PDA

View Full Version : Where did I go wrong?

Laurie2
04-10-2005, 03:36 AM
I know something is not quite right but I can't pinpoint it...please advise
I did so want this portrait of my daughter Jacquie to work out right. :(
Thanking you in anticipation :D

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Apr-2005/56900-JACQ1.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Apr-2005/56900-JACQ1Bb.jpg

Yorky
04-10-2005, 03:39 AM
You didn't go wrong, Laurie - she's perfect.

This is your style, a little paler than I would paint, but you caught her character spot on! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Doug

Laurie2
04-10-2005, 03:48 AM
:wave: Gosh...that was quick Yorky :)...Thanks....but there has to be something wrong...I just know it...and hubby just laughed when I showed it to him....Do you think if I painted darker it would improve?
Perhaps I am a bit tentative with the paints and brush :)

Yorky
04-10-2005, 04:07 AM
He laughed because of the wonderful smile you have captured.

Wait for a second opinion.

Doug

ripvanblair
04-10-2005, 04:11 AM
This is very good, I think her face is too wide if you can narrow it by shadows it might make you feel happier, there is not a lot wrong with this, on it's own it stands as a pretty good portrait-------------hope this helps------Alan
PS I've thinned her down a wee bit just too show you hope you don't mind
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Apr-2005/3667-56900-JACQ1Bb_01a.jpg

Laurie2
04-10-2005, 04:27 AM
Thanks Yorky...a 2nd opinion is always useful :)

Thankyou Ripvanblair...That was IT...her face was too wide...Thanks a million!

Thanks for your help fellas :D :wave:

pampe
04-10-2005, 10:29 AM
well, ALan beat me to it....not too wide...just longer, I think

nice work, BTW :)

bluegenes
04-10-2005, 10:37 AM
Maybe some darks in the hair to give it some dimension?

Patty

ware4
04-10-2005, 11:02 AM
I agree. You have a wonderful likeness. Thinning the face will help a lot.
The hair could be much darker, but you might also want to strengthen your darks all over a bit.

jspatton
04-10-2005, 03:24 PM
The width of the face was the first thing that caught my eye too. But also, if you lighten the shadow in the creases under her eyes it might make her look more youthful like in the reference photo.

What a great portrait! And shame on hubby for laughing.....mine does that sometimes too. Or he'll just nod and say, "Mmm-hmm...." when he doesn't like one of my paintings. That's when you shove the paint brush in his hand and say, "You try one, Picasso!" :D

mrs willow
04-10-2005, 05:09 PM
Hi Laurie2! I think you have done a good job getting such a good likeness, but I do agree with Kenneth...your darks could be a lot darker. hair could be quite dark as in the photo.
One other thing ... her chin is not actually oval shaped as you have made it. It is more anglar.This could easily be changed with darker shadows areas.
Hope this helps.
Sandy

jaydiva
04-10-2005, 05:20 PM
Laurie, this is a beautiful portrait of your daughter, such a great smile.
maybe a few darker shadows ... but i think it is fine as it is.

Jutta

Laurie2
04-10-2005, 06:11 PM
Thankyou so much for your help and comments.......I thought it was a reasonable likeness too but....it has suffered mightily overnight...couldn't leave it alone and now...I looked at it this morning and I have lost it! :( I think it is irretrievable...Thanks anyway peoples... :) :wave:

Hard to believe it is the same painting Huh?....Talk about a stuff-up!!!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Apr-2005/56900-STUFF1.jpg :mad:

Charles Perera
04-10-2005, 06:37 PM
It is quite a good portrait; a good likeness of the person

Charles

Strawberry Wine
04-10-2005, 07:20 PM
I think a bit more pink to highlight the cheek bones. You are almost there Laurie.

The hair band looks a bit pasted in. If you have one, use your rigger brush, to bring some of the hairs up and over the red hairband.
A bit of a cast shadow from the lip on the teeth would be good too.

I just scrolled down, and read your latest post, Laurie, and I am hearing the discouragment in your post. Keep working on this one and learn from the mistakes you have made and implement some of the suggestions . This painting still may work out to you satisfaction. If NOT; you will learn lots. At which point, you can send it to the recycle bin or you can keep it and look at it a year from now and it will show you how far you have come.

Cheers,

Gail

Gail

Laurie2
04-10-2005, 07:37 PM
I think a bit more pink to highlight the cheek bones. You are almost there Laurie.

I think the hair band looks a bit pasted in. If you have one, use your rigger to bring some of the hairs up and over the red hairband.

I just scrooled down, and read your latest post, Laurie, and I am hearing the discouragment in your post. Keep working on this one and learn from the mistakes you have made and implement some of the suggestions . This painting still may work out to you satisfaction. If NOT; you will learn lots. Then you can send it to the recycle bin or you can keep it and look at it a year from now and it will show you how far you have come.

Cheers,

Gail

Gail

:wave: Hi Gail....Well...yes...I was very despondent...but all in all you are right...everybody has helped although it doesn't show...yet LOL
I'll put it up on the mantel and as I pass it the `wrongs` may leap out at me .
Great set of teeth though Huh?...(I'm quite proud of those teeth...it's all in the upbringing ya know LOL). What colour would you use to lessen their impact ? :D

Laurie2
04-11-2005, 04:30 AM
:clap: :clap: :clap: I think I can still work on this...I masked the face and took the painting of Jacquie down to the laundry and virtually hosed her off...LOL

She's dried off now and it looks as if I can pick up where I left off...a little bit of damage to one side of her face and the background was never going to be successful anyway.. :D

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Apr-2005/56900-STUFF2.jpg

Lesson learned....Never...but never try to hasten the drying process with the hair-dryer if you have frisket/masking anywhere on there...it bonds to the paint and the whole lot comes off together. :(

Laurie2
06-03-2006, 02:42 AM

The hair band looks a bit pasted in. If you have one, use your rigger brush, to bring some of the hairs up and over the red hairband.

I just scrolled down, and read your latest post, Laurie, and I am hearing the discouragment in your post. Keep working on this one and learn from the mistakes you have made and implement some of the suggestions . This painting still may work out to you satisfaction. If NOT; you will learn lots. At which point, you can send it to the recycle bin or you can keep it and look at it a year from now and it will show you how far you have come.

Cheers,

Gail

Gail

Well here we are Gail...more than 12 months down the track and I have decided to try this one again.
The previous attempt is still tucked away someplace but I will start from scratch...this time painting 'A La Bruce'. Bruce Johnson who talked me through my own Self portrait very successfully :)
I intend to use the lessons I learned there and, put together with some of the very useful comments that were originally made during my first attempt...I hope I can show that I have made some progress over the past 12 months....Now...having said all that I must prove it :)

Starting with the Lemon Yellow underwash then 3 washes of Aureolin on the light and Gamboge on the darker areas until the two colours are distinctive from eah other...I adjusted the Gamma to get this image dark enough to show any colour at all...in real life it is very pale.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Jun-2006/56900-JACQ1b.jpg

bruce johnson
06-03-2006, 02:50 AM
I'm watching you !!!!:wave:

Kate Mc
06-03-2006, 03:17 AM
Me too!

Kate

Laurie2
06-03-2006, 03:28 AM
Aw Shucks....making circles in carpet with big toe ....:o

Just kidding...Hope I don't let you down Bruce :)

Hi Kate :):wave:

Aquarelle10
06-03-2006, 03:48 AM
Laurie don't wear out that carpet!;)

I've only just seen this and I'm so sorry to be so late joining in.

I liked your first portrait but agreed that the shadows needed to be stronger particularly at the sides of her face and under her chin.When you sketch make sure the proportions are right.I felt the face needed to be less wide and the chin a tiny bit longer.

I'll try to pop in more often to see how this is developing.Good luck ,I know you can do it!

Jean.:wave:

Yorky
06-03-2006, 04:25 AM
Laurie, as this is now a WIP I'll move it to the Studio.

I'm sure it will be even better than your first one.

Doug

Laurie2
06-03-2006, 05:14 AM
Thank you Yorky....:)

Bob(2)
06-03-2006, 07:49 AM
Hi Laurie, I thought I would drop in here and see if I can give you some suggestions. First, the photograph looks like it was taken with a soft flash. I have always found that a flash can flatten the image. Secondly, I have found that if you can change the photo to grey scale (black and white) it will help you determine the values/shadows:http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Jun-2006/79647-56900-JACQ1.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Jun-2006/79647-56900-JACQ1Bb.jpg

I hope this has help you see what others have been talking about.

The eyes and mouth are very well done. The nose needs some work to make the bridge thinner and the chin need to be a bit longer. All easy to do do with some more painting and scrubbing (very gently).

CharM
06-03-2006, 08:00 AM
Hi Laurie... it's going to be fun watching you develop Jacquie's portrait again... You've grown soooo much...

I'm working on a composition just now, and also followed Bruce's methodology... I was REALLY happy with the results... that yellow is so disconcerting when you first lay it down... hehehe

keysgram
06-03-2006, 09:13 AM
Laurie, I am watching too! I love seeing your wip's...I too learn so much. You are a great gal!:)

Linda

Martina, Vienna
06-03-2006, 11:05 AM
Laurie, I am watching too! I love seeing your wip's...I too learn so much. You are a great gal!:)

LindaHi Laurie!

I just discovered your WIP today.
Make sure your daughter still looks the same, after 1 year. ;)

At the first painting I noticed 2 things: her nose is not so wide, she has a fine "back", the "back" of the nose at the painting was about 120% of the original.

A nose changes a lot!
;-)

Which label are your paints?
Gamboge is not familiar to me, I would like to check out the pigments.

Greetings,
Martina

Laurie2
06-03-2006, 06:07 PM
Hi Jean, Bob, Char, Linda and Martina,

Firstly, thanks Bob...that was my first thought when I looked at the photo...taken by the official photographer for the Edu Dept ...No shadows to work on. I now have a B/W version which is a great help.

Char, getting those washes pale enough was the challenge...firstly I thought my Aureolin wash was too pale, but resisted the temptation to add pigment...Add washes not pigment I tell myself...slow process but much better result.
S'right Bruce Huh? :)

Linda your confidence in me is heartwarming :heart:

Welcome Martina...Luckily I am working from a photograph that does not age. :lol: but you made a good point about the bridge of the nose...Can't imagine why I had not seen that 12 months ago.
I have no preferred labels but the Gamboge I have is M. Graham and the New Gambage is Winsor Newton.

OK...no more chat...back to work.....I will have something to post by tonight...:thumbsup:

Laurie2
06-04-2006, 01:58 AM
I used Irfanview to get this B/W image...Open/Image/Decrease color depth to 2.
Gave me this image:-
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Jun-2006/56900-JACQ2cc.jpg

and here is where I am at present:-
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Jun-2006/56900-JACQ3CCC.jpg
I like to put in eyes early on in the piece...dont like vacant spaces staring back at me...

More tomorrow...the lack of daylight has beaten me tonight. :wave:

bruce johnson
06-04-2006, 03:27 AM
Looking good Laurie... the nostrils are a little wide...good skin tones though...

With the yellow washes.. if you want the face to look like its in the sun then use several washes but if you just want the face to shine don't use a lot of yellow in the first wash.....:thumbsup:

Laurie2
06-04-2006, 04:06 AM
Thanks Bruce...:):thumbsup:

Laurie2
06-04-2006, 06:19 AM
I used my new Variscaler and tweaked the nostrils...:)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Jun-2006/56900-JACQ3CCD.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Jun-2006/56900-JACQ3DD.jpg

Scans make a difference to look of the image

jaydiva
06-04-2006, 06:55 AM
Sorry i'm late, Laurie.
This is another interesting portrait thread, i'll be right here watching

bluegenes
06-04-2006, 10:42 AM
Merit point for perseverance!! New painting looking good. Will keep watching with interest.

Patty

bruce johnson
06-05-2006, 01:11 AM
Yup thats better Laurie...watch out for the shadows under the chin they stand out too much which normally means they're the wrong temperature. Get a piece of overhead projector transparency film and paint a small patch of your proposed shadow colour on it, then place it over the neck area, this is a good way of testing temperature and hue without actually painting it on your paper. Saves a lot of overworking.

Laurie2
06-05-2006, 05:11 AM
Hi Jutta and Patty...Welcome :)

That's a great tip Bruce...will search the study tonight....:)

ameliajordan
06-05-2006, 08:51 PM
This is a great WIP, Laurie. I'll be watching the steps and learning from the comments!

artdreamer1
06-05-2006, 09:41 PM
Watching this closely...just started getting into figures/portraits. I've just finished my first "real" portrait--as in true skin tones versus something monocromatic; I'll post it (hopefully, I won't have too much trouble) as soon as it gets back to me--it's being photographed for slides. Wish I could do a WIP but have no way at the moment to do that. This is looking pretty good so far. Can't wait to see more.

Michele

Laurie2
06-06-2006, 12:25 AM
G'Day Bruce...No luck with the projector transparency...not even a scrap to be found....Is there an alternative?

Ameliia and Michele...Welcome :)...At present I am taking things slowly...
With my self portrait I panicked at the size of my chin and messed around with it...Bruce said "Leave it"...I didn't and went right on and messed up....Sigh
With Jacq's chin I am wary...it looks a trifle long to me but my variscaler tells me it's ok...so maybe when the mouth is finished it will look better.
An image to post later today...all being well :)

bruce johnson
06-06-2006, 12:36 AM
Hi Laurie..

any transparent film will work providing the paint sticks to it.. I've got some extra at home I think so if you can't find any, PM me your home address and I'll send you a piece.

Laurie2
06-06-2006, 03:18 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Jun-2006/56900-COMPARE1.jpghttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Jun-2006/56900-COMP2.jpg

I lifted the pigment from under the chin as best I could Bruce. I can't remember what mix that shadow was ...I think it was BS + Phthalo Blue (rs)
Thanks for the kind offer Bruce...I'll try for it in town tomorrow first :):thumbsup:

Oh gosh I am not happy with that chin...with or without the mouth added ...Sigh
I seem to have added length beneath the highlight on the chin...will do a fixit tonight...:o

Yorky
06-06-2006, 03:51 AM
Forgive me Laurie, but to me the chin looks a tad too long. Also her left ear (although not finished) is looking too large. I think you could narrow the nose a little too, fom the bridge down to the tip.

I applaud your perseverance, I know how difficult this is. I tried several times - and never was satisfied.

Just don't follow what I say - I'm certainly no expert, just have another look - get your variscaler going ;)

Doug

Laurie2
06-06-2006, 04:56 AM
Yup Yorky...we must have cross-posted :) I'm onto that ....:thumbsup:

Laurie2
06-06-2006, 06:48 AM
A famous Australian once told us that 'life was not meant to be easy'...so why should painting a portrait be any different.
I am showing you the end result of a bad line drawing and the probs that can arise....The chin is my main cause for concern...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Jun-2006/56900-OO.jpg

Ear and sides of face will come later. I know what I shall be doing in that area....building up shadows with washes.
However, I have to give the Chin Fixit a great deal of thought so will disappear for 24 hours while I figure this one out...Sorry about that :(

bruce johnson
06-06-2006, 07:22 AM
The chin is little too square still.. If you deepen the shadows all over including the face. you will be able to deepen the shadow in and around the chin which will hide this over working.
The temp under the chin looks very warm to me, Ultra and BS. With way more BS than Ultra

B

Laurie2
06-06-2006, 07:49 AM
Oh Thanks Bruce...you confirmed my thoughts...I realised that deepening all over could extend to a coverup benath the chin...just was not sure which mix to use...Thanks again...I'll sleep better knowing there is a remedy :)
G'Night.:wave:

Laurie2
06-07-2006, 09:25 PM
G'Morning Bruce...No work at all on Weds...spent the day at the HDU in Orange hosptial while hubby had Cardioinversion procedure. Will do a little today but none at all tomorrow as it's my day at the hospital...getting old aint for cissies...sigh.
Did not get time to go looking for the film:crying:
Hope to have something to post before the weekend is out. Cheers :)

AmyLC
06-07-2006, 09:40 PM
original post deleted and edited::

Sheesh!! LOL - I really should read a WHOLE thread before I begin posting! I made comments on the original, then started paging down to see that you've already begun a WONDERFUL re-do.

BRAVA! Keep up the great work.

Amy

Laurie2
06-07-2006, 09:51 PM
original post deleted and edited::

Sheesh!! LOL - I really should read a WHOLE thread before I begin posting! I made comments on the original, then started paging down to see that you've already begun a WONDERFUL re-do.

BRAVA! Keep up the great work.

Amy
Amy the email notice got to me first LOL...Glad you scrolled on down....I was wondering if some pages had dropped off the edge LOL:wave:

bruce johnson
06-07-2006, 11:24 PM
Hope hubbie is OK... Maybe you should do a portrait of him while he laying still :thumbsup:

Cheers Bruce

Laurie2
06-08-2006, 12:01 AM
Hope hubbie is OK... Maybe you should do a portrait of him while he laying still :thumbsup:

Cheers Bruce
He's just fine Thanks Bruce...they gave him a new heartbeat rate a steady 70...He is already teeing up for his next game of golf...
Good thinking re the hubby portrait...He doesn't stay still very long.. so I will be stalking him with the camera at the ready !:cat:

Laurie2
06-08-2006, 01:02 AM
Update on Jacquie

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Jun-2006/56900-JACQUIE1.jpg

That chin just does not want to soften...It does not look so angular in real life...but the scan seems to pick up previous work...sigh

but on the up side..... DH reckons it is very like her.....:)

Tweaked that chin a tad.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Jun-2006/56900-COMP3.jpg

bruce johnson
06-08-2006, 02:25 AM
Looking really good.. the cheeks need some more work with modelling, try and puff them out a bit using colour temperature and value in the right places..

Laurie2
06-09-2006, 05:08 AM
Going to Greyscale to check values so I decided to do both the latest update and also the ref . I recommend F11 on your keyboard for this post :)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Jun-2006/56900-BW2.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Jun-2006/56900-BW1.jpg

Is it an optical illusion that Greyscale images look smaller?:confused:

Laurie2
06-09-2006, 07:43 PM
Update...started washes on background and modelling cheeks....
Before and after...
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Jun-2006/56900-COMP4.jpg

puglover
06-09-2006, 07:57 PM
Hmm I reckon her face needs to be longer XD

Laurie2
06-09-2006, 11:42 PM
Hmm I reckon her face needs to be longer XD
Scanned a little short...a photo will be better.

Laurie2
06-10-2006, 08:57 PM
Update...I took a break from working on the features and concentrated on the background. It helps me to get the face into perpective...I think...:)
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Jun-2006/56900-JACQUIE6.jpg

Note: It is very overcast today and no good light for photography.:p

bruce johnson
06-10-2006, 10:16 PM
Laurie this is looking brilliant...I'll be coming to you for lessons from now on:clap: :clap: :thumbsup:

Laurie2
06-10-2006, 11:39 PM
Thank you so very much Bruce...I feel that my work improved enormously under your guidance and I shall be eternally grateful :)...Also...you have given me confidence ...and that is no mean feat :)
Bless yer cotton sockies :):thumbsup:

Laurie2
06-12-2006, 12:21 AM
Worked on lips and teeth, jumper and shirt collar....
There is Masking Fluid on the hair now, ready to work on curls and ribbon, which is making the head look a tad flat...Back later.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Jun-2006/56900-JACQUIE7.jpg

bruce johnson
06-12-2006, 02:31 AM
You're going so well Laurie...

I've started my first o*l pinting in the portraiture forum if you want to have a look...not as easy as I thought it would be...I think I prefer watercolour I would have finished by now...

Laurie2
06-12-2006, 02:43 AM
I have been searching for the right thread...Duh!...Got myself lost and still did not find it...Help

Yorky
06-12-2006, 03:30 AM
This is coming on nicely Laurie.

Doug

Laurie2
06-12-2006, 05:28 AM
For comparison:- From .......To..........
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Jun-2006/56900-COMP5.jpg

Laurie2
06-20-2006, 03:03 AM
Slightly darkened skin tones and narrowed the face (Daughter's opinion ..Sigh):rolleyes:
Beginning to work on hair....some debate as to what colour it should be ...another Sigh :p

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Jun-2006/56900-JACQUI8b.jpg

AnnieR
06-27-2006, 01:17 AM
Just wanted to jump in and say that your portrait is looking amazing! Much improved from the first try, and the previous pictures of this try. Good job!

Laurie2
06-27-2006, 01:52 AM
Thank you Annie....I have been taking a break for the past few days and have no updates to add at this time...It should soon be finished though :)