PDA

View Full Version : Existence

MKathleen
12-19-2001, 01:47 PM
This is an example of the type of non objective/abstract watermedia work I like to do from time to time. Mainly to get away or take a brake from my realistic style of painting.

Medium: Watercolor with a small amount of collage

Comments Welcome

Best,
Kathy

I also have this painting on the Watercolor Forum...

colorme
12-19-2001, 02:29 PM
yes it is good to get away or take a brake from the realistic style of painting. I like this a lot.

MKathleen
12-19-2001, 03:06 PM
Hi colorme:

Thank you for taking a look and commenting on my painting.
I seem to go though phases not being totally resolved to one type of technique/medium. Seeming always not to get comfortable with one way of working with paint.

Best,
Kathy:)

Tony Perrotta
12-19-2001, 03:31 PM
Hi Kathy, I like this alot. I am trying to do some work like that with watercolors too. Since realistic Wc's are not for me. Can you please explain a little of the methods used.

Thaks Tony

canvasishome
12-19-2001, 05:27 PM
Hi Kathy,

No matter which forum you choose, this still comes out to be a great work!

Me like it!! I'd also appreciate a little description of how you executed this technique. My washes alway tend to bleed into one another and look funny.

Thanks. All the best.

-dk-

MKathleen
12-19-2001, 06:01 PM
Hi canvasishome & Tony:

Thank you both for taking the time to look and comment on my painting. I hope you don't mind but I took the lazy route and copy and pasted the instruction for my technique from the Watercolor Forum...

Decide on what colors you want to use for your non-objective painting. I have found that a limited palette works best least chance of making mud. I would recommend you start with the primary colors for your first one. Then add more colors as you create each additional painting.

Additional thoughts: A four color combination works really well.

(1.) Choose your favorite type watercolor paper wet and stretch it and let it dry. (300lb cold press rough works best)
(2.) Take your spritzer bottle and re-wet your paper as you would if you were doing wet in wet method.
(3.) Start laying lightest colors first and let them mingle together and run. Let dry
(4.) At this point you should start to see some type of pattern or design. It may resemble a landscape, animal, figure or just a neat color arrangement. Don't worry if you don't see anything at this point.
(5.) Rewet start laying in more color only less water and more pigment. Again letting your colors mingle together and run (tilting your board in different directions). Throw on some salt in areas where you think it might make an interesting pattern. Let Dry
Repeat steps 3 and 4 until you get the desired effect your looking for.
Drips, splatters, salt, alcohol, tape, collage and/or whatever you can think of you like to see.

Happy to answer or help with any questions...

Best,
Kathy

mjkohler
12-22-2001, 01:00 AM
:clap: Kathleen this is beautiful.

When looking at it I was pondering whether one of those fine white lines should change direction so that it wasn't going out at the bottom. I havn't decided. :) mjk

MKathleen
12-22-2001, 01:49 AM
Hi mjk:

Thank you for your compliment and your comment about the white lines. They are actually cloth strings and I have thought the same thing myself. At one point I was going to paint over sections of them to brake the line. Now with your comment I think I probably should have.
I will definately keep that in mind for the next one as this one is matted and framed.

Best,
Kathy

onefromheaven
02-20-2002, 08:47 PM
Kathy, :clap: :clap: I love this painting!!! you are so multi talented I saw the saguaro too and loved it as well. What I like most about this is... everything! I was searching old threads to see where the sculptors were coming from and it brought me here. Great work:)

cagathoc
02-21-2002, 09:57 AM
:clap:

jnet11
02-21-2002, 10:36 AM
reminds me of a rearing horse.
beautiful colors, indeed!

MKathleen
07-01-2002, 02:42 PM
Hi Maggie, Cindy and jnet11:
It does pay to check on your list of started threads from time to time. I just found your posts and realized I hadn't check-back with this forum in a while.
I'm pleased you all liked this one it was fun and always gets my creative juices flowing again.
Best,
Kathy:D

mame
07-01-2002, 03:54 PM
Hot.

TigerLilyArts
07-01-2002, 04:51 PM
Oh my GOD, Kathleen!!!! This is just gorgeous!! I love it to death, seriously, I think it's one of my favorite works I've seen on here! Just everything about it pops out at you, but it still has this beautiful, serene flow to it! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Lisa

bmckamey
07-01-2002, 05:42 PM
this is wonderful!

onefromheaven
07-01-2002, 05:58 PM
I am delighted to see this one pop back up again! :) Your work is always inspirational Kathy!:clap:

surreal
07-01-2002, 07:23 PM
I like it so much!
I like your very unique composition, the forms and the colors.
The colors are divine!
surreal

Sadgylee
07-02-2002, 10:06 AM
This is super. I love it :)

MKathleen
07-02-2002, 12:39 PM
Hi: mame, Lisa, bmckamey, Maggie, surreal and Sadgylee
Thank you I really appreciate you taking the time to look and comment on my painting. I value the thoughts and opinions of my fellow artists (pro and con) who are in the trenches along with me. They know how much or how little time can go into a painting. So when they like your work that's the topping on the cake!
Thank you again. :)
Best,

opaque
07-02-2002, 03:05 PM
I like alot!!!:clap:

MKathleen
07-02-2002, 03:14 PM
Hi opaque:
Thank you, I'm pleased you like my painting.
Best,
PS: I visited your web site and looks like it's coming together. Your paintings all have wonderful directional movement which I like very much. Will took forward to seeing your other pages when you get them completed.
Best,
Kathy

arourapope
07-04-2002, 11:16 PM
Beautiful colors and lots of energy here. Nice work!

MKathleen
07-05-2002, 07:01 PM
Hi aurorapope:
Thank you, I was lucky it was one of those paintings that just came together for me.
Best,