PDA

View Full Version : Fixing Underdrawing

teangna
04-25-2005, 03:48 PM
Hi

I've been lurking here for over a year. Thanks to all of you for all the information and tips.

I just got my Pastel Journal and was reading the article on Anthony Petchkis. The article states that after he lays down the horizon, tree line and land features in charcoal, he fixes it with Krylon workable fixative. What is the benefit of fixing an underdrawing? Can one fix an underdrawing in pastel? Any difference? Can you fix an watercolour underpainting?

Teangna :wave:

Bringer
04-25-2005, 05:21 PM
Hi,

I'm new to pastels, but I know that using fixative between coats is used so that the other stick does not move the pigment, especially if it's not a softer one. The colours won't mix so easy. This is one reason. Another can be just for holding pastel before the last layer which can be fixed or not.
I'm sure someone else will give you a more complete answer, these are just basic things.

Regards,

Bringer

teangna
04-26-2005, 03:52 PM
Hi Bringer,

Thanks for responding. I know about fixing layers of pastel in building up the picture and to add tooth. My only other question now would be why fix a line underdrawing when one is going to just block in all the major shapes over it immediately. I do understand that one would preserve a complete underdrawing in charcoal or pastel to establish the values.

Thanks again, Teangna