PDA

View Full Version : Working cow horse ... add background?

sportpony
12-18-2001, 01:20 PM
This is one of the pen and inks I did of cow horses ... looking at it now I'm wondering if it would look more finished with some kind of background ... and if so ... what ... hills ... corral fence?

The Rottweiler study in pencil I posted in the Animal section had too much ... this one seems like it doesn't have quite enough ...

Seems like I either do too much or not enough ... guess I need to look for a happy medium ...

artdude
12-18-2001, 06:57 PM
I think it's GREAT just the way it is :) If you want to experiment with the background, I would suggest making copies of the original and doodle on the copies. That way you won't ruin that wonderful original ink :D Hope to see more of your ink work soon.

RuthT
12-18-2001, 07:13 PM
Hi again sportpony.

I just popped over to the Animal forum to see your dog (Have commented there, so wont repeat here).

In the meantime Artdude beat me to it; I wouldn't put any backround on it either, it's really beautiful just as it is. Great movement in the drawing.

NorahT
12-18-2001, 10:04 PM
Great drawing - thanks for posting. If anything at all a hint of a fence, but it stands nicely on its own :)

sassybird
12-19-2001, 03:41 AM
I agree with Norah. If you go for that hint of fence make it very light and sketchy. You don't want anything to detract from this rider and horse. They both deserve all the attention.

Artdude also brought up a good practice. When you have something this nice you want to take no chances on doing something you can not reverse.

els
12-19-2001, 09:28 AM
Nice one. Agree with Norah also.

Earlene
01-01-2002, 09:35 PM
Really great Sportpony. Love the action you have shown.

dnip24
01-02-2002, 12:43 AM
awesome!:) :) :)

Loxley
01-02-2002, 08:56 PM
Dont change a thing, this is great, being a horse lover you couldnt top this. The background is fine. I think background is worse than doing the object we are trying to perfect. We never think its just right. But....yours is great. Thanks for showing us your great work. Lets see more horsey stuff, please. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Flattwo
01-09-2002, 12:06 PM
If it aint broke...why fix it!

Looks good to me, very fine drawing.

If you are looking for a happy medium you might find one smiling and holding hands around a table calling for the departed...lol

Regards

flattwo

RuthT
01-09-2002, 12:26 PM
:D :D :D :D :D

champagneharley
01-11-2002, 09:30 AM
No, I think it needs no background. It's fine.
The ONLY thing that I THINK might make a difference is not so much dark so close up under the horse & calf, it seems like the shadow has risen up to meet them, rather than laying on the ground, so would like to see some shadow below lower, extending more into the 'bottom' of the drawing.
Again, experiment, rather than straight changing, as I could be wrong.
Great work!
Jillian
http://www.JillianCrider.com

loneeagle
01-17-2002, 06:31 PM
I think it looks absolutely great. I love horse pictures.

Surfinia
02-04-2002, 08:22 PM
Looks finished to me. Nice drawing, full of action.