PDA

View Full Version : Question about Prismacolor soft pastels

dalfonzo
04-17-2005, 05:48 PM
Hello all. I just have a question about the prismacolor soft pastels. Recently got a 'portrait set' of 30. i love the pastels and the level of softness, but I am not crazy about the size of the sticks. They are about half-stick length, in a thin rectangular shape. i have rather large hands and find using the smaller sticks kind of uncomfortable (not to mention I end up crumbling up a lot of sticks before i even get them to the paper!). I've looked on several websites and local stores to see if they are available in a larger, full stick size, without any luck. Just wondering if anyone here has any info on where I could get 'em. Thanks

Wish I could post some of the paintings I'm working on, but I'm having problems with my computer and downloading and saving pictures from my digital camera (something about the memory, I'm not exactly a computer guy).
Thanks again!
Dal

Khadres
04-17-2005, 05:59 PM
Sadly, the Prismacolor/Sanford pastels are all that are left of the great Grumbacher pastels empire. They're only offered in the size you have, unfortunately. Not sure you'll find truly soft pastels in much sturdier form, really. Soft usually means fairly fragile too. You might look at Dakota Pastels website and see what compares on their chart as to softness. If have a LOT of old Grumbacher full size sticks and never had any crumble on me yet...may be something new with the Prismacolor folks.

khourianya
04-17-2005, 07:12 PM
I found some Grumbacher half sticks in a store recently and they are exactly like you are describing with the Prismacolor.

I often see Grumbacher full length sticks on Ebay for good prices. Try there. the full length sticks look quite a bit more substantial.

Laura Shelley
04-18-2005, 02:01 AM
I have very small hands, and I crumble 'em too! I like the texture of Grumbacher/Prismacolors very much--they do wonderful things as an intermediate layer--but the earth colors tend to snap in half or disintegrate when I look at them sideways. They're just delicate, I guess.

Khadres
04-18-2005, 10:26 AM
Hmmm, the half sticks Prismacolor puts out must be skimpier than the one set of Grumbacher half sticks I had from way back...those were short but more square at the ends and virtually indestructible! What a shame they'd chintzed on the new ones like that. Yes, try eBay for some of the old sets of Grumbachers...they are nice and soft with good pigment content.

You'll likely wind up with a very good price through eBay, as well. Good luck!

binkie
04-18-2005, 06:14 PM
Periodically, you can find old Grumbacher sets up for auction on eBay.