PDA

View Full Version : Permalba

llis
12-19-2001, 08:52 PM
Permalba is a white paint that feels a little more fluid than the titanium white oil paint that I've been using. I'm assuming that you use it for mixing...but it could be that permalba is just another white paint and some just like the feel of it better than other whites. Any thoughts?

TPS
12-20-2001, 07:04 PM
Permalba is a brand name of white paint, who's exact content is kept secret by the makers. However, it is generally understood to be a combination of titanium white and zinc white. Many claim this combination is preferable, and comes close to the properties and look of flake (lead) white. Zinc white is more transparent and generally less dense, which would explain the feel of the paint. Most paint makers have this combination available.

llis
12-20-2001, 08:27 PM
Thanks so much TPS... Now that makes choosing a lot easier.

Michael2
01-01-2002, 11:05 AM
Yuck, I hate Permalba White, it comes out of the tube all mushy and oily. There's more oil in there than paint.

Now Grumbacher makes a great titanium white, it comes out super stiff and dry. Solid. I love the stuff.

Patrick1
01-01-2002, 11:45 AM
Michael, are you talking about Pre-Tested? I want to try this line of oils; I want thick, dry paint.

Michael2
01-01-2002, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by Domer
Michael, are you talking about Pre-Tested? I want to try this line of oils; I want thick, dry paint.

The other colors in Grumbacher's pre-tested line are average. Not the thickest, but not the thinnest. I like them and I think they are good quality paints and don't get as much credit as they deserve.

But the Grumbacher Original Formula Titanium White.. that's THICK. (They came out with a new softer formula for those who thought the original formula was too thick.)