PDA

View Full Version : A Demo Fri. night @ an art supply store.

Marc Hanson
04-27-2005, 01:36 PM
I was invited to give a pastel demo at a St.Paul,MN art supply store appropriately called Wet Paint. This is your dream come true old fashioned 'stuffed to the gills' art supply mecca. Very crowded in terms of holding demos. I was in a 3+ foot space between the framing table and the wall lined with oil paints. People were to my behind, to the left , to the right peaking inbetween and around racks of paints, paper, and all the other supplies. But it was fun. Saw some people that I have in class, some taking future classes and some old friends.

I had been out the day before and painted the pastel "Snake Tree", which I posted here last week. To do something fresh in the manner of a plein air pastel, I decided to close in on 'Snake Tree' and do a painting of the trunk and bank in that piece. I was asked to do this as a result of the article in Plein Air Magazine, so I thought that it would be wise to paint as if I were doing a plein air piece. I had 2 hours to do it in, and by about an hour and a half I was at the point where stopping made sense. There was a lot of back and forth talking so the 2 hours was just right.

The first one is the demo, 'Cut Bank', 10x12 pastel....and the second one is the reference 'Snake Tree", 11x14.

The third one is Dr.Frankenstein.... :D I used to have hair. :wink2:

mnpainter
04-27-2005, 04:19 PM
Hello,

I;ll take a look at the M. Graham Napthol Red please, no not that one!!!! Right that one!!!!! Oh wait I had flash backs of a recent trip there!!!! :wink2: Does it make any diff to use a print out of a reference like you did here or to use the original piece to work from? also got to see the close and in person version of this and it is SPECTACULAR as always!!!!! Nice!!!!!!

Ben

beaux-art
04-27-2005, 07:28 PM
Beautiful! I did a similar subject about a month ago (didn't post it), a tree along a creek bank, backlit, but I was overwhelmed by the background. I love how you simplified yours- beautiful purple and blue shadows with bits of new green shining through.

Cecelia

antgeek
04-27-2005, 09:25 PM
how nice for all those who could attend, it turned out beautifully, as all your work does. (pshaw! hair is overrated!)
thanks for sharing :wave:

Marc Hanson
04-27-2005, 09:59 PM
Hello,

I;ll take a look at the M. Graham Napthol Red please, no not that one!!!! Right that one!!!!! Oh wait I had flash backs of a recent trip there!!!! :wink2: Does it make any diff to use a print out of a reference like you did here or to use the original piece to work from? also got to see the close and in person version of this and it is SPECTACULAR as always!!!!! Nice!!!!!!

Ben
Hey be nice... ;) Thanks Ben.

I had both there, the original is to the right(in the photo). I like to have both, but the photo is so lacking that I mostly use it for expanding on the character of the leaves, branches, textures and so forth. All color came from the field study.+

Marc Hanson
04-27-2005, 10:02 PM
Beautiful! I did a similar subject about a month ago (didn't post it), a tree along a creek bank, backlit, but I was overwhelmed by the background. I love how you simplified yours- beautiful purple and blue shadows with bits of new green shining through.

Cecelia
Thank you. It's a beautiful time of year for subtle color. Now if the wind would die down and the temperature would come up to a comfortable spring level I'd be happy. This sleet, snow and 35 degree temperature stuff is for the penguins!!! :D

Marc Hanson
04-27-2005, 10:05 PM
how nice for all those who could attend, it turned out beautifully, as all your work does. (pshaw! hair is overrated!)
thanks for sharing :wave:

Serra, Thanks. More does keep the noggin warmer though. :)

mnpainter
04-27-2005, 10:29 PM
Ahh, Just adding some humor!!! :wink2: I was there this early eve, and even spotted some dust!!!! :D

Ben

Eugene Veszely
04-29-2005, 10:57 AM
Marc with those green thumbs I bet you are a great gardener too!! ;)