PDA

View Full Version : And, A couple more...

Printmakerguy
04-12-2005, 03:02 PM
I printed an edition of my living room print today, and while the ink was out, I did a couple more of my unprinted blocks- Both of these were carved on the ship last month, you may recall the rubbings. All are Oilbased Daniel smith ink on Rives BFK.

1) After Durer

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Apr-2005/36273-DurerMD.jpg
This was a test- More of an exersize in drawing and cutting than anything, I never intended to do an edition of this one. I experimented further with it, by inking the block, then going back and removing some of the ink with a paper towel so it looks more like plate tone. I kind of like the results! I want to try this one with dark brown inks next...

2) Moonlight Reflections
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Apr-2005/36273-moonlightSMWC.jpg
Certainly not my normal subject matter, but as you can see I have been exploring the figure a bit. This one is heavily influenced by german expressionist woodcuts... I have a book of them that is VERY interesting.

As usual, C & C appriciated...

-Andrew

(yes, Diane- I remembered the butt icon this time :D )

Printmakerguy
04-14-2005, 08:01 AM
No comments?? They must be absolutly perfect then :D

Or- So terrible that they are causing monitor cracking :eek:

sassybird
04-14-2005, 12:22 PM
I like the woman, but am unsure of what the lines to the left of her are meant to convey. The second one I really like. It is a good strong image.

H2O_Baby
04-14-2005, 10:08 PM
I like the woman, but am unsure of what the lines to the left of her are meant to convey. The second one I really like. It is a good strong image.

Oops the computer did a blip, I thought this was lost but it was printed twice so I am editing it.

H2O_Baby
04-14-2005, 10:09 PM

My guess is rays of light, following the shading. Looks like Andrew was experimenting with unconventional methods to display this, but I do like it. Andrew, the woman-orgy looks like a sailor's fantasy! :D

Printmakerguy
04-14-2005, 10:57 PM
Andrew, the woman-orgy looks like a sailor's fantasy! :D
:eek:

Well, I didn't see it as that, EXACTLY...

I was kind of following the lead of the German printmakers, they did a lot of images of nude figures lounging in the woods... I have a whole book of them (I suppose in the 1920's and 30's in germany there must have been a lot of naked people in the woods???)

-andrew

jennakate
05-03-2005, 08:32 PM
LOL! Great work! I like them both a lot!

I stumbled over here (normally I just hang out in the wearables forum and sometimes glass) and I will sure be back! I love the lines and contrast printmaking and am considering trying it out....

Jenna kate

Printmakerguy
05-03-2005, 10:25 PM
I stumbled over here (normally I just hang out in the wearables forum and sometimes glass) and I will sure be back! I love the lines and contrast printmaking and am considering trying it out....

Welcome to the printmaking forum! This is a great place. I hope you do try your hand at printmaking- But be forewarned- it is addictive.

I checked out your page- Nice work- I especially like the clownfish, I have 3 of them as pets... They are funny animals...

-Andrew

jennakate
05-04-2005, 06:48 PM
thanks! i love clownfish too. lol!

jenna kate

uudfourty
07-13-2005, 05:05 PM
the first one is great. i'd buy it, but i would never wonder what the lines meant... i would just take them at face value as being an artists tool to help my eye stay entertained.

muwahaha
07-13-2005, 09:30 PM
I them both as well.
The lines also caught my eye before I read the comments. I do get the impression of light on that side as opposed to the shadow on the other side, but I would have to say that the light seems to be coming from the woman as if the one side of her is radiating light?

The towelling looks great especially the shadow . I would definately experiment with it further.

Ivan

Joost
07-13-2005, 11:51 PM
Hi Andrew,

I think I did not participate in this forum yet when you originally posted these. So, a late reaction: I love them! The anatomy of the first one is very good, very good suggestion of muscles and shades. Very good study material for my own attempts! I'd like to get hold of that book of yours! Do you have a title? The "rays" are indeed a bit unexpected, but I don't mind, imo they contribute very well to the overal picture.

The second one has a very different quality. Nice composition, the scenery has some humour to me. Intended?