PDA

View Full Version : Sisters

marsva
04-24-2005, 06:41 AM
Oil on canva 10"x15"
I'm really excited about this painting...it actually feels like I know what I am doing!! LOL
The first attachment is a picture of two sisters, friends of mine enjoying a day at the river.
Also attached are three stages of the painting... the sketch on canvas with a wash of Daveys Gray started on the background, which I also added some sap green and ultramarine blue to in some areas. The wash in the foreground ended up being White/ Raw Umber/ Burnt Sienna/ Yellow Ochre. The foilage on the trees is sap green, yellow ochre, yellow, and whatever else I smeared my brush through that was on my palet. :D
The third picture, I have added skin tones using White... I cheat, and used flesh color, but added burnt sienna and paynes gray for shadowed areas.
This painting is moving along really fast, I hope it was okay to post so many pictures at a time with it.

Please feel free to critique

Thanks! :wave:

laketrees
04-24-2005, 10:30 AM
Hi Marsva....Wow...you have moved along quickly.....the figures look very relaxed in their setting...a lovely backdrop...and interesting composition....
cheers kim

marsva
04-24-2005, 10:38 AM
Thanks Kim, it was a very relaxed day at the river, we are very good friends...if you look at the photo really close you might be able to see a hidden beer bottle or two LOL so they should look relaxed!! :D

laketrees
04-24-2005, 08:10 PM
Hi Marsva....and I thought they were water bottles..lol....quite a lot of fine detail to paint in there...happy painting...
cheers kim

Marysa
04-25-2005, 12:53 AM
This is going to be wonderful. Can't wait to see it finished. :clap: :clap:

marsva
04-25-2005, 09:17 AM
I think it's finished! Is it??? LOL
This is the first oil painting I have done with no sharp edges. And it was so fast, I enjoyed working with the oil paint tacky to keep the edges soft, so I couldn't just walk away and let it dry. I had to paint, paint, paint...forget the laundry and cooking and cleaning! A wonderful weekend and my sweet husband was so good about being ignored!! :D
I also attached the sneakers... just because they worked out so well with so little detail.
And if you look really really close you might be able to tell these two sisters each have a beer in hand! LOL

Anything else you think I should do to this painting??
Thanks!
Marsha aka marsva

Marysa
04-25-2005, 12:18 PM
Marsva, I love it. Reminds me of my sister-in-law and me at Lake Almanor in California. We call it "the happy place". ;)

You did a great job. :clap: :clap:

Nitsa
04-28-2005, 03:23 PM
Marsva I am so pleased you let me know about this post.
I love what you did with it, you've achieved such a layed back feel within the painting and setting, the bodies look at ease, comfortable and the lighting is wonderful.
Great piece!!! :clap:

Artistanne
04-29-2005, 06:33 PM
And if you look really really close you might be able to tell these two sisters each have a beer in hand! LOL

Marsha aka marsva

I have a beer in hand right now! LOL :D (it's Friday night and I'm DONE for today with that white laundry!)

This looks great. I love the way the leaves shimmer in the light, and the lounge chair just screams "summer!". Great job on the sneakers. Your friends are going to love it. :wave:

Theresa1021
04-30-2005, 03:41 PM
Great work,love everything about it!

marsva
04-30-2005, 07:18 PM
Oh what a nice complement!! I really loved painting this. I have never felt so satisfied while doing one, or with the finished painting. I am so glad that it gets the spirit of the moment accross so well.
I went out and bought some small canvases today...maybe "smaller" is the secret!!! :D I think really..I just discovered the secrets of soft edges and less detail!! :clap:

LisaArt
05-03-2005, 05:02 AM
Hi Marsva, Super work. :clap: