PDA

View Full Version : Artest grade, Hoblins

Golden Kfir
04-27-2005, 09:25 PM
I went to the art store the other day. I sampled the artist grade, oil pastels that Hoblens offers. Not to get it confused with the student grade. They are very expensive but the intensity of color sets it apart from anything I've seen. Has anyone else used these?

sundiver
04-27-2005, 09:40 PM
Aren't they yummy? They're my favorites.

CarlyHardy
04-28-2005, 01:26 AM
I just ordered the 48 set of Holbeins in their Artist quality! Can't wait for them to get here. Their student brand is the only student grade that I recommend. Although a bit waxier, they are still much easier to use and the color is much better than other student grades.
carly

Pat Isaac
04-28-2005, 08:57 AM
Oh, yes. I use them all the time along with my Senneliers. i like the different hues of color and the Senneliers have a range of greys and earth colors that are just yummy.

Pat

Becky Foster
04-28-2005, 11:05 AM
I think I finally have every color Holbein has to offer...definitely my favorite brand. They work better than Senneliers for many of my techniques - one technique that comes to mind is rubbing my finger or thumb along one and dabbing on top layers without disturbing layers underneath - they're soooo creamy. I also like to run a firm color shaper over one to "paint" really fine lines. Can't really do that with the Senneliers. But I'd be lost without the Senneliers too...they're great for thickening things up and getting some sheen. I think I started with Holbein's wooden box set of 175 and every time I had to replace a color I'd buy like 5 or 10 new colors (they come in sets of 5).

-BeckyT

CarlyHardy
04-28-2005, 09:47 PM
Oops, that's a box of 40! and they arrived today. Luscious colors. I can't wait until I can take them plein air and play!!
carly

Golden Kfir
04-28-2005, 11:42 PM
I think I finally have every color Holbein has to offer...definitely my favorite brand. They work better than Senneliers for many of my techniques - one technique that comes to mind is rubbing my finger or thumb along one and dabbing on top layers without disturbing layers underneath - they're soooo creamy. I also like to run a firm color shaper over one to "paint" really fine lines. Can't really do that with the Senneliers. But I'd be lost without the Senneliers too...they're great for thickening things up and getting some sheen. I think I started with Holbein's wooden box set of 175 and every time I had to replace a color I'd buy like 5 or 10 new colors (they come in sets of 5).

-BeckyT Senneliers are too soft for me. They act like they're made from a stick of butter. The color intensity both offer is similar, I'll still think Hoblins are more pure. Neopastel are good too, but their colors aren't as saturated as Senneliers or Hobins. They seem more muted.