PDA

View Full Version : Exotic Bangkok

LisaArt
04-12-2005, 05:26 AM
Sawadee Everyone,
I started a new WIP. Acrylic painting 30 x 40 cm.
A fantasy painting from my imagination reflecting all the famous landmarks I enjoyed in Bangkok, Thailand.
Thought, I would share my work in progress with you and get your advice throughout my challenge. :D This is going to be one heck of a challenge for me. Sometimes, I think I am completely nuts to undertake these projects.... :evil:
Attached some of my ref. pictures laid out on a collage, and my very rough sketch.
After much struggling, I have now put my drawing on the canvas. It is quite messy, as I had so many problems with this drawing…I have changed a few things around. I will start blocking in some color today :eek:
Was wondering what you thought so far… If you have any ideas or comments about anything, please do let me know. Thanks a bunch! :wave:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Apr-2005/40382-refwork.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Apr-2005/40382-canvas1.jpg

laketrees
04-12-2005, 05:48 AM
Sawadee Everyone,
Hi Lisa.....this is going to be enchanting....I love the title.....and......clever idea with the collage for putting images and ideas together...
(I might do the same with my flower portrait... :D)....
your drawing looks good ....so full of interesting images and ideas.......what are the little circles in the middle?...and what does sawadee mean.... :confused: ...is that Bangkok for hello.... :D
cheers kim
ps you're obviously liking the acrylics.......

LisaArt
04-12-2005, 05:57 AM
Hi Kim, Thanks so much for looking :D! Yeah, the collage is helping me so much because I had pictures all over the place. So I thought I would stick them all on one big piece of paper..that way I can just work from that. LOL...you know my mom was asking about the circles this morning...They are trees outside the palace..They are not showing up on the pic of the palace in my ref pic on my collage I found on the net. That pic is more helpful for me to draw/paint the palace. But in my own picture they are there. I thought I would put them there so I dont have to much work and windows to do on the palace... :evil:
Here's what those buggers trees look like...
Yes, sawadee is Hello in Thai! LOL
Anxious to see your flower painting develop.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Apr-2005/40382-Palacesideview.jpg

laketrees
04-12-2005, 06:55 AM
He he Lisa...the trees are neat...I sure wouldn't like to be that gardener... :D I think they will make an interesting diversion to the windows....good thinking batman!!! :D ...
I'm still looking at a blank canvas...as well as watching the middle section of lord of the rings...(family movie marathon...all 3 tonight... :eek:)
cheers kim
ps school hols here..... :wink2:

LisaArt
04-12-2005, 07:18 AM
Hey Kim! School Holidays! Super, that means your off too eh?
..Lord of the Rings marathon...Yeah Andy had one of those a few weeks ago...
I was looking at the canvas and my drawing too right now..just did not feel up to painting..Got my butt in motion now...going nuts with lots of blue...LOL

Lets go...Kim...Let that canvas talk to you..."my precious...(in the golams voice)....paint something" ... :evil:
Do you have any ideas of what kind of florals you will do....???? :wave:
Whats your fav flower!?

laketrees
04-12-2005, 07:54 AM
lol Lisa....gollum...he is so funny....I think I'm vegetating here because...I'm looking forward to getting the archibald delivered and out of the way... :D I did take some pics of flowers that Dave gave me on Saturday for the show I don't know what they're called....I'm shocking when it comes to names of flowers.... :D might start a thread tomorrow....I've still got to fill in my entry forms...and write out hanging instructions....actually Lisa ...my fav flowers are roses....but I'm thinking orange and purple with lots of texture and slightly abstract....I think your collage idea will help me sort out my composition for me ...good that you're started painting yours...I think the hardest part is starting a new one
...happy painting Lisa.... :)
cheers kim

Anita Murphy
04-12-2005, 08:12 AM
Hi Lisa - chair is pulled up and I'm waiting to be introduced to the wonders of Bangkok. Great collage - such a good idea for brainstorming! I love the trees - a touch of nature in all the man-made makes for a nice accent.

Thought of you Sunday when I went to the Art Market in central Mexico City - there is a guy there who does paintings of landmarks of Mex City - long skinny canvases (portrait style). His buildings all bend intowards the centre making it look like you are looking up at them. Vibrant colours too - I think you would like them.

:D

Spyderbabe
04-12-2005, 10:01 AM
:wave: just hanging out...

Mikey
04-12-2005, 10:12 AM
Hi Lisa, I'll be looking.

Mikey

LisaArt
04-12-2005, 10:21 AM
Hi KA, Thanks so much! His work sounds cool...would love to see it. And thanks for thinking of me....Going to see your portrait now... :wave:

Kathleen and Mikey. So good to see you both. :wave:

Started blocking in some layers of colours. Where I am at so far. The temples (wat arun, to the left) I will most likely add a glaze/layer of more of greyish/blue tone ...
Will most definitely lighten up the water, boats, and orchids.
So much more to do..I am just basically playing with the shapes and colour scheme...at the moment. See you later. Have a great Monday night! :wave:
ps..sorry for my somewhat blurry pic...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Apr-2005/40382-Bangkok1.jpg

Anita Murphy
04-12-2005, 02:05 PM
Looking good Lisa - Love the elephant!!

laketrees
04-13-2005, 02:50 AM
Hi Lisa...the composition looks great...is that a baby elephant with the elephant...are they going to replace your cats for this one?.... :D I like the red splash of colour across the palace...noice!!!!
cheers kim
ps Lisa...you'll be speaking THAI by the end of this one..... :cool:

LisaArt
04-13-2005, 07:07 AM
Hi KA and Kim, thanks so much (Kap Kun Kob...) :wave:
Yes Kim, that is a baby elephant. We dont see them too well, I have more work to do on them. I want to add my little cats, but I am not sure where...Usually they are on a bridge somwhere in the middle of the painting. I did not put any bridges in this Bangkok building, none of their bridges really appealed to me and I dont think it would fit well in this painting. I thought about putting the cats on the grass in front of the palace or to the right on the little docks of the river houses. Any ideas?

I am hoping I can do some paintig today...but I dont know, I am sporting a little red wine hangover today. :evil: LOLOL..Andy got home early yesterday and we fired up the barbie and indulged into too much wine... :eek:

laketrees
04-13-2005, 10:20 AM
Hi Lisa
Ah yes the red wine does that to you..... :evil: ...tsk tsk..... :D ...
I think the cats might need to counterbalance those cute little elephants...but I'm sure you will find the right place for them....you do tend to leave them till last....like two full stops....... :cat: :cat:
off to Sydney in 9 hours and the paints dry.....phewww
cheers kim

Spyderbabe
04-13-2005, 11:48 AM
I'de like the cats in the boat! But that would put them close to the elephants. What's in the middle of the river? Could they go in that little house?

Let that canvas talk to you..."my precious...(in the golams voice)....paint something" . THIS creeps me out!

Gilberte
04-13-2005, 02:20 PM
Hi Lisa, I'll be looking.

Mikey

me too :wave:

katelynalain
04-15-2005, 05:28 PM
hi lisa,
"koh kun kaaaaaaahhhhhh," :D :D :D i feel badly now that i never come over here to WIP but i'm glad i did today. this is going to be really fun. we took a free river tour in bangkok, and our boat broke down..had to be rescued. that's what your pleasant rive scene reminds me of! looking good so far. i'll be interested to see how this turns out. the thai people are so nice, and the colors over there (so much gold) will be fun to render in your painting. :wave:

LisaArt
04-16-2005, 04:13 AM
Hi Kathleen, LOL, yeah that gollam creeps me out too. Thanks for your suggestions. I thought about putting the cats along the docks to the right and yeah that would be bring near the elephants. In the middle of the river is the royal boat. LOL..it does look like a house now. My husband said the same as you to put them in that boat. I was afraid it would be too comical to have them in the boat. But the more I ponder and this is a fantasy type painting, I think they will be good in there. :wave:

Hi Gilberte, Hi ma belle, Great to see you! and thanks for dropping by

Hey Katelyn, Great to see you too! So far I am having a bit of fun...LOL..I am finiding it hard to decide on what colours to use. It is so hard to see all those colours (bits of ceramics) as you know on those Wats! Oh poor you breaking down on that chao praya river. :confused: I was always on the boat tours and I am happy we did not break down. Yes, the Thai people are always smiling and so friendly. :wave:

Going to do some work today! I have been lazy these past days... :evil:

LisaArt
04-19-2005, 11:30 AM
Double post..sorry... :D

LisaArt
04-19-2005, 11:33 AM
Hi Guys,
Got some more work today. I finished the wat arun (temple) left hand side. I am happy with it. I changed the colour....Purple was just not doing it.
Also just blocking in more colour. Needing so many coats.
I will finish the remaining wats (right hand side) for my next step.
Think I got carried away with my fraganpini flowers :evil: They are not finished...just doing several washes before I define them and do the yellow bit in the middle...

Still so much to do and the weather has been so nice, that I have troubles wetting those brushes. :D :wave:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Apr-2005/40382-Bangkok2.jpg

laketrees
04-19-2005, 04:04 PM
Hi Lisa.....The temple is looking great and I love all the frangipani flowers across the foreground........I like the modelling on the elephants...I think the blue is working so well with the yellows..... :cool:
know what you mean about the weather...nice weather here too...31o here the other day...and being holidays...bit hard getting motivated.... :evil:
cheers kim

LisaArt
04-20-2005, 04:30 AM
Hey Kim, thanks so much. I am happy you like the frangipanis..I wasnt sure about that. I wanted to make the foreground interesting.
Yes, I remodeled the elephants..had a hard time with the big one, his shape and ear. I wont fuss with it anymore.
There is another elephant (actually a metal statue IRL) in the right hand corner near the emerald buddah. I will do that one with some pathloblue/and green to appear like a oxodizing statue.
WOW, 31, wish I was having that. :p
You must be anxiously awaiting the results of the archibald...I am stressed for myself..... I agree it is good to have a painting going on to get your mind of things... :wave:

laketrees
04-20-2005, 05:45 AM
Hi Lisa...I'm glad you pointed out the other elephant behind the buddha....so many little details and so enjoyable watching it all come together... :) :)

I am stressed for myself

LOL....Lisa...you and Dave both.... :eek: :eek: I'm not too bad as I have a habit of lowering my expectations the closer I get to the day so that I'm prepared...ah the joys of competition... :D my poor dancers have been a bit neglected.... :( ...so maybe I'm secretly stressed...lol.... :eek:
cheers kim

LisaArt
05-04-2005, 07:18 AM
Hi Gang! I have done more work today after a nice break in Paris. I am Full inspiration now from my great trip.
I have basically finished all the different wats (temples) in the back. I might just outline the blue/grey one a little darker as I feel it is not popping like the other two...what do you think
Then I am going to start work on the other items in the front. I am basically going to leave the castle (white thing in the middle) till last, LOL...as I am dreading that bit... :evil:

Large picture and close up of the wats
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-May-2005/40382-Bangkok4.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-May-2005/40382-WatsCloseup.jpg

Gilberte
05-04-2005, 08:25 AM
Good to hear you're picking up the brushes again ... and all looks well as far as I can see ... you have your very own signature in in your cityscapes and that makes them interesting.
Thanks for sharing :) :) :)
Ciao !

laketrees
05-04-2005, 09:21 AM
Hi Lisa...you have been busy...it's looking gorgeous....the two temples look very rich...maybe some warm bues in the back one??.I'm sure you will get it.. :clap: lucky lucky you..(paris) :clap: ...
cheers kim

Anita Murphy
05-04-2005, 11:46 AM
Hi Lisa - was thinking yesterday I wonder what happened to Lisa. This is looking great! Love the way you are developing this. How was Paris in the spring time? I have friends who live there at the moment - lucky them! Lucky You!

LisaArt
05-05-2005, 03:41 AM
Hi Gilberte, Kim and Anita. Thanks oh so much for dropping by. Appreciate it. :D Kim, Instead of going darker on the outline for back temple, I added some warmer blues as you suggested and Presto! It looks great. Thanks for that! Did some more work yesterday afternoon and I am working on it now, but taking a "WC" break...so much less calories then a kit-kat break.... :D I am in a crazy mood today...LOL

Bevahlee
05-05-2005, 07:27 AM
I like the unfinished version(third version) just like it is. It's still part drawing and all the shapes are not filled in. Just my taste, acourse. :wave:
Nevertheless these are nice composites of places. Would be fun to see one of your drawings painted with arbritrary transparent washes over them though. :-)

LisaArt
05-06-2005, 04:37 AM
Hi Bev, Thanks so much for looking and your comments. Really Appreciate it. :D

LisaArt
05-06-2005, 08:12 AM
Hi Everyone, Managed to get some more work done, I finished my Thai river boats and dock (rightside) and the little Royal boat in the middle, the Chao Praya River and the beach front water (need some more work on the sunchairs).
Also just blocked in more colour here and there. Starting to work on more details in foreground, ie. outlining the frangipani flowers, finishing the orchids, the tuc tucs, etc. Oh so much left to do.
My fav part of the painting process is doing all the details now..Have a great Friday...TGIF :wave:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-May-2005/40382-Bangkok5.jpg

laketrees
05-06-2005, 08:30 AM
Hi Lisa.....I can see it coming together....it's nice when you get the main part over with and get to the part you really enjoy....you are a details gal for sure... :D ...I love the colours in the boats on the left.....and I like the red splashes and dark purples......the blue in the back temple looks good now too....I keep forgetting this is acrylic.....it does look like oils especially the temples and browns in the building behind the boats...that palace is going to make a fabulous focal point........ :clap:
cheers kim
ps you have a good day too!! :wave:

Anita Murphy
05-06-2005, 08:46 AM
Coming on nicely Lisa - I like it when you get to the detail bit too - suddenly everything starts popping out!

LisaArt
05-09-2005, 06:22 AM
Hi Kim and Anita, Thanks again girls for dropping by, I really appreciate all the feedback. :D I feel like I am painting in a group with such a great gang! :wave:
We had a nice long weekend here and I did not do too much more, hoping to get more done today, now that it is raining over here

Gilberte
05-09-2005, 08:24 AM
Your cityscapes are so special and original, absolutely charming ! Good continuation Lisa !

LisaArt
05-10-2005, 05:36 AM
Hi Gilberte! Ah thanks for that.... :D :wave:

LisaArt
05-10-2005, 10:33 AM
Hi Everyone, More work today. I tackled the façade of the palace (paynes grey/white). I love Paynes Grey Kim! I just need to finish the details on the roof and gold towers with some darks, and do those little round trees in the front.

I am not sure about my frangipani flowers now (foreground). I have outlined them in some ultramarine blue/crimson red and I think perhaps I should leave them all white. However, I would like a little outline. Any suggestions?
Thanks everyone for taking the time to help me out! much appreciate. Have a nice day :) sorry the pic is not that great. Had to do lots of resizing to fit in here..LOL
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-May-2005/40382-Bangkok6.jpg

katelynalain
05-10-2005, 11:10 AM
'sawadee kahhh' lisa,
this is looking great. i dont mind the outlining because your style is so 'stylized', but you could outline only in places where the flowers dont stand out from a darker background. i think you should have your signature kitty sitting on a boat and eating delicious pad thai straight out of a wok. yum. just kidding. are those tuk tuks lower left going to be brighter? they are feeling slightly lost at the moment..

Mikey
05-10-2005, 11:15 AM
Lisa, I tink you are achieving a good balance now. I was a bit concerned about the red roof being dominant, but that seems to be will undercontrol now. I would think just do as Katelyn suggests.

Mikey

LisaArt
05-10-2005, 11:35 AM
Sawadee Katelyn!!!!!!!!!, So nice to see you. :wave: And thanks so much for your tips. I apprecaite that, great idea!
Yes the tuc tucs lower right are not finished. Just blocked in some colour and outlined them a bit so I see them and see what I have to do....LOL.
I will work on those soon. Yep, as they are now, they are lost. They need to pop, because without tucs tucs, Bangkok would not be the same :D
Oh yeah those kittys...LOL. Like your idea. My husband was laughing at your comments and he also wants them in the middle boat.
I thought that would be a little exaggerated..LOL. But I will see. They would have to be quite small. I was thinking more of putting them on the floating docks (right hand side) or perhaps left hand side down on the pavement in front of the Palace. Not too sure. I will draw some by hand in my MGI photo thing and see where they might look best. :cat:

Hi Mikey, Thanks for dropping bye. Appreciate all your great help. :wave:

Hey guys! Any other suggestions for the kittys placement would be appreciated. :cat:

Bevahlee
05-10-2005, 11:38 AM
Katelyn said it right. If you outline, just a few here and there.

Gilberte
05-10-2005, 01:14 PM
All my admiration for the line work. I'd need a painting stick to hold still my hand ... I do love the kind of line-up or simmetry of the buildings here a lot. Where to put the cats ? Dunno, maybe bottom up in those two chairs :evil:

laketrees
05-11-2005, 06:35 AM
Hi Lisa...ooooh you have been busy...the paynes grey looks fantastic...it's really coming together....love the outlines on the frangipanis....and I like Gilberte's idea of the cats on the chairs.....or even on the brown roof on the left near the staircase....I think they will look terrific wherever you put them..mate..... :wink2: :D
cheers kim

LisaArt
05-11-2005, 12:27 PM
Hi mates, Bev, Gilberte and Kim, Thanks a bunch. You know, Andy also likes your ideas about the cats on the beach chairs. I am going to wait to the end and see where they call me...LOL :cat:

More work today on palace and orchids (hate doing flowers :evil: ). You know looking at the photo some more, I think I need a bit more darks in the orchids. However, they look much better IRL. What do you think?

I think I am going to add some more darks on the gold steeples of the roof.
I also have to do more modeling on my elephants and tuc tucs - left hand side. The main thing left now is to finish the right hand side with the Palace Guard (gold figure) and some more details on the emerald buddah and elephant statue.
I think I will be finished very soon (thankd goodness). Just doing the lights and darks a bit more here and there. I am happy that this is wrapping up...starting to have enough with Bangkok..LOL Have a great evening everyone :wave:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-May-2005/40382-Bangkok7.jpg

laketrees
05-14-2005, 08:13 AM
Hi Lisa....this is looking superb..... :clap: :clap: :clap: ...I love it.....this is looking more 3 D than your paris....(which I love too).....the detail is extraordinary and the palace looks magnificent....the colours are so beautiful.....makes me want to go and visit Bangkok....though I think I'd rather see your painting in real life....do your parents like it???
.....hope you and Andy are having a good weekend and thanks for the e mail......so busy on the mural sketch...phewwww....finished for the night...I really cannot wait to start painting BIG..... :D :D
cheers kim

Anita Murphy
05-14-2005, 09:23 AM
Hi Lisa
Like Mikey says its looking more balanced now. You're doing great! Love all the little details you put in. Its going to be one of those pictures you have to look at for a long time to take it all in. Isn't Payne's Grey the best colour? I use it instead of black. Go through tubes and tubes of the stuff!

LisaArt
05-16-2005, 10:00 AM
Hi Kim, Thanks so much. I really appreciate it so much. :D You know sometimes on these different painting projects of mine, I get a little frustrated and I often dont see the darn thing developing and it is nice to have mates like you to share the experience with. I must say I am happy with how the painting is turning out. My parents have never been to Bangkok, but they saw my pics and like the painting and my series (so far very much). This was a very busy long weekend here, we wereinvited on Friday night for dinner and Sunday for a bbq. Meeting new friends here, so that is great!
Had no time for painting! I hope you and Dave are also having a great weekend. Amazing work on your mural sketch too. Just looked at it quickly before we head out for dinner. Sorry I did not have time to write something.
Thanks about the avatar pic. Cut my hair short, so I figured I would update my look...LOLOL :D

Hi Anita, Hope you are also having a great weekend. And thanks so much. :D My sister mentioned about spotting all the little things going on too. :D :wave:

laketrees
05-17-2005, 04:44 AM
Hi Lisa.....good to hear that you had a great weekend....I had my hair cut too today..... :D so much easier to manage :evil: when it's short....pouring rain here....so good to hear you had bbq weather there....glad to hear your parents love your work ...but then that doesn't surprise me.....got any ideas for your next "place" after you finish Bangkok??????
cheers kim

LisaArt
05-17-2005, 01:09 PM
Hi Everyone. Guess what? Yes, I am finished. So happy. You know, I was starting to get bored with this project. I like to move onto new things. Anyways I am quite happy how it turned out. I added another beach hut umbrella to the left. There was big space there and it was driving me mad. :evil: I felt it needed more balance... I think it is okay now. Do you think its okay? Or did I wreck it… :confused: :eek:
I want to thank you all very much for your help and support through out this project. You guys are the best! :clap:
Kim, re my email...I haven’t yet decided on what city to do next. I am looking through all my photos and will prepare my next sketch soon….I think I am going for Syndey! Unfortunately, I wont have too much time for painting within the next two months as my parents are coming over for a visit for almost 1 month…and then I have my brother-in-law and family after for 2 weeks, Then my sister for 2 weeks. :eek: busy busy!
I might however, find time between the cleaning, cooking, playing tour guide, the entertainer, etc to do some little projects alone and with my mama. She likes to watch me do my little watercolours and they are fun and quick. I will however, be checking in on my WIP family to watch your new beautiful paintings, I really love this thread. Bye for guys now and have a great week!

Here is a big shot and some close ups of the cats and Palace Guard of the emerald Buddah!...and on my easel. :wave: Oh I also attached a pic now of the group of 3 of what I have done so far. Lots more to go. LOL I am slow, but they do take time... For the Basel one, it is a bit different from the other two, I just basically concentrated on the Munster only...that city does not have that many attractions...but still very nice and I lived there..for a long time...lol...too long.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-May-2005/40382-Bangkok-wip-finalwc2.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-May-2005/40382-closeupcats.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-May-2005/40382-closeupGuard.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-May-2005/40382-Easelwc.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-May-2005/40382-thegroup3.jpg

Mikey
05-17-2005, 03:16 PM
Lisa, it is great to see that you have found yourself as anartist with a growing body of work.

Mikey

LisaArt
05-17-2005, 03:31 PM
Hi Mikey, Thanks so much...I appreciate it very much, and all your great tips and help in the past since I have been with WC :clap:

Nicoclaus
05-17-2005, 11:09 PM
Vey nice, you have a very interesting style, the only thing that I might change/add, is some blueish color to the water, because it kind of looks like grass too me, sorry ;) But very original work ;)

LisaArt
05-18-2005, 02:38 AM
Hi Rubberduck...Cute name. Thanks for your kind words. I was thinking the same too about the water when I was painting it and this morning. But you know that chayo Praya River running through Bangkok looks very green or sometimes brown...LOL
I think I might add a little blue here and there...any suggestions of what type of blue mixture...? :wave:

Nicoclaus
05-18-2005, 11:26 PM
Hi Lisa, I hope you don't mind or get upset with me because I took your image into Photoshop and edited it, I didn't know how else to show you what I would do to it to make it look more like water :) I know you want to keep the greenish color which is fine, since that is the color that chayo Praya River looks like.

Gilberte
05-19-2005, 02:03 AM
Wow Lisa, the display of the three of your cityscapes is gorgeous. Vivid paintings and very special.

LisaArt
05-19-2005, 02:26 AM
Hi Rubberduck, Thanks so much for that. No, I dont mind at all. This is why I love Wet Canvas so much. We all give each other help and support. I really like what you did. Yeah a few more high lights and movement is great idea. I will do that. :wave:

Hi Gilberte, Merci so much. I really appreciate your feedback. Means alot to me. :wave: