PDA

View Full Version : Heat Fixable Pastels!

Kathryn Wilson
04-21-2005, 08:48 PM
I just received my Pastel Journal and read the article on Heat Fixable pastels by Butch Krieger - it sounds very interesting and may be a great option to worrying about using fixative. "ChromaCoal" is water soluble until it is set. You can fix each layer if you want, then proceed to put on another layer without disturbing layers underneath. The only company that makes them is D'UVA - they make sticks and powder too.

I was wondering if anyone has used them and what your impressions were.
----------
Wonderful articles and columns by Deborah and Maggie Price. I like the suggestion by Deborah about thinking of your paper as a window on the world.

Deborah Secor
04-21-2005, 10:46 PM
<grumble> I don't have that issue yet! <mumble...advance copies?...what advancecopies...>

I had some of that chromacoal and it wasn't like any kind of pastel or even charcoal I ever tried. Nasty hard stuff, as far as I'm concerned. I tossed it! I never even tried to 'heat set' it cause what it made was not worth setting! Sooooo....I dunno.

I said that? Wow--sounds good, huh? :) Um...what article is that in? (They have us wrting these so far in advance I can't keep track!)

Deborah

Kathryn Wilson
04-21-2005, 10:56 PM
LOL - "A Window on Your Imagination" - with a wonderful photo of your California Skyline (delicious colors).

BTW - have you ever done a landscape without the sky? I am working on a comp that is telling me to leave the sky out, yet I can't recall seeing a landscape without some sky in it. I am sure there are, but does not the sky set the tone for the whole painting? Or maybe I mean lighting. I am sure you will tell me - :evil:

Deborah Secor
04-22-2005, 12:39 PM
The sky is key to the landscape because it determines so much about it--quantity and quality of light, color unity and contrast, little things like that. But that doesn't mean you see it in every painting. You just see its effect! Does that answer you???

Deborah

Kathryn Wilson
04-22-2005, 01:10 PM
Yes, I am well into the first part of the painting and I am seeing the light of the sky in the water, in the sunlight on the rocks and building, even though the sky is totally out of the painting.

Thanks Dee!