PDA

View Full Version : Weekly Pastel Sketches, 18-24 April '05

E-J
04-18-2005, 06:30 AM
Are you a newbie, a pro - or somewhere in between? Using soft or hard pastels, oil pastels, pastel pencils, charcoal or chalks? All are welcome here for another lively week of pastel sketching!

The idea is to fit some pastelling into our busy lives by completing a sketch in one hour or less. You can work from life or from a photo - it's up to you. It's a good idea to time your sketch, keeping it within 30, 45 or 60 minutes. Set a timer, get pastelling and when your time is up, STOP - and share your efforts with us here!

It's a fun way to sharpen your observational skills, try out new pastel techniques or keep your hand in when you don't have time to work on a more considered piece.

Take a look at last week's sketches for inspiration:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=263788

Happy pastelling!

Bill Foehringer
04-19-2005, 01:20 AM
OK, EJ I'll be first. I did this at lunch today. Left the office at 1205 and returned at0120, stopped at bank and picked up a sandwich along the way back. I think this took me about 45 on location. Forgot my camera but remembered to do a thumbnail, hurray! Pastel 7x5 on Wallis. BillF

E-J
04-19-2005, 05:24 AM
Bill, this is terrific! Seems you're quite spoilt for lovely scenery near where you work. Do tell us if and how the thumbnail helped you!

Khadres
04-19-2005, 09:20 AM
You definitely have a way with the willows! Such a nice, sunny and restful scene. BTW, I'm amazed at how well you're doing with high noon sunlight on all these landscapes! Also, are you finding yourself more refreshed after a lunch like this than you used to be after an ordinary stuffthesandwichandrun lunch hour?

Bill Foehringer
04-19-2005, 10:10 AM
Yes, Sooz. I feel like I'm accomplishing something for me each day. Unfortunately, work is just work, it's not my passion, insurance, blah. But I do like to talk to people and I do this all day over the phone. I'm a problem solver and that's basically what I do: is solve people's insurance problems. Painting at lunch is such a treat. I need to make up some cards because sooner or later the people who see me painting will ask. I notice that just about everybody is curious about what I'm doing. BillF

Bill Foehringer
04-19-2005, 10:18 AM
E-J, Notes on the thumbnail. First of all what I noticed about the thumbnail is that it is good to have the pad and pencil in hand when looking for a painting. As soon as the view 'pops' it's important to put it down right away before other elements begin to confuse the focus. For me, the small scale of my little notebook, about 2x3, prevents me from recording much more than the focal point.
1 The thumbnail forces me to simplify.
2 This simplification is then carried over to the first marks made on the work piece.
3 It is a reminder, laying on my tray, to avoid temptation to expand beyond the initial reaseon for the painting. BillF

E-J
04-20-2005, 05:42 AM
E-J, Notes on the thumbnail. First of all what I noticed about the thumbnail is that it is good to have the pad and pencil in hand when looking for a painting. As soon as the view 'pops' it's important to put it down right away before other elements begin to confuse the focus. For me, the small scale of my little notebook, about 2x3, prevents me from recording much more than the focal point.
1 The thumbnail forces me to simplify.
2 This simplification is then carried over to the first marks made on the work piece.
3 It is a reminder, laying on my tray, to avoid temptation to expand beyond the initial reaseon for the painting. BillF

This is great stuff, Bill - really helpful. You may have just inspired me to buy my own teeny little notepad for this kind of thing. The process of simplifying is so important.

Bill Foehringer
04-20-2005, 10:39 AM
E-J, I have also been trying to put down some notes about the conditions on the day of the painting, direction of view from my painting location, difficulties with a scene, etc. Not all of those for each session but something just to form the habit of note-taking. Squint Squint BillF

Bill Foehringer
04-20-2005, 12:22 PM
Sooz, the yellow greens I have been using for the willows are from sennelier with a light touch for the darker shades and then a pretty hard touch for the the lightest yellow-green dragging down blending with what is below. they make all the difference in the rendering with soft pastels over the harder darker rembrandt background and the girault trunks. BillF

binkie
04-20-2005, 04:02 PM
Bill, I love your willow tree. You work in a very scenic area.

Okay, I'm taking a deep breath and posting "Flipper" boy below. Spent about a 1 1/2 hrs. Haven't finished it; it needs a lot of work and I want to change the outfit from black to ... And I'll only mention his flipper in passing.
Overall, I feel my art is improving and I'm certainly enjoying it.

binkie

Khadres
04-20-2005, 06:51 PM
Neat action pic, binkie! He looks happy up there!

Khadres
04-20-2005, 09:36 PM
OK, the first of my postcards reached TX already, so I'll share it. Sorry it's so darned fuzzy...I musta taken a dozen shots of it and none turned out any better for some reason. Imagine it quite a bit sharper and that sun line on the horizon IS straight! I know cause I had to finally use a ruler! :D 5X7 softies, about 45 minutes, counting the ruler.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Apr-2005/34895-SunsetBeach-SilviaSwitzer.jpg

Bill Foehringer
04-21-2005, 12:18 AM
I love that yellow sun. What stick is that? Unison? All the colors harmonize very well. BillF PS Here's another lunch project, under an hour. The flash made the sky too pink. "Breezy Day" Pastel 7x5 on Wallis Mist.

prestonsega
04-21-2005, 01:50 AM
Bill..your plein air works are really nice...I particularly like "Breezzy Day"

Binkie...you have captured the movement in this dancer's pose.

Sooz...aahhhh...how cool to be on this beach in real life!...so peaceful and pleasant.

Khadres
04-21-2005, 02:20 AM
Bill, I like your Breezy Day over here too! The sun in the sunset is...I THINK...a BlockX one. Can't remember for sure, to tell the truth, but it could also be a Polychromos (hard pastel) cause I had those out too at the time. Probably not a Unison since they were in the drawer. The most scrumptious yellows I have, tho, are the Schminckes.

Thanks for commenting, Preston!

binkie
04-21-2005, 02:42 AM
Thanks Preston. The male dancer is to go with the ballerina I did a few weeks ago.

Sooz, Your ocean scene is lovely and so calming. Oh yeah, I wiped the smile off the dancer's face and worked on his foot tonight. Hope it doesn't look so much like a flipper now. I need to work on feet and hands.

binkie

Khadres
04-22-2005, 01:39 AM
Here's a couple more postcards...just to show I HAVE been busy...lol

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/829/completed/34895/AppStorm-DGrau.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/829/completed/34895/Pinkladies-Ginger.jpg

binkie
04-22-2005, 02:05 AM
Sooz, Your postcards are gorgeous! Is there a story behind them? If you previously posted about them I must have missed it.

binkie

E-J
04-22-2005, 05:06 AM
Sooz, these are such pretty little pieces! So glad you're sharing them.

Bill, another great sketch. I like the strong values in this latest one. Squint squint indeed ... LOL, this should be the pastel sketcher's mantra!

binkie, love flipperboy :) and yes, your work IS improving. That background makes the subject even more dynamic.

Life and work are very busy for me at the moment and I know I'm not going to have the chance to paint for at least another five days. I WILL be checking in late on Sunday, though, to open next week's sketch thread and I know that in the meantime you will all be here sharing your sketches and encouragement. Have a great weekend, all!

Kristrotter
04-22-2005, 10:28 AM
Sooz, I love your postcards. All are beautiful, but the colors in the bottom one are some of my favorite colors and I think the trees are gorgeous. :clap:

What brand of pastels did you use for these?

prestonsega
04-22-2005, 12:27 PM
Sooz..these are great....the golden trees sing against the stormy blu-violet sky! The second postcard speaks "spring" in a soft voice... :clap:

Khadres
04-22-2005, 12:29 PM
Thanks for all y'all's kind comments. Kristie, since these were all so small (done for the Postcard Exchange 2005 project...some GORGEOUS work done by two dozen great folks over there if you get the chance to look..all media), I tended to use my hard pastels alot...Polychromos and NuPastels. The smaller stick size and square format seemed to lend themselves to the mini sizes. Most of my cards were from life sketches done here in Colorado or other folks' great photos in the RIL. The trees (pink ones) are crabapple trees which are actually just beginning to bloom this year. They're usually pretty drab trees, but for a couple weeks each spring they get all dressed up in pinks and hot mauves.

Here's another one I did and although I'm not happy with it particularly, I post it as a cautionary tale...I THINK I managed to rescue it well enough to use, but it has lost a good deal of sparkle due to my attempt to FIX it with fixative spray. Hadn't ever really used fixative much so thought I would give it a go...ACK!...killed almost all the vibrancy and color nuance! Take my word for it...NO FIXATIVE AS A FINAL APPLICATION!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/829/completed/34895/Dusk-Connie.jpg

binkie
04-24-2005, 03:46 PM
EJ, thanks for your comments. I've come to art late in life and just love it.

Sooz, I really like the snow scene postcard. The colors grab me. What a great project.

Preston, thanks, I do appreciate the comments.

:wave: binkie

Paula Ford
04-24-2005, 05:03 PM
Oh Sooz...Love love love your paintings!! All three are just gorgeous!! Paula

prestonsega
04-24-2005, 05:20 PM
Sooz.....Love the pink and orange colors in the bush...Yes..I would definately say you saved it!!!! Lookin' good!

Kathryn Wilson
04-25-2005, 12:09 AM
Ahhh, so we get to see Sooz' PC's! They are lovely, all of them, so not sure why you are so down on the winter scene. I'm in a springy mood, so the spring-time one does it for me - :clap:

Binkie - you are brave soul - this has a very elegant feel to it.

Bill - I see you are still hard at it working every day - I especially like the last one - nice color.