PDA

View Full Version : Making Payne's Gray

llis
12-17-2001, 04:34 PM
I know it is a mixure of Ultramarine Blue, Black, and Yellow Ochre, but what measure? Any one have thoughts, or is it just trial and error?

I'm thinking more on the oil paint line if that helps any.

TPS
12-17-2001, 09:04 PM
Boy, it's been a long time since I've used this, but try...
1/2 UB, 1/4 B, 1/4 YO. It's a subtle balancing act. This will be a very dark color, so lightening with a little white will help you to see the result. It should not be too warm or too cool. Although I've always thought Paynes Gray was a little on the blue side.

Why not just buy a tube of Paynes Gray and experiment with it. Then you'd have something with which to match your mixtures. Most likely different brands would lean one way or the other.

llis
12-17-2001, 09:50 PM
Thanks DJ.

Everytime I read a new book, I find that different artists have a favorite color that they like to use. I decided that I was done with running out and buying their favorite color until I really understood what made that color or if perhaps I might already have it lurking in the bottom of my paints.

I'm on a mission to clean up my act. No more new paint until I absoultely NEED it. I think it will be good for me to at least try to mix the color I need. I think I'll be learning more that way and at least if I do decide that I need to buy that new tube with that fancy name, I'll know how it got that way...or at least a little bit about it.

Your understanding of color amazes me. Thanks for sharing; it really helps.

diphascon
12-19-2001, 05:37 PM
From a German website (daring attempt to translate):

"Paynes Gray is a mixture, therefore very variable, and, of course, completely dispensible."

They recommend to try a mixture of black, some blue and maybe a bit of crimson instead.

But the site is about printmaking ...

Cheers

martin

llis
12-19-2001, 07:15 PM
That's interesting Martin.

You know what I just thought of?... I wonder if someone has an oil tube of payne's gray that they could look at and see what is listed as the ingredients.

Anybody?

diphascon
12-20-2001, 06:28 AM
Originally posted by llis
I wonder if someone has an oil tube of payne's gray...
Anybody?

HA!

No oils at hand, but on the Talens website they mention following pigments for their Rembrandt line Payne's Grey oil (the highest price line I think):

PBk11 (Lunar Black)
PB29 (Ultramarine Blue)
PV19 (Quinacridone Rose)

And for their Van Gogh oil (a cheaper one):

PBk9 (Ivory Black)
PB15 (Phthalocyanine Blue)
PV19 (Quinacridone Red/Rose/Violet)

And for ther Payne's Grey Rembrandt water colour:

PBk6 (Lamp Black)

And for their Van Gogh watercolour

PBk6 (Lamp Black)
PV19 (Quinacridone Rose)

And for their Rembrandt acrylic:

PBk11 (Lunar Black)
PV19 (Quinacridone Rose)

And for their Van Gogh acrylic: the same as Rembrandt

No Payne's Grey in their Amsterdam line.

cheers

martin

llis
12-20-2001, 08:17 AM
Thanks again Martin!

:D