PDA

View Full Version : Blue Dancers after Degas

laketrees
04-17-2005, 02:55 AM
HI GUYS..
Well I gave up on the flowers for the charity auction...(I think I've seen the best from Gilberte and Mikey.... :D ) going to have a break from the "original" paintings (worked out I have done 12 portraits in 4 and 1/2 months...) so have decided to do a Degas....last time I painted a Degas (frieze of dancers) it was the first painting to sell in a fab fakes exhibition...so will go with what I know best.... :D ...the original is in pastels...c 1890...I think....but I'm going to use oils...I really like the composition and the colours ...will be a challenge to interpret the colours...here's the start....24" x24" ...canvas...(PRIMED)...graphite drawing....have cut a fraction off the top to keep to the standard canvas size...easier for framing.... :D ...cheers kim

original with drawings

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Apr-2005/54304-BD_REF.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Apr-2005/54304-BD_DRAWING_1.JPG

A Few Pigments
04-17-2005, 05:25 AM
Hi Kim,

This project should keep you on your toes. His pastels danced with colour. If you like degas you might like this thread. Masters of Pastels – December 2004 Edgar Germain Hilaire Degas http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=233729

Mary Stevenson Cassatt was brilliant at making her oil paintings look like pastels. Masters of Pastels-January 2005 Mary Stevenson Cassatt http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=239801

laketrees
04-17-2005, 09:18 AM
Hi Bruce....thanks so much for the links....amazing threads....Degas would have to be one of my favourite artists....lol...this is keeping me on my toes
have put a wash over...australian red gold with lean medium...started with the lights ....zinc white and naples yellow....and just testing a few combinations out.....cobalt violet hue...pthalo blue.....ultramarine blue...I think the ref photo I'm using is too violet....it's very different to the one on my monitor...going to read all those quotes again....fascinating artist....interesting theories....thanks again Bruce....
cheers kim

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Apr-2005/54304-BD_WASH.JPG http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Apr-2005/54304-BD_REF.JPG

Anita Murphy
04-17-2005, 09:32 AM
Kim - I can't wait to see how this comes out! Made myself cuppa tea, pulled up a chair, waiting........................

laketrees
04-17-2005, 09:43 AM
Hi KA.....hope it's a comfy chair....lol.....my last Degas took 6 weeks.... :eek: oh well plenty of time doesn't have to be ready until the end of May...my last Degas was quite small I think about 24" x 11 "...so at least this ones a bit bigger.... :D ..how's your portrait going???
cheers kim

Anita Murphy
04-17-2005, 10:39 AM
Think I am about to do last work on portrait - think its time to call it quits! Will post on Open Critique when I get a good pic.

Artistanne
04-17-2005, 11:28 AM
Kim, I like what you have so far--I actually would love to see you just use the Degas as a point of departure and do this in your own style rather than trying to copy exactly. You have some wonderful angles/planes in your sketch that would be great to play up in a more abstract/modern fashion. In any event, I look forward to watching your progress on this one. I'm sure it will be beautiful! :wave:

Gilberte
04-17-2005, 01:55 PM
I'm with Anne here ! Sing your own voice ... you're too good ... some interpretation, translation with your stupendous talent ... you'd make it majestic !

laketrees
04-18-2005, 03:10 AM
Hi ..KA.... Anne ..and Gilberte........thankyou....I appreciate your suggestions....somehow I think this is leading in that directions.....all of my master's copies have been seriously as close as I could get to the real thing ...but they were all painted with the fab fakes comp in mind...where they judge you on photographic likeness...so I can let my hair down for this one...sort of like what I'd like to see hanging on my own wall....though I really wouldn't mind a real Degas...lol...hanging on the wall.... :D :D
cheers kim

LisaArt
04-18-2005, 05:46 AM
Hi Kim! Looking super. :clap: Love watching your WIPS develop. Great learning experience. I even have Andy watching them too. He says you are very talented!
Whatever way you go it will be awesome! I do echo Anne and Gilberte too!
See you.... :wave: :D

Mikey
04-18-2005, 06:52 AM
Hi Km, I look forward to seeing the result. Oh, only i minute to go and times up. I'm getting confused here in the hurry.

Mikey

laketrees
04-18-2005, 07:41 AM
Hi Lisa....lol.... maybe we'll inspire Andy to pick up a brush and then he can he can be an artist too...hehe....actually I've tried to get Dave to do some painting...but he's much better at the technical side of it all...and telling me what he thinks of my work....he hates it when I overwork a painting :D :evil: I think this might have a cubist element as it is easy for me to see the shapes and planes in this work...a bit the like the way I do my original drawing...I'm always putting things inside squares and triangles and then madly erasing all the extra lines...actually Dave doesn't know how I manage to get to the finished drawing...but I suppose that's how I learnt to draw at art school.... :D

Hi Mikey ...so glad you could drop by....good luck for the 20th....how's your painting going?? :) :)
cheers kim

PHANTOM ART
04-19-2005, 02:10 AM
I like your choice of subject Kim. Ideal for a charity auction.

Mikey
04-19-2005, 07:46 AM
Hi Kim, the painting is still happening and I'll have a few to post. However BT hasn't quite got its act together and didn't know about the order I placed for the internet when I phoned to chase them. Hey ho, not to worry.

Mikey

Spyderbabe
04-19-2005, 03:52 PM
Hey Kim - looking good.... have you entered your big 9-tych sp into the competition yet? What's going on with that?

laketrees
04-19-2005, 04:11 PM
Hi Kathleen...thanks for dropping by...the sp is in Sydney now...the finalist list comes out tomorrow morning in the Sydney Morning Herald Paper....thats why I 'm glad I started the dancers ..as it does take my mind of it..... :evil: :eek:
cheers kim

Nitsa
04-19-2005, 06:23 PM
I'm tagging along on this one Kim, I just love Degas' ballerinas. It's looking good already. Will you be painting it in your style using his composition or attempting to copy?

Good luck with the competition, let us know how it goes. :)

laketrees
04-19-2005, 09:26 PM
Thanks Anita...will probably do a bit of both.....but try to...leave my style in there as well....
yes bit frustrating this waiting....actually they don't announce the finalists until...Thursday 28 in the "Australian" newspaper.... :confused:
(I don't know where I got the Sydney Herald from??) ...but they announce the finalists to the media tomorrow at 12 noon....... :confused:
cheers kim

Nitsa
04-20-2005, 09:01 PM
Well????
I'm dying to know???? :)

laketrees
04-21-2005, 12:58 AM
Hi Anita....and guys...
I've just read the media release on the nsw art gallery site....I wasn't selected..... :crying:
36 finalists out of 800 entries...(few nude portraits).... :D :eek: :D ...Daves mumbling here..."knew you should have painted yourself nude"....mumble mumble....#$%^%....
oh...well....picked myself up...brushed myself down......and now I can get on with my dancers.... :D :D

here's the link to the finalists and their work.... :D I'm betting the "naked" might have a chance.... :angel: at winning next Friday 29 April....

www.thearchibaldprize.com.au

going to have a chardonnay...I think Dave's checking out the next comp..... :D ....
and get back to my painting... :eek:...thank you so much all for your wonderful support and encouragement....Lisa...special kookaburra thanks..to you
cheers kim.......I welcome all condolences...(profuse...thankyou)...and critiques.... :D :D...who...do you think will be the winner????... :D
I wonder if we are allowed to put bets on in here?.... :D :evil:

Gilberte
04-21-2005, 02:23 AM
Never mind Kim, there's always a next time ............. :clap:

laketrees
04-21-2005, 08:43 AM
Very true Gilberte....merci..... ;)

Here's the next stage...using burnt umber with dry brush...trying to get that pastel effect...
cheers kim

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Apr-2005/54304-BLUE_DANCERS_21.JPG

Artistanne
04-21-2005, 09:22 AM
Definitely never mind as Gilberte said, you'll get into an even bigger show next time! :wave:

Your painting is looking just great! You do figures so well.

PS. Thank you for commenting on my big lady in abs/con! :)

laketrees
04-21-2005, 10:25 AM
Hi Anne...thanks and that's exactly what I'm planning.... :D :evil:

Hi Phantom and Mikey....sorry I missed your posts...... they were on page one and I didn't..realize.... :confused: ..(competition madness)
I agree Phantom...I think the dancers will appeal..... :angel:
Mikey.... ah...patience is a virtue....especially with computers.... :D
cheers kim

Gilberte
04-21-2005, 01:58 PM
I'm happy to check in again ...

Looking really "alla Kim" ... the strong design ...

As your dancers look now they seem to come from ... nowhere ...

Spyderbabe
04-21-2005, 04:14 PM
:( Your painting had more panache

I read this:
"2005 Archibald Prize Finalists
Best portrait painting preferentially of some man or woman distinguished in Art, Letters, Science or Politics"

and then I didn't recognize anyone. :eek:

OK I'll put my money on "Naked" (keep me abreast of the situation :evil: :D )

PHANTOM ART
04-21-2005, 04:30 PM
I can see your style in this. Very lyrical composition.

Don't worry about the competition. Onward and upward is my motto.
The last painting in the finalist selection is my choice.

laketrees
04-21-2005, 10:22 PM
Thanks for calling in Gilberte.... :wave:
Hi Kathleen....Thankyou.......there were a lot that were not selected (heard it on the news)..I wonder if anyone painted Rupert Murdoch??? :) but is he counted as an Australian now?... :D and...LOL.....I will.....keep you posted on the winner :D :evil:
Hi Phantom.....thankyou for your good wishes.... :) and good selection...
cheers kim

laketrees
04-22-2005, 12:41 AM
Next stage putting the blues in...pthalo blue ...as well as some yellow patches...cadmium yellow..
cheers kim

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Apr-2005/54304-blue_dancers_22.JPG http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Apr-2005/54304-BD_REF.JPG

A Few Pigments
04-22-2005, 06:06 AM
Hi Kim, this is shaping up very nicely. I’m sorry you didn’t win anything with your painting. I’m sure you’ll have much better luck next time. You’re work is far too good to be over looked much longer. In regards to the nude self-portrait…a word in your ear…let them wonder. :wink2:

Anita Murphy
04-22-2005, 07:57 AM
Kim - sorry to hear about the competition. Hope you aren't too down about it. The dancers are looking stunning. Not that I expected any less from you! :D

laketrees
04-22-2005, 08:12 AM
Hi Bruce...thanks for your encouragement... ;) bit tough on the ego these comps...ahh but "such is life"...(Ned Kelly).....
let them wonder....lol....hehe ...very funny Bruce.... :D :wink2: :evil:
cheers kim

Hi KA....just crossposted....feeling a lot more up since I've got back to the painting...thanks for your concern.... :) :angel:
cheers kim

laketrees
04-23-2005, 12:55 AM
Next stage...blocking in...and have added cobalt violet hue and green(pthalo bl and cad yellow...looks rather bright but will tone that down..have to redo bottom half of back dancers face.....
nice day here so took a shot of the view as well.... :D
cheers kim

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Apr-2005/54304-bd_crop_23.JPG http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Apr-2005/54304-bd_wide_shot_23.JPG

LisaArt
04-23-2005, 04:27 AM
Hi Kim, This is looking super...Thanks for sharing your colours with us too. I love that blue and bits of green, and the shadows on their backs is awesome!
What a view!! such a lovely corner to do a painting...so sunny and bright. I think those are gum trees....eh? :D
Re my pm again, so sorry to hear about the Archibald. In my mind you are the winner...You will get it next time :clap: :wave:
Andy wants to know if that naked big woman is "a whole of Rosie" from ACDC...LOL :evil:

laketrees
04-23-2005, 04:47 AM
Hi Lisa.....Daves LOL here when I read him Andy's comment... :evil: I didn't know AC DC was acca dacca until last year..... :D... but Dave and the kids love AC DC.... :D
yes they are gums outside...home to lots of kookas, possoms and pesky magpies... :evil: I'd love to paint them one day...(pheww...when I get the time)....
hope your dinner party went well..or is it still am saturday there...are you ahead or behind...it's the 23rd here...pm
will probably block in the background tonight and work on that face...
cheers kim

LisaArt
04-23-2005, 06:04 AM
Hi Kim, Still am here. We are ahead. Having the party tonight. I cant wait..In the mood for a party! Andy totally loves ACDC. We saw them 2 years ago in Canada at the SARS fest and they were amazing. He said your dancers are looking TNT dynamite!
Anxious to see more of your work on the dancers. Hey, that face looks tricky..In the orginal it looks like he blurrerd it out...
What I see now from you..looks great..what are you planning on doing..I am curious. :wave:

laketrees
04-23-2005, 07:22 AM
Hi Lisa.....thank Andy for me....I think the colour looks pretty explosive LOL....I think the face is a job for tomorrow...have got something out in the length of the light from the cheekbone to top of mouth.....and you're right it is blurry round the chin area.....might have to redraw that in....will get on with the background tonight...looking forward to seeing your paintings progress too...sounds like you won't be painting too much this weekend eh.... :D :D
have fun tonight!!! :clap:
cheers kim

Mikey
04-23-2005, 07:32 AM
This is looking very good Kim, and very much the style we would want for today.

As we all know finalists and winners do not necessarily get there on being best. It was, however, interesting to see the work accepted for the Archibald. I see Chinese Realism is getting to the front these days, and not necessarily by Chinese artists.

Mikey

laketrees
04-23-2005, 09:19 PM
Hi Mikey...thanks....I think it is a little more contemporary than the original...
The Chinese Realism is doing really well here...I know their work is always hung in a lot of the big comps and it's always a thrill to be hung next to them...you know artists don't have any choice as to where they're hung and sometimes I think that some paintings just do not do justice to others..anyway thats just my opinion... :D
Still set for the 26th with your computer?
cheers kim

here's where I'm up to...mapped in the background...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Apr-2005/54304-BD_24.JPG http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Apr-2005/54304-BD_REF.JPG

Anita Murphy
04-23-2005, 11:03 PM
Looking lovely Kim - and what a place to paint - I am green with envy!

laketrees
04-23-2005, 11:55 PM
Hi KA...thanks....it's very peaceful and quiet here.....sometimes too quiet and peaceful.... :D
cheers kim

Gilberte
04-24-2005, 02:45 AM
Looking lovely Kim - and what a place to paint - I am green with envy!

ditto ditto ditto !!!!!!!!!!!

marsva
04-24-2005, 06:16 AM
What a lovely painting this is coming out to be! It's been so fun to watch it progress. I like the more contemporary look you have put to it. And yes... your studio space is wonderful!

laketrees
04-24-2005, 10:22 AM
Hi Gilberte...merci....sometimes the birds get a bit noisy.... :D :evil:
Hi Marsva...thanks for calling by....it is going in that direction... :)

Have worked on the background and adjusted dancers skin colouring...
cheers kim

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Apr-2005/54304-BD_24_WALL.JPG

Gilberte
04-24-2005, 01:14 PM
WOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Hope you're going to keep these purples in YOUR painting ... gorgeous !

Artistanne
04-24-2005, 02:34 PM
Kim, it's looking beautiful, keep going! Love your studio.

laketrees
04-24-2005, 08:04 PM
Hi Gilberte....merci...I think a bit of the purple wouldn't go astray on the dark area of the left dancers skirt as well....eh???
It's our ANZAC day holiday here and will be going to play 2 up later on....(an ANZAC day tradition)..... :evil:
Hi Anne...thanks for dropping in.....and thankyou.... ;) ;)
cheers kim

PHANTOM ART
04-25-2005, 09:46 PM
The background looks good Kim. I think the purple in the left side would balance very well.
Did you win at two up? :)

laketrees
04-26-2005, 08:31 PM
Thanks Phantom...waiting for the paint to dry.....and planning a new work....
no.... :evil: ...I came out even... :D
cheers kim

laketrees
04-27-2005, 12:25 AM
Anything standing out???...think the middle dancers right elbow is out...
cheers kim

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Apr-2005/54304-BD_27.JPG http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Apr-2005/54304-BD_REF.JPG

Anita Murphy
04-27-2005, 08:49 AM
It looks a little strange until you compare it with the original. Oh I see what it is - there is a little highlight on the top of the - what is the name of that part of the arm - em....... tricep???

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Apr-2005/58769-Degas.jpeg

laketrees
04-27-2005, 09:25 AM
Thanks KA....I was wondering about the flatness on that arm...will adjust that....I think the other arm is too sharp around the elbow and her chin is too light as well...thankyou for your crop with the arrow...I don't think I would have picked it otherwise..... :D :D
cheers kim

Mikey
04-27-2005, 11:23 AM
Kim, I feel kind of guilty for nit picking maybe, but would the middle dancers dress be better a little darker and more saturated as Degas has it. This would bring her forward more.

laketrees
04-27-2005, 07:03 PM
Yes you're right Mikey....the darks on the dancers backs were distracting me because they're so dark...so more intense blues in dancers dresses would balance it out...I'm also thinking of a neutralising tinted matt varnish further down the track on the background and figures...so the colours are not too bright...what do you think?.... :D
cheers kim

Gilberte
04-28-2005, 02:09 AM
Don't know if I can express myself well but what I do like in your paintings is the geometric appliance of the brushwork and your exploration for lights and shadows in this manner ........... very "Kim" !!!

laketrees
04-28-2005, 04:36 AM
Thankyou dear Gilberte....you have expressed yourself so well... :clap: and merci beau coup...your words mean a lot..... :angel:

I think I have finished??? except for the tinted matt varnish..(will leave that until early June)...and the frame...will post in OC for suggestions for frame...Dave here is thinking gold antique...(like my pearl earring) but I'm thinking perhaps more contemporary...( oh dear I do get so indecisive sometimes.... :evil: )..I can see jaw of middle dancer needs to be darker...lol..and back dancers lower shoulder blades need more graduation... :eek:

cheers kim

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Apr-2005/54304-BD_FINAL.JPG http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Apr-2005/54304-BD_REF.JPG

Mikey
04-28-2005, 04:55 AM
Kim, I really wanted to ask if you could darken and saturate that middle dancers dress a bit, but now you seem to have done it, or is this just a better photo.

Mikey

laketrees
04-28-2005, 05:32 AM
Hi Mikey...yes I did redo the middle dancers dress..(the left side)...and it did make a difference...I left the right side lighter to show the modelling and light on the torso.... :)..different photo with a few changes...
cheers kim

marsva
04-29-2005, 08:29 PM
I find the painting just fantastic, and so exciting to watch the process. Thank you so much for keeping up with the posts!! I have just enjoyed watching this painting develope so much!!

laketrees
05-02-2005, 07:09 AM
Thanks Marsva........ :wave: :wink2:
cheers kim

LisaArt
05-03-2005, 05:01 AM
Hi Kim :wave: This has been a super journey! :clap: :clap:
I Loved watching you develop this painting so much! I agree with Gilberte about, "geometric appliance of the brushwork and your exploration for lights and shadows in this painting" It is so very Kim! Such beautiful colours and shapes. The shadows on the back are super. I prefer yours to the original :D
A very lucky person will be the new owner of this beauty of a painting in the auction. Lucky them :envy:

laketrees
05-04-2005, 09:29 AM
Thanks Lisa....and I enjoyed reading your e mail....soo busy here...starting at the new school on monday....and working over time on the sketch for the mural...... :eek: :eek:
cheers kim