compares with that of other artists of that time. I suppose it's still a case of making sure the lower layers will dry sooner. On mixing Michael Wilcox's books helped me to get a good foundation, using three or six pigments at the most. The thing which does amaze me about WB is his brushwork, for which he used hog filberts. He seems to have an amazing way of hiding the strokes, even without blending.

Many thanks for the kind comments.

Mikey

A Few Pigments
04-29-2005, 05:55 PM
Hi Mikey,
I know he blended with his fingers as much as he blended with a brush. Iíve found blending with polyester brushes is almost as good as using sable brushes. And sometimes I use my fingers.

Mikey
04-29-2005, 06:06 PM
Yep, I use synthetic filberts to blend, nice and soft, but with the spring, and my fingers at times, plus a rag. I bought a W&N Monarch synthetic mongoose brush, which is quite good and wearing fairly well. I had to buy it in the local shop, so it was much dearer. The Escoda Tadami mongoose brushes are good at first, but tend to splay out when I use them. I do like the Escoda Tejin brushes for softness. The points seem to wear quickly as they have fine filaments, but they don't splay out.

Mikey

laketrees
05-02-2005, 06:50 AM
Hi Mikey....I like the pose and the profile....by additives do you mean mediums??...I find the gel medium that I use actually speeds up drying time..
cheers kim

Mikey
05-02-2005, 10:45 AM
Kim,

Do you mean Liquin Gel? That would speed up drying, but would it make for transparency? It is used for glazing according to my catalogue. It will be worth a try, in fact I'll probably experiment with various things, so long as I still use the same paints.

Mikey

laketrees
05-03-2005, 12:47 AM
Hi Mikey...I use ARCHIVA...smooth gel medium...Chroma...made in Australia....fast drying....very thick medium...with unique ability to maintain the textural quality of oil painting techniques...thats what is says on the tube.... :D ...the other one I use is ART SPECTRUM (Professional quality)...ARTISTS' OIL PAINTING WAX MEDIUM....A BRUSHABLE WAX AND OIL MEDIUM MIXED WITH OIL PAINT TO IMPART A LUSCIOUS SATIN FINISH....on the label... :D I use equal or more oil paint with them so wouldn't know about using them for glazing...I always glaze with a little oil paint and lots of fat medium....
cheers kim

Mikey
05-03-2005, 05:56 AM
Hi Kim, I've never heard of these, but expect Archiva is similar to Liquin. I've never see the wax medium around at all. What I'm looking for is a certain feel, for the paint to go down the way I want it. Experimenting seems to be a good thing.

Mikey