PDA

View Full Version : Fa la la la la...Santa Ornament

diane555
12-20-2001, 11:01 AM
Merry Christmas to you all!

I have made an ornament for my son each Christmas for 15 years. This year I decided to start a Santa series with this guy. Have to get the mold done today and cast it tomorrow I hope!!! It's about 6" tall. Don't know why I always insist on making things more difficult for myself.....Re: the hole in his beard! Guess I must be a challenge addict!

Have a great day!
Di :)
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Dec-2001/santa2bb.jpg

MKathleen
12-20-2001, 02:46 PM
Hi Di:

After finishing my reply to your post I wanted to go find some of your work in this form. Your santa looks wonderful very old world in appearence. After you fire it will you leave the natural color or will you color glaze it?
I think you have a really neat idea about a yearly ornament for your son. I buy keepsake ornaments for my granddaughter's, but making them would be even more special.

Will you show your piece when it's finished I'd love to see it...

Best,
Kathy:D

jackddavis
12-20-2001, 02:55 PM
Hey! I like that. I'd sure like to know more about this casting process. How do you make the mold? Then what do you fill the mold with? I've done some sand casting, but I don't think this is what you're doing. ;) Do you fire the clay first?

max nelson
12-20-2001, 06:56 PM
Di..one word..TERIFFIC!!! And yea, you did make it tough on yourself with that hole, but it adds so much to the piece. BTW is this plastilene and do you make molds so you can make multiple units or because you don't have access to a kiln? This piece deserves multiple (the others probably do to) but making a mold if that is not your intentions seems like...well..(can't say it on the air):D And please post the mold when done so we can see how you handled the hole problem. I can't figure it out yet.
Max:clap:

Yielding
12-22-2001, 10:31 AM
Really like the idea Di - lets see it when you get done. Will it be done before Christmas?

diane555
12-31-2001, 11:20 AM
Hello all

Thanks for all the comments. Sorry I haven't replied sooner but I was too ill to be on the computer. In fact I wasn't able to finish this for Christmas. I did, however, get the mold made. I used a thick rubber and did it in two parts. It looks as though it will work fine. I still intend to finish this piece, although Santa has returned to the great white north by now LOL. I have a couple more Santa designs to go with this one.

In reply to your question Max: I don't have access to a kiln, yet. I intend to look for someone locally or maybe try the colleges. I don't want to purchase one right now. Tooooo much money. But, I seem to enjoy the whole mold process, for some insane reason. I do plan to make multiples of this one.

Probably try using Ultracal in in it. It is kind of like 'super plaster', for those not familiar with it. My original intent was to cast in Ultracal then finish with silver leafing over a dark base coat. I'll post when I get it finished.

Happy New Year to you all!
Di :)