PDA

View Full Version : Portrait "Going to the Dance"

reese
04-27-2005, 02:29 PM
This is a portrait of my daughter in her dancing dress. I used somewhat looser brushstrokes to better capture the moment & her youthfulness. I am looking for all open advice; color variation, subject positioning, shadowing (although the lighting was frontal do you think creating shadows may of added more diemension?) etc... :clap:

I thank you in advance.
Reese.

laketrees
04-27-2005, 06:56 PM
Hi Reece...looks like you have done a good job here but it's hard to tell as your image is so small...have you had problems uploading the image?..you can make the image larger if you go through quick links and the image uploader...looking forward to seeing the larger version...
cheers kim

Mikey
05-02-2005, 03:51 PM
Yes please, lets see a larger photo.

Mikey

ponting
05-12-2005, 02:55 PM
Hello Reese

Ditto the size and could we know what medium and size are you working in here?

Cheers, Di :cat:

reese
05-14-2005, 07:12 PM
I told myself that I wouldn't post anymore untill I familiarized myself with posting threads correctly. You may not be aware, but when I originally posted "Going to the dance" I accidentally posted it three times, Yikes!

But I don't want to seem rude in response to your very gracious request to see a larger picture. So I will attempt to post a larger version. I hope it works.

I really appreciate any input and I thank you in advance.

(The portrait is of my daughter. Oil on canvas 20" x 24")

Reese

p.s. I hope that the attachment download works. I apologize in advance if it doesn't.

laketrees
05-15-2005, 07:35 AM
Ah yes Reese this is better....when you resize your photo the dimension of one side can be as large as 600...worth while experimenting...it is frustrating when your new to posting.... :D this painting is very delicate and she has a lovely smile...you have captured the fragility of a ballet dancer here.....
cheers kim

ponting
05-15-2005, 11:33 AM
Thanks you Reese

The delicate nature of the subject creates a bit of a challenge in balancing the picture. Tulle is so light and ethereal that the best way to depict it is to work around and in it with as little definition as possible but you may have to do much more of this in order to add some weight to the lower half of the painting. The absence of darks and definition in that area leave her head in need of anchoring. If you view her through a squint, you will get a more accurate idea of the values that need to be worked into the lower half. If this were mine, I would be looking to add background to add balance and definition at the same time....just in the bottom half. Nothing as extremely dark as her hair...just work up the colour a little at a time until you can see it working.

Cheers and thanks again for sharing this with us. Dianna

reese
05-16-2005, 09:35 AM
I just wanted to say thank you to Kim for such a sincere compliment. :)

I wanted to say a big thank you to Dianna, for her wonderful critiquing as well as her advice on posting & replying. I am giving it a try right now. :)

I agree, Wet Canvas is a wonderful place. A place for artists of all types of media to collaborate & strengthen their skills. It is just such a relief to have a "art community" to visit, to share and to learn from. :clap:

Sincerely,
Penny
(Reese)

ponting
05-16-2005, 09:56 AM
You've got it!! Happy painting, Di :wave:

Mikey
05-16-2005, 10:03 AM
Hi Penny, you've already had help from two well qualified people, so I just wanted to pop in and encourage you. I'll be looking out for more of your work in the future.

Mikey