PDA

View Full Version : Featured Artist- Dave Bruner

Printmakerguy
04-13-2005, 08:59 AM
Ok, I am a little behind on these... Here is the latest featured artist-

DAVE BRUNER (http://www.davebruner.com/index.htm)

Dave is a wood engraver, who lives not too far south of me in Sarasota, Florida. His engravings almost have the appearance of a photograph from a distance. The detail on them is outstanding. I have a number of his pieces in my collection, including one hand colored image. He uses prismacolor pencils, and gets an interesting effect with them. Check out his page!

-Andrew

CBHutch
04-13-2005, 11:44 AM
Andrew--Thanks for the link to Dave Bruner's site! He does some GREAT work. I always appreciate your "Artist of The Week" postings. Since I have dial-up it just takes tooooooo long to really do much web surfing. Maybe someday we'll get a cable hook-up, but for now we're just too cheap! :wink2:

Cheryl

sassybird
04-13-2005, 11:48 AM
Wow! Andrew his work is amazing. I am wondering if he uses a dremmel for some of the effects that he gets. I love his hand colored stuff, but the black and white pieces are outstanding. His people are so well done. I am impressed.

Diane Cutter
04-14-2005, 07:32 AM
Wow, I especially love the animals (heron, fish, frog)... Yes, it would seem a dremel would help a lot... What wonderful work! Thanks, Andrew!

Diane

H2O_Baby
04-14-2005, 10:32 PM
Thanks for posting that, Andrew - all those careful lines & dots, beautifully done! It is hard to pick what I like best, perhaps the animals, I like Sunburned (just becuse it is a fish of course) and the toad, also the frog reflection one which is such a nice composition. The people are interesting in that they are ordinary folks in extraordinarily beautiful prints. Looks like quite a few are self portraits?

Printmakerguy
04-14-2005, 10:36 PM
and the toad...
...Looks like quite a few are self portraits?

The toad is one of my favorites, too! I wasn't allowed to buy it, though- He looked too mean... Next time I need to leave the girlfriend at home :)

A number of them are self portraits, one that I own, Cablevision, is a portrait in front of the TV, Great composition!

-Andrew

Sunfilly
04-14-2005, 10:48 PM
I love this guys work, I have seen his site before but forgot about him for a while. My favorites is the trees, water and on the road, I love traveling in a car. I love his style of lines and dots. You don't see to many people using dots in carvings, it similar to the way aquatint works with dots to make the shades of colors. I think he must have used a dremal tool for the dots or used different sized nails if he did it by hand. Very interesting.

H2O_Baby
04-15-2005, 07:14 AM
... Next time I need to leave the girlfriend at home :)

...one that I own, Cablevision,
-Andrew

Andrew, can you confirm that these are printed intaglio style? That makes more sense to me that little tiny raised wood block lines...

And not sure what you meant about the toad - use it a watch-toad? Or perhaps it just blocks the doorway as it looks to be a BIG toad. Like the Australian cane toads that are pests in queensland and are reputed to secrete hallucinogens. Poor girlfriend!

Printmakerguy
04-15-2005, 08:14 AM
Andrew, can you confirm that these are printed intaglio style? That makes more sense to me that little tiny raised wood block lines...

And not sure what you meant about the toad - use it a watch-toad? Or perhaps it just blocks the doorway as it looks to be a BIG toad. Like the Australian cane toads that are pests in queensland and are reputed to secrete hallucinogens. Poor girlfriend!

No, they are actually releif prints- Wood engravings generally are.

Most of them are pretty large as well- I bought a smaller one that isnt on the site, but the smallest he sells are 4 X 5, but most are at LEAST 8 x 10. He has a great new one that is like 18 x 24, but it isnt on the site, either!

The toad just 'looked grumpy'. My thought on the matter was I would be grumpy too if my back was completly covered in warts...

If anyone has any specific ??'s for dave, I will see him saturday at yet ANOTHER huge art fair, Mainsail (http://www.mainsailartsfestival.org)...

-Andrew

Sunfilly
04-15-2005, 05:53 PM
No, they are actually releif prints- Wood engravings generally are.

Most of them are pretty large as well- I bought a smaller one that isnt on the site, but the smallest he sells are 4 X 5, but most are at LEAST 8 x 10. He has a great new one that is like 18 x 24, but it isnt on the site, either!

The toad just 'looked grumpy'. My thought on the matter was I would be grumpy too if my back was completly covered in warts...

If anyone has any specific ??'s for dave, I will see him saturday at yet ANOTHER huge art fair, Mainsail (http://www.mainsailartsfestival.org)...

-Andrew

I'm curious if he used a dremel tool or nails for the dots, I was going to make some homemade tools with lots of nails sticking out of it to punch dots on my zinc plates, I was going to use differnt sized nails and diffent spacings, and just hammer the nails on the plates. just thought it would make interesting patterns and textures and be a lot faster then doing it with the dremal tool, because I can cover bigger areas in a shorter time.

Printmakerguy
04-16-2005, 05:29 PM
I saw Dave today at the show, and bought another print... I can't help it, especially since he gives me such a nice discount :)

He does all of those dots with a stippling tool- just a graver with a point. If you look at them up close, they really aren't as uniform as they appear in the low resolution pictures on the web, there is a lot of variation in them.

He has some new multicolor reduction linocuts that are pretty neat, I was impressed!

-Andrew