PDA

View Full Version : Question for portraits

Kristrotter
04-22-2005, 10:42 AM
I was just curious as to how many of you who paint portraits start out by drawing directly on your pastel surface, or do you draw on paper first to get it right, and then transfer it to the pastel surface?

bnoonan
04-22-2005, 11:41 AM
I was just curious as to how many of you who paint portraits start out by drawing directly on your pastel surface, or do you draw on paper first to get it right, and then transfer it to the pastel surface?

Good question.

I typically work with live models so I'm restricted in how much time and $ I'm willing to pay them for sitting more than once.

However... when working with a photograph, I typicall draw the portrait in graphite on my drawing pad to get a feel for where the shapes of the face and lines are located. I want to see what is ahead of me and believe it or not at that time I'm absorbing color sense of what's ahead. I also find myself talking to them a bit. (ok don't tell anyone)

Now... for the painting... I draw it directly onto the surface I am painting and I spend the greatest amount of time on this getting the drawing correct. I don't hesitate spending up to 3 hours at a time to make sure it's accurate. Chasing my mistakes in measurement takes more time in the end so this is well worth the time and care.

Personally, I never transfer the artwork - I've been doing portraits a long time and I find the practice drawing lets me be more assured of the direct application. (Oh I do have an eraser as well)

Next is the paint - but you know that already!!!

Barb

soap
04-22-2005, 01:31 PM
I always tell myself I should sketch first to get a feel for the face....but I don't like doing those studies...and I am impatient....so I usually dive straight in....directly with my pastels on my pastel paper....thankfully I can correct as I go along as pastel paper takes a lot of layers. I would hate watercolour paints as it is much harder to correct yourself! On my pastel paper/card I endlessly search and try and correct - I put layer over layer, I adjust lines and shapes, colours and shades. Until it is right. It is a fun discovery tour.
So - no drawing for me.

Kristrotter
04-22-2005, 10:26 PM
Barb and Soap, thank you for your replies. :wave: I have never done a portait in pastels and I would like to start. Just wondering how some of you guys start out. I am not much for a lot of prep work, for me it makes it more like work than fun. Thank goodness pastels are a forgiving medium!!

bnoonan
04-23-2005, 11:26 AM
Ironically, more and more I'm enjoying the sketches as much as the paintings. I think it's valuable to keep my skills up and also it helps me "visit" with the subject before diving in completely.

Sophie - give it another go - of course your time is a bit more limited than mine.

Cute baby my friend.

kris - go for it and you'll love it! It's going to take a few (potentially) before you get the hang of it.

Cheers! Barb

soap
04-23-2005, 05:12 PM
At the moment I am actually working on some pencil baby portraits and who knows, I might get the hang of it and do some before I start a pastel portrait. I know it helps to make sketches, as the more I try the same portrait the better it gets (which always makes me wonder when to stop), but usually I cannot be bothered....:D :D
Thanks Barb!

Kris - just try what you like - sketch or not - go straight for it or not - whatever suits you best....LOL....

Kristrotter
04-23-2005, 09:52 PM
Barb and Sophie, thank you again for your input. I am a big fan of both your work. I always check in on your threads Barb, and I checked out your website Sophie. Both of you do awesome work!!