PDA

View Full Version : New Woodcut

woodguy
04-20-2005, 09:46 PM
Finished this one a couple of days ago and last night found the right combination of Mars Black (oil paint), linseed oil and turps to get a good print. I also grabbed an old pipe tobacco tin that had a concave lid on it and used it as a baren! It worked great...better than my wooden spoon! I appreciate your thoughts. Jim (Image size is about 5" x 6")

Printmakerguy
04-20-2005, 11:36 PM
Another great print.

I like your use of light and shadow- Woodcuts lend themselves to this well.... Looks like you are getting the inking down well, especially considering you are making your own from oil paints!!

Perhaps you should reconsider your artistic directions- Perhaps you are actually a printmaker in hiding!!

-Andrew

Diane Cutter
04-21-2005, 07:32 AM
This is lovely... It has good composition and I like the little vertical bits of ink that are on the upper sky edge... I think that leaving those kinds of lines in work sometimes quite well. You've also got a good grip on the use of black and white areas, playing off each other to make your shapes.

Very creative on the inking process. I'd still like to see you use 'real' ink since I think, over time, the oiliness of the oil paints will make your paper look greasy around the ink edges (but I might be wrong... )....

Being super critical here (all part of the learning process), your inking is a little spotty. Ideally it should look very uniform in the dark areas... but that comes with practice...

What kind of paper are you using?

Diane

H2O_Baby
04-30-2005, 08:48 AM
This is lovely... It has good composition and I like the little vertical bits of ink that are on the upper sky edge... I think that leaving those kinds of lines in work sometimes quite well.
Diane

Ditto about the lovely, wood guy. Nice graphic rendition.

Diane, Andrew, Ari or one of the other relief gurus, how does one eliminate those types of lines when dealing with a large negative space? I can't ever seem to rid myself of those when I want to. Perhaps my brayer is too short and too soft?

Thanks in advance for the info