PDA

View Full Version : Mount Vision Pastels

HarvestMoon
04-26-2005, 10:36 AM
Hi all, I had some samples of Mount Vision pastels and a couple of weeks ago got the full new set of 275 (as well as a few new new samples not yet out). I stopped taking the Rembrants and Nupastels to class (they were the required ones) and took first half the set, then the entire set to class. They fit perfectly in the Roz boxes (takes 2 for full set)- in fact they fit better than the Unisons. The colors are spectacular- I especially the blues, pinks, and purples, but the greens and browns and greys are all great. Everyone in the class that tried them loved them, so a few others are now showing up with their Mt. Visions. I don't know where these have been 'hiding' I only find them on the internet- not even in the new Jerrys they put in Austin, even though everyone has them over the internet. My teacher said they were so much alike Unisons, and so much larger and cheaper, she now has some too. Mind you, I do like some other brands, and originally got these to 'travel with in my Roz boxes, but now they get spread out all over my bed in their box for use every time I paint.

I snagged a pic from their site- but cannot for some reason get it to display (I have never downloaded a picture from a website- sorry) but here are some pretty colors to look at:
http://www.mountvisionpastels.com/pastel_sets_index.htm

Khadres
04-26-2005, 03:59 PM
I can't wait to get my sampler sets! If they're anything like Unisons, I'll like them, I'm sure! Sadly, the LAST thing I need is another complete set! Still very tempting.

HarvestMoon
04-30-2005, 06:08 PM
Well, I did 6 paintings of fruit and vegetables using Mount Vision Pastels, and they turned out really bright and colorful! I took them to a new fruit/ veg. store opening up in town and the owner had wonderful, colorful produce and sauces, but the walls were bare- so she absolutely loved them and hung them immediately. The strawberrys hang over the fresh strawberries, etc. I feel great to have my pictures hanging somewhere, and don't think the colors would have been so intense with anything else.

Khadres
04-30-2005, 07:19 PM
Good luck with your veggie paintings! And be ready to do more as these first ones fly off the walls!

HarvestMoon
04-30-2005, 08:23 PM
actually, I wonder what the art market is for goat pictures? I bet NOBODY specializes in GOAT ART. with mt. vision I could have cool purple goats, blue goats, pink goats, etc.... may have to go do one!

kkelly
05-01-2005, 11:38 PM
Just a note to let everyone know that Mount Vision Pastels will be at IAPS next weekend. Stop by and say hello.....

HarvestMoon
05-02-2005, 05:33 AM
I wish I could go- but the kids and husband have other plans. I would only ruin them by drooling over all the pretty colors anyway! Ah those beautiful blues! Tell everyone to buy a couple of Roz boxes and the collection fits almost completely in it- they fill the slots up completely not like the 'little' unisons :D

Khadres
05-02-2005, 05:52 AM
Well, if the ones I ordered will just get here, I'll try 'em out on something right away! I just KNOW we're going to wish we'd gone to the IAPS thing if only we could have! And just think! This one is dedicated to PASTELS, too! The one in Santa Fe has all sorts of art stuff, but the IAPS is strictly pastel-oriented from what I understand! I'd be wandering around with my mouth hangin' open leaking credit cards from my purse for three days!

Funny you should mention goats! I just thought of that myself...you could certainly corner the market on goat art! Hop to it! If you start now, you'll be able to save up plenty for the trip to Santa Fe next year!

tURBOCAT
05-02-2005, 07:42 AM
I ordered ( and received, Sooz!) a small order of Mt Visions. I got the small color selection and a darks selection. I LOVE THEM!!!! Rich and intense. And I love the way they go down "dry" as opposed to "creamy".

I vote you try them out.

Purples - I thought about doing goats - how weird is that? I even asked my son if he'd seen any goats around the area.

Johnnie

HarvestMoon
05-02-2005, 12:11 PM
Well, just come to the hill country of Texas and you will find goats on top of your car soon! Funny how guests don't like that!

Khadres
05-02-2005, 12:53 PM
I wonder what the deal is with goats and high places? Maybe they remember the Great Flood and want to be above the next one!

HarvestMoon
05-02-2005, 06:49 PM
Sooz, no, not the flood although they really complain when it rains, but it is a game- they love to play 'king of the hill'. Whichever goat is on top plays head-butting games with any challengers. I don't know about wild goats, but with out spoiled goats, they love to rare up on their back legs then clash horns at exactly the same time. They have smiles on their face if you can believe it, and seem to have a rip-roaring time doing it! If the 'hill' is your vw bug, well.....

Khadres
05-02-2005, 07:02 PM
Sooz, no, not the flood although they really complain when it rains, but it is a game- they love to play 'king of the hill'. Whichever goat is on top plays head-butting games with any challengers. I don't know about wild goats, but with out spoiled goats, they love to rare up on their back legs then clash horns at exactly the same time. They have smiles on their face if you can believe it, and seem to have a rip-roaring time doing it! If the 'hill' is your vw bug, well.....

Yeah, do they make goat proof car top covers? I always like animals with great senses of humor!

chewie
05-02-2005, 07:52 PM
i've been thrilled with my greg b. sets of mt. visions. i love that they have that dry, scritchy feel. (its that a word? is now!) and painting with the sides, great fun!

has anyone heard of the lightfastness of visions?? i hope its good, cuz i plan to make my next purchase that brand if the rating is good. i sure do love that when i buy a stick of it, you really have something to hold, literally! kinda makes it easier to just start painting, instead of dabbing tiny spots, trying not to 'waste' it. go ahead and paint!

i've done a light test myself this winter--i used acid free white bristol, and several colors of each brand pastel i have, taped a hunk of mat over half of the mark, and taped the sheet to the window. so far, the only one that's changed is nupastel. fun to try.

HarvestMoon
05-02-2005, 09:19 PM
Please keep us posted on the lightfastness test. Since we have blazing hot western exposure in the summer, I think I will try that too. And I heard that Sooz has gotten her mount visions as well as 5 free ones, and is off to hobby lobby with that 1/2 off coupon for papers! (Sooz, bet you already have more that hobby lobby ha ha). I have heard that though about nupastels- we should ask mt. vision if they have a rating- I know they are getting ready for a big show so may not have time right now to respond.

Chewie- if Bush can make up words, so can we!

Khadres
05-02-2005, 11:40 PM
I got my paper "fix" at Hobby Lobby...just chillin' and dryin' out from the rain a bit before dabblin' some. I may be wrong, but I would think that Mt. Visions as well as all the other major brands are made with quality pigments which means they're as lightfast as any you'll find. NuPastels have a bad rep because they're not top of the line...actually, they're intended for student use anyway...meant to be cheap, not necessarily archival. (BTW, Polychromos -- Faber-Castell's answer to NuPastels ARE rated for lightfastness as are Schmincke soft pastels.) That being said, even NuPastels only have a few colors that are fugitive...these days pigments are a lot more stable than in the past. If you like Mt. Visions, you're probably safe using them.

My new ones look nice, I'll admit...I got five each of reds, blues, violets, and yellows...plus he sent me a really dark purple, a pale lime green, a warm ecru kinda white, an orange and white. Since I have all of Terry Ludwig's greens, I should certainly be able to paint almost anything...not even counting all the others I've got!

prestonsega
05-03-2005, 03:27 AM
My first introduction to Mt Vision was via a sampler pack from Dakota Pastel, I was immediately drawn to them. The size was perfect for my large hand and heavy handed approachh to pasteling,,,they don't break as easily as the others and the colors sing!!!!!!! Hard enough to blend/scumble. I am not lucky enough to have the complete set, but I aim to continue to add regularly as finances allow.

HarvestMoon
05-03-2005, 04:25 AM
NuPastels have a bad rep because they're not top of the line...actually, they're intended for student use anyway...meant to be cheap, not necessarily archival. (BTW, Polychromos -- Faber-Castell's answer to NuPastels ARE rated for lightfastness as are Schmincke soft pastels.) That being said, even NuPastels only have a few colors that are fugitive...these days pigments are a lot more stable than in the past.

I like the Faber-Castells as well- am saving my nupastels for the kids. My 12 year old wants the Mt. Visions and Giraults though!

HarvestMoon
05-03-2005, 04:29 AM
Hello all,
Karl Kelly who makes these wonderful pastels responded in an email to the lightfastness question and I hope it is ok to share with everyone:

I thought I would just reply to your lightfastness
questions directly. Most of the pastels are absolutely
lightfast. Two of the synthetic pigments that I use
are less so- they are considered permanet or durible I
forget which. Basically in a lightfast scale of 1-8,
the yellow, #290- is a 6-7. The red that I use is PR
112 and I think its' rating is about the same. The
others are Phthalo's Blue and Green, and Quinacridone
all with a rating of 8. I would be interested in
seeing any lightfast tests that are done.
:clap:

Khadres
05-03-2005, 09:08 AM
Even those he mentions as less than full 10s are still high up on the scale, so I wouldn't worry much...let's face it, we're talking light fastness here...how many of us actually hang artwork in the direct sunlight as a permanent location? At least Kelly has weighed the information he has and KNOWS how lightfast his colors are...that's a good sign. Funny thing is, the yellows always seem to be the culprits in almost any test...wonder why that is? And I always thought the 'pthalos' were pretty stable. Maybe there just AREN'T perfectly stable pigments in some hues?

HarvestMoon
05-03-2005, 11:36 AM
Well, most of the pigment names sound like greek to me....I would think they would be made of pure minerals, but I guess using ground rose quartz for pink would give you a rock to work with on 2nd thought... so what are the pigments made of?

Khadres
05-03-2005, 03:44 PM
See if you can locate a copy of Ralph Mayer's book on artist's materials...has a lot of good info. There are other books on the subject as well but I don't recall the titles. I guess MOST art pigments these days are synthetics made to replace the more toxic colors of old such as the cadmiums, cobalts, etc. From what Kitty has said, these newer quinacridones, etc. are much more permanent and stable, as well as being far less toxic. She actually had herself tested for toxic levels after spending years using pastels, old and new, and even making her own for years and turned up no signs of toxic levels of anything. I figure if she got by with all the work she's done with the dusties, I should be just fine. And by the sound of it...the newer pigments are a lot more lightfast and reliable, to boot.

As a geologist, I bet you'd LOVE a little book I bought awhile back...will have to dig out the title and author, but it's a diary of the author's worldwide journeys to discovered the origins of the various pigments used throughout history for the creation of art. Wonderful book. Everything from cow pee to dried beetles to plain ole dirt figured into many of the original hues we take for granted. These days, of course, they have much improved the processes and I imagine force feeding cows to harvest their pee is now a thing of the past. :D

Still...I've often thought how luxurious it would be to hold a pastel made of lapis lazuli instead of just plain ole ultramarine!

HarvestMoon
05-03-2005, 06:29 PM
I love lapis jewelry, and malachite, ocean jasper, amethyst, you name it- but you would have to do your pastels on a rough 'streak plate' to get anything off of them- most are pretty hard. I think some cactus buds and algerita berries were used around here for dye by the American Indians- would love to see that book though, and will look for the other!

Khadres
05-03-2005, 06:53 PM
Here both are on amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0812971426/qid=1115157110/sr=2-2/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_2/104-8260509-2699127

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0670837016/qid=1115157165/sr=2-1/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_1/104-8260509-2699127

Both are well worth having.

HarvestMoon
05-06-2005, 01:23 PM
Sooz, naturally, amazon has both books on the way- sigh. So have you TRIED your new Mt. Visions or are you still drooling over the new Unisons?

Khadres
05-06-2005, 05:14 PM
I tried each one out on a scrap of Belgian Mist yesterday...quite nice seeming. Now I'm trying to decide what to paint next...!

HarvestMoon
06-06-2005, 01:14 PM
I finally got a picture of the Mount Vision pastels- these are in 2 Roz boxes- a few were left out- hope you can see the fantastic pinks and blues!

Khadres
06-06-2005, 02:41 PM
Yep, they look cool! I can see you've USED some of 'em already, too! Woooeeee!!! Nice layout!

prettytulips
11-16-2005, 11:33 PM
i've been thrilled with my greg b. sets of mt. visions. i love that they have that dry, scritchy feel. (its that a word? is now!) and painting with the sides, great fun!

has anyone heard of the lightfastness of visions?? i hope its good, cuz i plan to make my next purchase that brand if the rating is good. i sure do love that when i buy a stick of it, you really have something to hold, literally! kinda makes it easier to just start painting, instead of dabbing tiny spots, trying not to 'waste' it. go ahead and paint!

i've done a light test myself this winter--i used acid free white bristol, and several colors of each brand pastel i have, taped a hunk of mat over half of the mark, and taped the sheet to the window. so far, the only one that's changed is nupastel. fun to try.

What do you mean by dry scritchy feel? That is the feel I get with girault at times and WN. When you use them is there alot of dust afterwards? Sometimes with my Giraults they get very dusty on Art Spectrum paper. I'm looking at a 'work horse' line and was considering Rembrandt because they do good for that and don't crumble, but then saw Mt. Vision are larger. If you had the choice between Mt. Vision and Rembrandt, which one would you choose for the 'work horse' pastel set?

Thanks!

HarvestMoon
11-17-2005, 11:23 AM
Hi- I had a set of Rembrants and gave them to a 13 year old who wanted to try pastels- same thing with my Winsor and Newtons- to me they were just too hard and with paper (this was before I discovered sanded paper) I had to WORK to get the color off the stick. The Mt. Visions are nearly the size of med. unisons- they have a slightly less soft texture- to me they are similar in texture to giraults- I like the giraults for very fine detail and the mount visions for everything else. I have tried about all the pastels- I like the GA's and Ludwigs a lot too- BUT my all time favorite workhorse I would have to say is the Mount Visions. They are vastly less expensive too than the Unisons, and I like them better. They do not seem to me to be as dusty as the GA's, Ludwigs, or Unisons. BlockX seems to have low dust but for some reason I just don't 'love' them...I LOVE the mount visions. Perhaps love is blind LOL, but I think if I had to pick just ONE brand of pastel- today at least it would be mount vision....

Khadres
11-17-2005, 11:26 AM
If you want less dust...and more economy...go with the Rembrandts. They are a tried and true "workhorse" well-known for reliability, if not softness.

If you want creamy softness, go with the Mt. Visions. Both brands have a good array of colors.

If it were me, I'd order a few sticks of both brands open stock and try 'em out before investing too heavily.

2tcreative
11-17-2005, 03:35 PM
not sure anyone is still subscribed to this thread but if you want to know the lightfastness of the Mt. Visions just go to his color chart, click on the color group and the next page gives the pigment information.

A good source for decoding this information is found on Handprint.com. Check the following links out:

labeling, lightfastness & toxicity (http://www.handprint.com/HP/WCL/pigmt6.html)

paint ingredient information (http://www.handprint.com/HP/WCL/pigmt6.html)

HarvestMoon
11-18-2005, 11:30 AM
I love the pigment info he puts down for the pastels- I notice he is starting to make watercolors too- I tried the mount visions laid down on wallis, then put a wet brush to them and made a wonderful wash out of it....

I have read the watercolor info on the handprint.com site a LOT, and there is some good info- but the Enneagram on that site is downright mean!