PDA

View Full Version : White In Light By Bmburt

BMBURT
04-12-2005, 01:08 AM
I recently started to do some smaller pieces while I am working on a larger one to kind of break up my time and thinking and this is one of the 'little ones' that I came up with, it measures approx. 4 x 6". Any thoughts (good or bad) are appreciated.

Khadres
04-12-2005, 01:15 AM
Wow! To be so small, this is very "spacious" looking and a beautiful painting! Love it! Looks like you've hit on a great way to take a break from your bigger stuff for sure!

jackiesimmonds
04-12-2005, 01:55 AM
I love this too. I love the idea of the paper stuck up behind - makes it modern and fascinating.

Well done, it's beautiful. (not often I say that, so it means I mean it.)

J

vhere
04-12-2005, 02:59 AM
I agree, it's lovely - just one thing - the signature spoils the beautiful simplicity of it - could it be smaller??? :cat:

E-J
04-12-2005, 03:32 AM
Oh my, this is exquisite! How on earth did you make the edges of the paper and tape so convincing? Beautiful delicate shadows and reflection, too -= they have so much colour in them. Gorgeous!

Susan Borgas
04-12-2005, 03:34 AM
Far out!!! I love it :clap: :clap: You have applied pastel to that torn edge on the paper beautifully.

Susan

soap
04-12-2005, 04:08 AM
My Gosh - this is the real stuff - this is fantastic! Tell us more: which pastel brand - paper did you use? Do you have a website?
Very impressive!!

tURBOCAT
04-12-2005, 07:01 AM
This moves me and speaks volumes!!! It's Zen. I think I'll just stare awhile and drool. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Johnnie

artseefartsee
04-12-2005, 07:53 AM
I think this is just awesome :clap: I love the simplicity of it. The white is so soothing. Did you sit up your own still life? You are very good and what a great idea to do smaller pieces.
Sheila

billmags
04-12-2005, 08:12 AM
One word says it all "Beautiful!"

lindadavis
04-12-2005, 08:30 AM
Gorgeous!!

The picture in your avatar, is that the piece from the cover of the magazine with the winners of the Pastel 100? Did you do that as well? Beautiful work!

Tom Christopher
04-12-2005, 09:57 AM
Absolutely brilliant work-- the lighting is perfect.the comp is inspiring .thank you for posting ..Tom

CindyW
04-12-2005, 10:01 AM
BMBurt, the colors in your backgrounds and surfaces are exquisite. The white objects are simple and live so comfortably in this scene. Very nice!! Small pieces can contain so much vitality and life and this one certainly does.
Cindy

chewie
04-12-2005, 10:27 AM
this is so intriguing and, soothing somehow. the lighting in this is awesome.

i thank you for posting this at this time--i have been stewing over how to do something with lots of white myself, i shall study this work for a long time, i will learn plenty. and only 4x6? wow. and please, paper? pastels? color of paper? i could just stare at this for hours, and probably will. thank you.

Muffin_4377
04-12-2005, 10:46 AM
Ditto to what everyone else said!!! I also love how you handled the glaze on the bowl....spectacular!!!!

Alisa
04-12-2005, 11:31 AM
Simply Beautiful.

I was just talking about trying to do something in neutral softer tones. This is inspiring.

Alisa

Paula Ford
04-12-2005, 12:31 PM
This is gorgeous!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Paula

meowmeow
04-12-2005, 01:23 PM
The picture in your avatar, is that the piece from the cover of the magazine with the winners of the Pastel 100? Did you do that as well? Beautiful work!

I wondered the same thing, as I was just looking at that copy of Pastel Journal. Yes...assuming there are not 2 pastel artists with the same name!

Wonderful work, Brian. Really beautiful. Thanks for posting here and welcome!

Sandy

BMBURT
04-12-2005, 02:46 PM
FIRST OFF THANKS FOR THE REPLIES.

ARTSEEFARTSEE-(NEVER THOUGHT I WOULD TYPE THAT WORD!) YEP I SET UP ALL MY STILL LIFE PIECES, I HAVE SHELVES OF JUNK THAT I HAVE COLLECTED OVER THE YEARS THAT I USE

VHERE- THANKS FOR THE INPUT ON THE SIGNATURE. . . AHHHHH I KNOW I WOULD RATHER SIMPLY NOT SIGN THEM AT ALL BUT THEN MY WIFE/BUISNESS MANAGER/PERSONAL CRITIC WOULD NOT LET THAT SLIDE

SOAP- FOR THE LONGEST TIME I TRIED TO NARROW DOWN TO ONE OR TWO BRANDS BUT I HAVE TO SAY I HAVE A VERY WIDE RANGE THAT I USE. . . BECAUSE I WAS TRAINED AS AN OIL PAINTER PAINTING THIN TO THICK.... I USE THE OPPOSITE MENTALITY WITH PASTELS THICK (SOFT) TO THIN (HARD).... BY LAYING A 'BASE' OF COLOR DOWN WITH THICK PASTELS (SCHMINCKE/ UNISON/SENNELIER) I CAN PUCH THEM AROUND ON THE SURFACE OR 'GLAZE' OVER IN A MANNER OF SPEAKING WITH HARDER PASTELS (REMBRANDT/NUPASTEL/PASTEL PENCILS). AND ALMOST ALL OF MY PIECES ARE DONE ON WALLIS PAPER MOUNTED TO ACID FREE FOAM CORE.
MY WEBSITE WHICH IS CURRENTLY BEING REBUILT BUT YOU MIGHT BE ABLE TO STUMBLE THROUGH THE WRECKAGE IS WWW.BMBURT.COM (http://WWW.BMBURT.COM)

AND YEP THAT'S MY PIECE ON THE COVER OF PJ. . . FOR WHAT REASON I CAN'T EXPLAIN. I RECIEVED IT IN THE MAIL SOMETIME IN FEB. I THOUGHT IT WAS A CRUEL JOKE SOMEBODY WAS PLAYING ON ME AND I DIDN'T BUY THAT IT WAS THE REAL THING UNTIL IT CAME OUT ON BARNES & NOBLE SHELVES A COUPLE OF WEEKS LATER.

susiebell
04-12-2005, 03:09 PM
I absolutely love your painting. It is so realistic and yet painterly at the same time. Awesome!!

Dark_Shades
04-12-2005, 04:14 PM
I will add my dittos to many acclaims :clap:
....... wonderful stuff :clap:

Deborah Secor
04-12-2005, 07:01 PM
I'd really like to see more of these small ones. Do you have a series of them? Wonderful work.

May I add my congratulations on the cover image, too. Do you mean to say that the editors didn't inform you it was to be the cover image??? I would've suspected a joke if that happened to me! Did it bother you that it was cropped? I know I'd be thrilled pink to have a painting on the cover of a magazine anywhere anytime--not to mention the CONTEST issue--but I don't know if I'd want it cropped. I thought your spacious composition was superb!

Deborah

Bringer
04-12-2005, 08:16 PM
Hi,

I like your work alot.
The composition and of course the technical aspects.
It shows that when you're picking up a stick, you know what effect that stick will have.
I'l still at the stage where white is painted with white and not with orange or green or violet.
Keep posting so I may keep learning.

Best regards,

Bringer :clap:

bnoonan
04-13-2005, 12:48 PM
Simple.... Elegant.... Painterly..... Just beautiful!!!

No wonder you were on the cover of the PJ.

Congratulations! Barb

jackiesimmonds
04-14-2005, 02:03 AM
It makes me so irritated that a) you were not informed that your pic was to be used on the cover of a magazine and b) hat they cropped it in a cavalier fashion without asking if that is OK.

We artists are treated, sometimes, as if we don't exist!

It is a great honour to have one's work on the cover of a magazine, but that doesn't mean that we should be taken for granted.

I hope you mentioned to the editors of the magazine, that it would have been nice to have been told...and if the want to crop one of your images, it would also be nice to show the full-size image inside the magazine...or perhaps they did.

If we dont stand up for ourselves, who will?

Beautiful work, I love the compositions. So restful.
Have you seen Andrew Hemingway's still life images? Yours remind me of his masterpieces.

Jackie

Kathryn Wilson
04-14-2005, 10:24 AM
I must add my congratulations on your success in the Pastel Journal, although I must agree with Jackie and Deborah that someone sure did slip up in not letting you know.

Your newest post of the still life is wonderful and I look forward to seeing more of you and your work on the Pastel Forum.

I have been hemming and hawing over doing a still life with a favorite pot of mine - I am just not that good in setting up a still life with all that it entails.

Would you do a WIP for us sometime? From beginning to end, including how you go about setting up? I am sure it would be appreciated by all of us.

Kat

BMBURT
04-15-2005, 01:02 PM
Thanks for the continued compliments. It wasn't really a big deal that I wasn't told, I was happy that they wanted to use it. As far as the cropping of an image, I can understand it, I started out in college as a graphic designer so I know there is a lot to balance out. My only problem was that the image really looks 'choppy' on the cover. I am wondered if it was from the slide I sent, but looking at another of the same that I had made I can't believe it broke down that much. But beggars (that's me!) can't be choosers.

Kyle-I am finishing up a couple of other pieces right now, when I start the next small guy I will gladly document the steps from start to finish. Setting up the still life is one of the hardest parts to the piece. Talking and listeneing to so many artists you will hear all the do's and don'ts to still life elements but in the end I have seen still lifes that apply one or more of the 'don'ts' and really make it work.

JackieS- Oh yes I have seen Mr Hemingway's work. The 1999 issue of the pastel Journal with Hemingway, and John Hershey (Unison founder) is one of my Holy Grails! I truly believe if you want to do representational still lifes in pastel and you do not know Andrew Henigway's work, it would be like a person wanting to play rock guitar and not knowing Hendrix.

Kathryn Wilson
04-16-2005, 07:12 PM
Kyle-I am finishing up a couple of other pieces right now, when I start the next small guy I will gladly document the steps from start to finish. Setting up the still life is one of the hardest parts to the piece. Talking and listeneing to so many artists you will hear all the do's and don'ts to still life elements but in the end I have seen still lifes that apply one or more of the 'don'ts' and really make it work.

Looking forward to it! If you have any questions, or need any help navigating the site, let me or one our Guides know - we are here to help - :D