PDA

View Full Version : circus girls

mame
12-19-2001, 10:54 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Dec-2001/circus_girls.JPG

colorme
12-19-2001, 10:58 PM
mame wow, when i first saw this for a moment it looked like the circus girls where being hung (like the witches in salem)..i got scared for a moment..sigh, another excellent painting. , i love this mame. :)

mame
12-19-2001, 11:05 PM
Doesn't come through very well, but the upper right figure is being held around upper chest - not the neck! Txs for looking, colorme.

ZOTMA
12-19-2001, 11:37 PM
suspension
though there's support offered
seemingly casually
one foot on, one foot off
arm extended to shoulder
small child seems to shoulder too
a case of the young keeping the old uplifted
assisting bear the structure they hang from
possibly
harpys head cocked in complacency
yo yo passing the time

rich in texture, color, lines (compositions always satisfying)

mame
12-20-2001, 07:38 AM
Hey Zotma. Does this stuff just spurt out off the top of your head? Appreciate and admire your "verbal" art.

You ARE keeping a record of your written renderings, aren't you? I've always wanted to do a collaboration of paintings and text with a writer. Maybe someday............

VictoriaS
12-20-2001, 12:34 PM
Mame, this is fabulous. Is the background gold leaf? Someday I'm gonna ask you questions about using gold leaf; you have inspired me to want to try it.

Victoria

artlover
12-20-2001, 02:53 PM
Love the "amberwarmness" of this. Also the feeling of waiting, suspended-the figure on the left, grown weary of all this inaction, tries quietly to sneak away...

mame
12-20-2001, 04:43 PM
Tx folks

Victoria - I'm no pro at goldleaf (this one is not). I pretty much just mess around with it, but I do have a few tricks......whenever you're ready.

I'm on an amber shellac kick right now. Varnish all my acrylic works with it. Gives it that yellowish/goldish look

VictoriaS
12-20-2001, 05:34 PM
Well, I'm gettin' me some of that, because your paintings always look good. Thanks for the tip

And one more question (for the time being): Do you use a very limited palette?

Victoria

MKathleen
12-20-2001, 06:17 PM
Hi:

This is such an interesting painting I just want to keep looking at it. The golden color is outstanding may I ask what you used?
Nice Work!

Best,
Kathy:)

mame
12-20-2001, 06:35 PM
Hey Victoria. Actually, thinking about it, I use several colors but have been working primarily in green/red mixed complimentaries.

I rarely use "pure" color - only sparingly for hits or aha's here and there or to move the viewer's eye around i.e., cad red, cad yellow, for example. I do a lot of glazing, sometimes three and four layers of alternating complimentaries, or layers of yellow, green, blue. All colors are "personal" mixes. I like paintings - my own and others- in which I can't "name" the color, i.e. out of the tube.

Have just recently started experimenting with "pulling" yellows/ochres out. My primary concern/interest/study right now is value and tonal relationships. I slip and fall alot but learning.......

McKathleen - I think the key is I would say my paintings are tonal (trying at least) plus lots of glazing. I then varnish with amber shellac which acts as a final "glaze" and ties things all together for cohesiveness.

Forgive me, but I'm not a very good talker.
Txs for your interest.

Ginette
12-21-2001, 12:43 AM
Beautiful Painting. I was curious about how you always achieve that yellow tone. Now I know.

On a different note:

My chiropractor in Germany used to hang me from one of those things.
It did a world of good to my neck & shoulders.

Ginette

mame
12-21-2001, 07:29 AM
Ginette - see? I paint realism and didn't even know it.

re shellac - ya gotta really like a high gloss finish. Some people prefer more flat/matte. There are a number of mediums on the market that are less glossy and mixed with pigment can give a similar effect. Experiment.

ZOTMA
12-21-2001, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by mame
Hey Zotma. Does this stuff just spurt out off the top of your head? Appreciate and admire your "verbal" art.

You ARE keeping a record of your written renderings, aren't you? I've always wanted to do a collaboration of paintings and text with a writer. Maybe someday............

spurts, yes
when I look at art its kind of a kneejerk reaction
thanks
eh record? no. should?
Paint and text sounds good, I've always found that sort of thing interesting when presented at a show or in a book.

mame
12-21-2001, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by ZOTMA

spurts, yes
when I look at art its kind of a kneejerk reaction
thanks
eh record? no. should?
Paint and text sounds good, I've always found that sort of thing interesting when presented at a show or in a book.

kneejerk is my favorite kind. You better be keeping a record of your writings, young lady!