PDA

View Full Version : Collage images

ElizaLeahy
04-26-2005, 06:34 PM
I have some postcards from 1900 on. This collection was started by my great, great aunties. I also have two womens magazines from 1886. The postcards are mostly English/Australian, while the magazines are American (and have some VERY funny ads!)

I'm in the process of scanning them. I thought it would be a pity for them to crumble away to nothing! Then I thought "I wonder if collage artists would use the images?"

So - would you? I'm thinking of selling them as 400dpi files that you can reuse and resize to your hearts content. Copyright isn't an issue because of the nature and age of these items.

Do you think they are a saleable item? I put one set up on eBay, but was thinking of creating a web page specificially for this.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6528265290&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&rd=1

Any suggestions?

Pars
04-26-2005, 07:12 PM
I wish my family had kept their old ephemera. :evil: All they left me was a tired violin and a passion for art.

Yes, these are very saleable and there is a huge market for old photographs and letters. However, it is also somewhat competitive. If you reproduce them as sheets and offer them on a webpage - you also need to promote them.

If you'd like some website examples of similar work, let me know and I'll some up for you.

And, I am not certain I understand your ebay listing - but then again I was speed reading. :wave:

ElizaLeahy
04-26-2005, 07:35 PM
*worry* What part didn't you understand?

Thanks for the feedback. I've seen a few other sites. From what I can tell about collage artists they are always happy to get new sources!

Pars
04-26-2005, 07:42 PM
**not to worry ** - I read it more slowly. I understand you'll send by jpeg, that's the part I hadn't caught. Intriguing idea for many.

Good luck with the venture and if you do a webpage, let me know and I'll help spread the word.

ElizaLeahy
04-27-2005, 03:05 AM
OK, here is a web page :)

That is less then 1/4 of my collection - this is going to take ages!

http://www.original-minds.org/ephemera/

If you can give any suggestions as to where I should be advertising this, I'm open to them. I thought of joining some Yahoo groups that do collage and altered books.

Let me know if there is any problems on the site

Penny220
04-27-2005, 07:26 AM
I see old ads allot framed in businesses. They are always a hit and with a broader market than just artists.

lisavollrath
04-27-2005, 08:26 AM
I use vintage images like yours for both work and play, and I've purchased quite a few CDs of them. Currently, I'm paying $10 for CDs of 100 or so images.

The company I work for is selling vintage image CDs tucked into full color books that show the images. We're doing 150 images plus the book for $20.

(Just so you have something to compare to.)

sarahbellum
04-27-2005, 06:20 PM
OK, here is a web page :)

That is less then 1/4 of my collection - this is going to take ages!

http://www.original-minds.org/ephemera/

If you can give any suggestions as to where I should be advertising this, I'm open to them. I thought of joining some Yahoo groups that do collage and altered books.

Let me know if there is any problems on the site

You might want to check into cross-linking with some commercial sites that sell papers and stamping materials and stuff.

ElizaLeahy
04-28-2005, 04:35 AM
Lisa, I can't compete with that, so I won't try to. I think that my prices are fair, and the quality of the product is excellent. The first person to buy just wrote back to me and couldn't stop raving about how they printed out.

Thanks for letting me know.

Pars
04-28-2005, 07:45 AM
PM me and I'll give you a link to an on-line collage artist selling/trading group. You might want to test market with them.