PDA

View Full Version : Colors in steel attained by heating.

jackddavis
12-18-2001, 02:42 PM
One of the most frequently asked questions about my work is the coloring in the steel, or more specifically, which colors can be attained by heating. This piece shows all of those colors pretty well. This is one of my first pieces and, although I'm happy with the leaf and blossom, the bird is an experiment gone awry. It was originally supposed to balance on his beak and twist in the breeze. I was going to add weight to the downswept wings until he balance lightly on his beak.............Thus the extra long down and forward swept wings. When I finished adding enough weight, it looked like a couple of barbells on the wing tips..:D I could have trimmed the wings back to a normal size, but didn't. So I call it a "stylized" piece.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Dec-2001/stylizedhumer.jpg

It is probably impossible to get an even color, but in most cases an even color is not desireable anyway.

diane555
12-19-2001, 08:35 AM
Jack: This is a fun piece! The colors show up quite well here also. I prefer the colors not to be even anyway....makes it more interesting. I especially like the 'stylized' look of it :)

Di