PDA

View Full Version : Flag&Eagle - Scratchboard

WaitingforJesus
04-24-2005, 11:44 AM
Hello everyone,

I have finished another scratchboard pic of this eagle and flag.
Any areas that don't look right. Let me know.

Thanks!
Kay

Lynn Quinn
04-24-2005, 10:42 PM
Wow, Kay! Your eagle really has that intense eagle expression, and your fabric on the flag looks very real. Great job! I've never used scratchboard, but I've seen some wonderful pictures done on it. Right now I'd be afraid to mess it up. Is it very forgiving if you want to make any changes?
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Lynn
P.S. Have you chacked out the Inspirational Art forum? Some neat stuff there sometimes!

WaitingforJesus
04-24-2005, 10:47 PM
Thanks Lynn for your gracious reply...
As for as this being "forgiving" Nope not at all.
Once you scratch an area you can't change it.
That is why when you start on an area you go very very lightly and build it up.

Thanks again!
Kay
And yes, I have visited the inspirational forum. Great work done by some wonderful people.

antgeek
04-25-2005, 10:54 AM
beautifully done. thanks for showing us! :clap:

lensman
04-25-2005, 12:49 PM
Excellent work. I would be hesitant to do something like that in pencil where mistakes can be corrected. Absolutely could not work in any medium that didn't allow corrections :D

Glenn

Penny220
04-26-2005, 06:57 AM
Ampersand sells claybord inks and in them is the black that can be used to "fix" scratchbord. You can use india ink as well but be sure that the black matches the original black of the board.

I can feel the satin of the flag along with it seams. I'd like you to take a second look at your eagle reference. You are very close and with a little more tweaking you can call this done and what a fantastic one it is.

WaitingforJesus
04-26-2005, 07:39 AM
Thank you all for your comments

Yes Penny you are correct in that they sell the ink to correct the mistakes.
I apologise for that.

Penny, thank you for your comments.
Can you be more specific about the eagle? Is it the feathers themselves that you are refering to?

Thanks
Kay

Penny220
04-26-2005, 07:56 AM
primarily it's in the lighting of the neck area. Your head is 3 dimensional but the neck appears more 2 dimensional.

Normally when the eagle puffs up like this the feathers on the crown puff up too, this can be done simply by working the area a bit more but please check your reference first. There are so many poses an eagle can take that your head could be dead on.

It's easy to get caught up on details so you miss the overall picture. I have this problem allot and have learned to step away from my paintings as far as I can and then walk back into them. I have to give myself a break before I do this so I can see it clearly (not a vision thing but to re-adjust HOW I look at it).

This being said, eagles I have painted, scratchbord I have done but I doubt that I could not do what you did with an eagle on scratchbord. What's most impressive is that you recently started doing scratchbord and look at what you are able to do with it.

I hope you plan on showing this one somewhere this summer. A July 4th art show would be most appropriate.

myorca
04-29-2005, 08:28 PM
Kay,

With each one of these you do, they get 100% better each time. You are doing a remarkable job!

Bob