PDA

View Full Version : Finally finished bat mitzvah gift

Ari Sutton
04-19-2005, 10:54 AM
Hi everyone,

I finished this woodcut today. I posted the reference drawing for it a couple of months ago. It is 8.5 x 11 inches on Strathmore petal inclusion paper. The ink is speedball oil based ink. It is a mixture of about 3 parts red, 1 part brown and one part white. Critiques welcomed.

Ari

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Apr-2005/29596-hannahlowres.jpg

Printmakerguy
04-19-2005, 12:18 PM
I like this print. I remember the drawing WAY back...

Great use of textures- Especially in the shirt.

I also really like the color- a nice red- Warm, but not overpowering.

This will make an excellent gift, for sure! Art is always a great thing to give, as it is so personal, yet it is something that she will keep her entire life... Great job on this one! :clap:

-Andrew

Ari Sutton
04-19-2005, 03:15 PM
Thanks Andrew. I wanted the texture of the shirt to be different from the rest of the composition, so I used my dremel there. The rest of the image was cut with the traditional tools. I think it was successful.

Ari

zardoz
04-19-2005, 06:27 PM
nice cutting Ari . I like how you managed to get the age right .it looks like a young girl something thats often hard to do .I also like the way you've handled the background ( an oversized easy chair?)and the shadows . the color is good but I would like to see it with just a little more of a brown shade .good print

Ari Sutton
04-19-2005, 08:01 PM
Zardoz,

Thank you. The background is actually drapery. The scan came more red than the actual image. The original is definitely more brown.

Ari

Diane Cutter
04-22-2005, 05:35 PM
Nice, Ari... Like Z says, you've done a good job of capturing the youth of this girl... I like the uneven, droopy eyes. There is a humor lurking there... Also I like all your cuts, showing a lot of energy...

Diane

Ari Sutton
04-22-2005, 05:54 PM
Thanks Diane. I really enjoyed cutting this one. Used a lot of different kinds of cuts.

Ari

H2O_Baby
04-22-2005, 06:00 PM
Ari, I also like the pattern of the fabric & the texture of the hair. I think you have Charissa's texture challenge down!

sassybird
04-22-2005, 06:18 PM
Yep, you definitiely met the challenge:D She is going to love this, Ari. What a special gift for a special time in her life.

Ari Sutton
04-22-2005, 07:04 PM
Thanks B, Charrissa. :)

ari

Sunfilly
04-23-2005, 03:29 PM
The picture came out great Ari, I love the youthful look and her expression is great. I envy people who can do portraits, I'm very bad at it.

Ari Sutton
04-23-2005, 04:51 PM
Thank you. I think that portraits are of two different kinds. There are some portraitists who work in a photorealistic way. They are technically precise and capture the image of the person. The other kind of portrait, the kind I see my work, strives to capture the inner person. My portraits aren't always photorealistic. The strokes aren't precise. Rather, my subjects are recognizable because something about their personality shows through. In this style, I think anyone can do portraits.

Ari

06-08-2012, 01:42 AM
Hi everyone,

I finished this woodcut today. I posted the reference drawing for it a couple of months ago. It is 8.5 x 11 inches on Strathmore petal inclusion paper. The ink is speedball oil based ink. It is a mixture of about 3 parts red, 1 part brown and one part white. Critiques welcomed.

Ari

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Apr-2005/29596-hannahlowres.jpg

It's a very nice bat mitzvah gift Are you going to update it.:clap:

kzengineer
06-09-2012, 09:27 AM
I love the livelyness in the eyes!