PDA

View Full Version : Pastel Journal - worth it?

soap
04-26-2005, 09:23 AM
Hi
I browsed around on the Pastel Journal website and was wondering if it is worth subscribing to it, even though I am in the UK. It's $37 for a year (6 issues) but I have never seen a Pastel Journal so am not sure if that is worth it! Is it a magazine with 5 pages, or a proper thick informative magazine? Any idea where I can buy a shedload of old ones (the site sells old issues but the postage is $4 per magazine and that does not go down if you buy more)?
What are your opinions on the Pastel Journal? I already subscribe to International Artist Magazine and think that is a pretty good magazine.

Opinions welcome!

Soapy

ArtsiePhartsie
04-26-2005, 09:32 AM
DEFINATELY worth it....without a doubt. I look so forward to getting my new issue in the mail every other month!!! I'm just running out of a 2 yr subscription and I'm taking out a new one right away. I love it! You won't be disappointed, guaranteed!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

By the way...it IS a FULL magazine, lots of great articles, pictures and info!

~Artsie

Paula Ford
04-26-2005, 10:03 AM
Yup, it's worth it, but I get my subscriptions on Ebay, believe it or not, for about $15.00/year.

Paula

Paula Ford
04-26-2005, 10:06 AM
Try this

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=29256&item=3596915459&rd=1&ssPageName=WD1V

Oh, that is for the US. There is probably one for outside of US also.

HarvestMoon
04-26-2005, 10:22 AM
Their web site does not have much on it- but the magazine is GREAT. If you can find one on newstands at a local bookstore or something, take a look! Their latest issue had their contest prize winners- it was something else!!!

Kristrotter
04-26-2005, 10:54 AM
Yes it is worth it!! It has a lot of valuable info., and you get to see other artist's works, they have an annual competition you can enter and the quality of the magazine is tops!! Usually the artists will talk about how they go about their paintings and when and how they got started and so forth. I, too wait impatiently for each upcoming issue. I read it front to back. You won't regret it.

soap
04-26-2005, 11:24 AM
Thanks all - sounds promising....

If you can find one on newstands at a local bookstore or something, take a look!

That's just it: I am in the UK and it is not available here, nor do we have a pastel magazine....

S

E-J
04-26-2005, 01:20 PM
Hi Sophie. I bought a single back issue of PJ via their website to see if I liked it, and then decided to subscribe. I now have a whole pile of them which I could show you, but unfortunately, though I will be in Manchester next Friday, it's only going to be for 8 minutes as I attempt to catch a connecting train!! :D I would suggest you order a single copy, if they're still offering this option.

soap
04-26-2005, 01:46 PM
Good idea! Will do! Thanks EJ

khourianya
04-27-2005, 12:42 AM
Pastel Journal is quite worth it. I have purchased every issue since I took up pastels and have never been disappointed. My only peeve is that it is only 6 issues a year. :D I would love it to go monthly!

I would subscribe, except I am pretty sure that I must have ticked off my postman in a former life and he is getting revenge by neglecting to deliver my mail!!!

Kathryn Wilson
04-27-2005, 09:16 AM
I second E-J's suggestion - buy a copy of this latest issue (Competition issue) - and see what you think of it. You can try to get back issues on Ebay, but they don't come up that often.

Our dee_artist is one of the regular contributors, all the articles are informative and well written. My only beef has been the photos since the magazine was taken over by another publisher - they have tended to be darker than I like in the past, but this latest issue seems to have better photos so they may have solved the problem, or gone on to another printer.

soap
04-27-2005, 09:19 AM
Thanks! I just ordered the June 2004 one - thanks for all your help!