PDA

View Full Version : bellow, o/c, 25x27 inches, 2001

AmyH
12-17-2001, 02:37 AM
hi,

some of you have seen this on my site. since it has dried, I was able to scan a section. you can see how it's put together better now.

please don't alter the image, thanks. :D

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Dec-2001/bellowfinal.JPG

kelly
12-17-2001, 10:28 AM
This is really Intense Amy. Is this a change in method for you? I asked this on your site but didnt check what you said...

cagathoc
12-17-2001, 10:38 AM
So strong. I think the contrast between the strength of the expression and intense composition combined with the muted colors is intensely effective.

Really takes me into another realm -

AmyH
12-17-2001, 11:28 AM
thanks guys,

yeah kelly it is, as far as paint application.

amy

djstar
12-17-2001, 01:12 PM
As usual the sound of your whirring brain is as loud as the image in the piece. I am exhausted when viewing the effort and input in almost all of your work!
I think I almost recognize the face from a wonderful line drawing a few months ago.
I have a question about your vision.
NOT to be taken the wrong way... hopefully you will enjoy it, but... some of these introspective self renderings give me the feeling of life reflected in the skin of a toaster.
The subtle distortion is rather consistent, but for the direction and I am curious... JUST CURIOUS about if you use other tools.
Such as camera lenses, funhouse mirrors or the like?
I like the new direction with paint these days. I am more distant from your commentary linear stuff. I just enjoy your relationship with color.
dj*
(PS... thanks for showing us again. I would understand if we had to view you on your site from now on, but I know it is a leap of faith coming back and putting it on the line...STAY ANGRY! love ya
dj*)

colorme
12-17-2001, 02:27 PM
hey Amy! i'm glad you’re posting in here again:), this does remind me of that drawing you did, i like this style a lot too w/ the paint. excellent detail too.

ps. i don't think anybody will be messing w/ your pictures again :p

AmyH
12-17-2001, 06:55 PM
dj, thanks for looking and commenting. yes distortion funhouse mirrors someone elses eyeglasses bring it on. :)

colorme, thanks for looking. the rules are; if ya don't want it touched ya must say s. you can look forward to seeing the statement: "please do not alter the image" on every image I post from here on out.

amy

scottb
12-17-2001, 07:48 PM
Hi there, Amy.

Another idea might be to put it in your signature line as well. Something like "Note: Please refrain from modifying any images that I post to this site", etc.

Give 'em 2 chances to see it - lol.

Cheers.
Scott

mame
12-17-2001, 07:59 PM
As I recall the right side of the figure's hat spills over the edge of the canvas and the 'V" made by the hat is just off center which for me makes for more tension and visual dynamic-ness (is this a word?)

Like how the eye "mixes" the colors. Was it Rothko who did the criss-cross compositions? Can never remember.

AmyH
12-17-2001, 08:19 PM
hi scott, thought about putting it in my signature, then worried someone would say they thought it was a quote, lol.

mame, thanks. I don't recall any rothkos, but I wouldn't doubt it. I know philip guston (in his "abstract impressionist" pieces) did something similar with "atmosphere" as did/does susan rothenberg.

after that linear black and white binge, this is really engrossing.

amy

mame
12-17-2001, 08:41 PM
Yup, I think you're right re Guston. Enjoy seeing you're exploration/transition into color again.

Gisela
12-18-2001, 12:58 AM
Really intense work Amy. I really appreciate that you showed a detail - fantastic brushwork.

Gisela

TeAnne
12-18-2001, 07:43 AM
It's good to see your work again Amy. I often look but don't comment because I don't know enough about abstract to make a comment. (Too literal I am)
I did wnat to let you know I was here this time. :) I like this one, I couldn't do anything like this in a million years. Well done and thought out. Congrats. :)

timelady
12-18-2001, 03:29 PM
Little hints of Chuck Close too, who technically I find fascinating.

I like it, still reminds me of other portrait pictures you've posted so not so much of a departure. :) Love the distortion, maybe I should paint *without* my glasses on more often! (PS. Good to see you back)

Tina.

AmyH
12-18-2001, 09:56 PM
thanks everyone.

my husband also says there are hints of chuck close.

have heard it said (although I think in jest) that the impressionists didn't wear glasses.

if anyone is having trouble focusing on detail too much, rather than basic areas of color, tone, etc, it sure could help. :D

amy

djstar
12-18-2001, 10:25 PM
Yup! I think Monet had eye surgery and Degas only one, or some such thing.
I recommend always wearing reading glasses. Especially for far away. Up close, it DOES help a little to see to mix paint. and make sure it ends up on the canvas, but everything else...nah.
One of the elegant discoveries that came with advancing years!
dj*

Ginette
12-18-2001, 11:39 PM
Makes me think of a vision coming out of white noise, here it's colorful noise.

I like it!

Ginette