PDA

View Full Version : Weekly Pastel Sketches, 11-17 April '05

E-J
04-11-2005, 05:35 AM
Welcome to another week of pastel sketching!

ALL pastellists are welcome here, whether you're using soft or hard pastels, oil pastels or pastel pencils, and whether you're a newbie or a pro.

The idea is to fit some pastelling time into your week by completing a sketch in one hour or less. You can sketch from life or from a photo - up to you. It's a good idea to time your sketch, keeping it within 30, 45 or 60 minutes. Set a timer, get pastelling and when your time is up, STOP - and share your efforts with us here!

This is a fun way to sharpen your observational skills and try out new pastel techniques.

Take a look at last week's sketches for inspiration in the form of blue flowers, ospreys, ballet dancers, cockerels, landscapes, rams ... and fake cheese!!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=261974

Happy sketching :)

Deborah Secor
04-11-2005, 12:06 PM
I just wanted to poke my head in here and mention that the new April ESP (Exploring Soft Pastels) thread (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=263659) is devoted to thumbnails. If I get a chance I'll shoot some pix of my most recent ones and put them in here. I assume we can show that kind sketch here, can't we?

Deborah

Muffin_4377
04-11-2005, 01:04 PM
I surprised myself when I managed to get this one out in a little over an hr.....did it while watching a movie last night....HAD to give my NuPastels a go.....

Appox. 11"x6" on Canson
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Apr-2005/36417-Sketch1NuPastel.JPG

E-J
04-11-2005, 01:16 PM
Lovely colours, Dania! The red and blue look great together. I like the soft textures, too.

Yes Deborah, it's perfectly fine to post thumbnail sketches here - as long as they are done using some form of pastel, of course :)

Khadres
04-11-2005, 02:04 PM
Ahhh, okay...most of my thumbnails are in black pencil, ink, or charcoal in PREP for pastels. I'll keep them over in Deb's ESP area then. Pastel thumbnails don't work too good for me since they tend to be in tablets and smudge too much altho I sometimes do color ones for palette decisions. If I do any of those, I'll put them here...

Deborah Secor
04-11-2005, 04:00 PM
Yep, I'm in the same boat. Mine are usually pencil... Oh well! Hope we see some neat stuff here this week. I usually lurk here, even when I don't have something to offer. :D

Deborah

khourianya
04-11-2005, 05:08 PM
Here was my contribution to the WDE this week. It took me around an hour

"A Boy and his Blanky"
11 X 14
softies on homemade marble dust board
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Apr-2005/47843-apr8_markblanky.jpg

E-J
04-11-2005, 05:23 PM
Cori, I didn't see the WDE reference images but this is an intriguing comp. Your painting has an abstract quality about it - the shapes are quite flat and that reads as the important thing, rather than realism. Is it the marble dust that enabled you to create such a smooth surface?

Deborah and Sooz, there is always black conté or Nupastel for thumbnails! Think of it as an excuse to try something a little bit out of the ordinary :) I reckon charcoal's acceptable too! Don't want to miss out on your postings!

Deborah Secor
04-11-2005, 07:16 PM
This one is probably a smidgen or two over an hour. I started it in my class last week as a demo and just now finished it. 17x11" , on Wallis toned a deep purple color.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Apr-2005/23609-tree_2nd_st..jpg

I'm questioning the light on the ground and how it's reading... I recomposed it, wiping out a branch on the upper right side that made it look too heavy and bent over.

I may show some of my charcoal sketches, if that's okay... :)

Deborah

Khadres
04-11-2005, 10:30 PM
Ground looks fine to me, Deb! Nice old tree!

Cute kid and blankie, Cori!

I'm busily attacking a bunch of sea shells as a post card this evening...fun fun fun, and I AM trying something different which, however, won't fly here anyway...since it's colored pencils! :p

Anyway, you guys have made a great start to the week!

kordelia
04-12-2005, 12:50 AM
since i've been spending most of my time on WDE, i've been trying everything BUT my favorite sp's.... so this week i made sure i had at least one at about 40 mins 6X9... i hate that 'squared off' tree look, so may play some more...

last week's little 5X7ish Hawaiian Twilite got overlooked completely, he's so placid!!................ well, they posted backwards, but that's the kind of day i've been having, so....... thanx for looking........... :wave:

E-J
04-12-2005, 04:29 AM
Very nice little works, kordelia! May I ask what colour support you used for the seascape?

Deborah, the light looks fine to me too ... I love the way the darks in this one are REALLY dark, and the lights just glow! Bring on the charcoal sketches - we would like to see them.

Bill Foehringer
04-12-2005, 10:29 AM
Welcome Kordelia! Like your colors alot. As for the square tree, you're right, just play with it. I don't think you'd want to shorten it so that leaves the option of making it look like a slightly larger tree that you just cropped off which is fine to do. Take your time. Maybe do a thumbnail sketch to see what shape will look best so that you don't overwork the image. Or just do it over using what you've learned. Have fun! BillF

kordelia
04-12-2005, 01:10 PM
EJ... i do believe it's on a heavy w/c paper, with many, many, MENy, layers...
Bill... now that i've left Elgin, you show up.... where were you when i needed a plein arts buddy???? that's the second 'square' tree i've done... gotta get to 'the root' of this...... :wink2:
thanx for taking the time to comment, both of you!

Karen Margulis
04-13-2005, 07:19 PM
I finally finished my taxes and got my pastels out! :p I feel the beach calling me so I did this from a photo I took last year in Barbados. Its 6x9 on canson and it took about an hour. Now I am inspired to get my photos out and find some more beach scenes!
Karen

Bill Foehringer
04-13-2005, 08:31 PM
This was done over my lunch hour today. "River Lunch 3" Pastel 5x7 on Wallis. BillF

kordelia
04-13-2005, 09:54 PM
karen... i feel your beach calling me, too!!! lovely!! meetcha down by the 2nd cocopalm......

Khadres
04-13-2005, 11:36 PM
Great landscapes kordelia, karen and Bill! Y'all are really goin' great guns! Bill, you must be losing weight AND building a portfolio...how serendipitous is THAT?

E-J
04-14-2005, 10:54 AM
Karen, Bill, lovely little scenes! I am starting to dream of holidays ...

E-J
04-15-2005, 08:59 AM
... and speaking of holidays, don't know if anyone remembers this quick pastel I did back in September from a photo of a trip to Greece ...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Sep-2004/13865-7sept04_1hr.jpg

... but it just went on eBay for £18 (about US$34)! It's one of eight sketches I've done for the Weekly Sketch thread which have sold in the past year. I'd forgotten until I looked up the original thread that this one only took me 30 mins!! Thought I would mention this not to blow my own trumpet but just in case anyone needs extra incentive to keep those sketches coming ... :)

Bill Foehringer
04-15-2005, 11:28 AM
No, I hadn't seen this, it was before my time here, I think. You really caught the mass of the rock and of course the light but without also suggesting the solidity of the rock the light would not have made as much of an impact. What size was this piece? BillF

Khadres
04-15-2005, 11:47 AM
Yep, I remember it. Cool! Always fun to make a few bucks from something done for fun!

E-J
04-15-2005, 12:06 PM
No, I hadn't seen this, it was before my time here, I think. You really caught the mass of the rock and of course the light but without also suggesting the solidity of the rock the light would not have made as much of an impact. What size was this piece? BillF

Thanks Bill. It was about 7"x11".

ann.bun
04-15-2005, 01:38 PM
I need a bit of help wth the shadows. It took about an hour. It was a lovely day here and the sun kept changing! I'm going to post it in another post.
E-J I think I've taken a dinghy from our boat into that cave in Greece, or somewhere very like it! Lovely.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Apr-2005/32435-aubergine_resized.jpg

Khadres
04-15-2005, 02:25 PM
You did beautifully with this, ann! Love that purple! I think the only thing you might have tried out otherwise would have been a bit of contrasting color, either on the plate or better, probably, the whatever that the whole is sitting ON. Then you could've had more colorful shadows, reflected lights, etc. It's quite dramatic the way it is, tho!

ann.bun
04-15-2005, 03:09 PM
Thanks Sooz for your comments. It was sitting on an old black students robe, so that I didnt have the problem of background. I think that you are right. I tried it on a white background, and decided that the black would be easier. Probably not the right attitude!!!

Khadres
04-15-2005, 03:40 PM
LOL, black IS fun to work on! But how bout sitting it on a colorful something or other...could be anything but I kinda think an orange towel or coral colored scarf or something would be fun...think of all the yummy reflections and so on!

prestonsega
04-16-2005, 10:07 PM
Hi E.J....Hey all....so many great works this week that I am going to refrain from commenting individually....Just know they are an impressive collection! :) .

This is a 1 hour OP sketch from a photo taken last week...it almost went to mud, but I stopped just short that......(whew!!)...lol

8"x 10" Sennelier op on Canson Mi teintes

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Apr-2005/29946-op_4-13-05_wayxcanal1.jpg

Khadres
04-16-2005, 10:25 PM
A really nice one, Preston! Yep, if this had been me, it WOULD have gone to mud in a handbasket, let me tell ya! But you did good! Looks like you're having fun with the OPs! Share with us more often!

E-J
04-17-2005, 11:02 AM
Interesting colours in the stream there, Preston. The sketch is chunky and gestural - a bit like oil paint.

Finally, we're enjoying a day of glorious sunshine! I went to sit out in Dean's Meadow this afternoon and did this funny little thing in 50 mins - it's 7x5" in oil pastel. I'm not sure what the building is, but it's right beside Ely Cathedral so probably belongs to the Dean or the Bishop. I am terribly self-conscious about pastelling in a public place but the weather is so gorgeous today that I just had to do it :)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Apr-2005/13865-pleinair170405.jpg

E-J
04-17-2005, 11:39 AM
Ann, sorry I missed your aubergine! My internet access was down yesterday and I couldn't get in to view anyone's work.

I think you've done a super job and I think working on black was a good choice - easier to make those darks really dark. I cannot make a white support work for me. Too difficult to judge what the mid-tones are!