PDA

View Full Version : Hard white rubber eraser!

meowmeow
04-09-2005, 09:37 AM
When Dianna Ponting lived here for a while a couple of months ago she talked about using a hard white rubber eraser to remove pastel, sometimes in a fine line in order to put something into a painting.
Never wanting to pass up an opportunity to buy something new (:D)the last time I was in an art store I had to pick one up. I think I mentioned previously that I had used it with great success on Art Spectrum. Well last night when I wanted to rework my tree - and smaller it a bit I started to pick up my toothbrush but then saw the hard white rubber eraser and decided to try that. Amazing! Just one or two easy swipes and voila! The top of the tree was gone...right down to the underpainting. This was on Wallis. Then I ran it down the sides of the tree and had the same result. It is really a fabulous tool.
Even when the edges seem kind of dirty it works fine. Just run it over the pastel, wipe it off and go again. I have not done this but I assume if I need a fine edge I can just slice it with a razor blade.
Terrific, cheap tool! What could be better!!!
Of course it wouldnot be unreasonable to ask me what type I have but I don't know! :D It probably isn't exactly "hard" either...I just looked on Blick. It is long and white and has what appear to be little flowers or something on it. doh!

Sandy

Paula Ford
04-09-2005, 12:15 PM
Hey Sandy, that eraser sounds great! Have you got a link to it?

Paula

meowmeow
04-09-2005, 12:56 PM
I feel kind of silly about this, Paula! After I posted I thought it would be helpful if I could give more information, like the name of the eraser. I went and got the eraser but there is no name on it, just these werd sort of tupid flower designs, although I am not sure they are flowers.
I seem to recall it came with a thing cardboard wrapper and I found soemthing on Blick that looks like it might be the one...although when I did the "close up" of the eraser pictured there I don't see any design on it. But I did buy it at one of the Blick stores.
My guess is any smooth white eraser would work but then again, maybe not. Maybe someone else will know what it is. Here is the link to Blick's erasers:

http://www.dickblick.com/categories/erasers/

Maybe I will try to find Dianna's post about it. Doh!

Sandy

Deborah Secor
04-09-2005, 02:01 PM
The one I've used for years is a white PLASTIC eraser, which might or might not be the same thing. Mine is the Sanford Magic Rub, which is on the Dick Blick page. It works as you describe, Sandy. Great tool--and it's very helpful to clean pastel smudges off of mats too!

Deborah

lindadavis
04-09-2005, 02:14 PM
Do you guys work on Wallis with the white eraser? I used white erasers for years with pastel, but that was before I used Wallis. I hadn't even thought of using it on Wallis.

Deborah Secor
04-09-2005, 02:24 PM
Yup, Linda, I do. It works quite well to take out parts. I like to tone my paper with a layer of pastel rubbed in place and do an underdrawing with charcoal. Then I can 'wipe out' the lighter areas with the white plastic eraser. I also use it for adjustments in a painting in progress sometimes.

Deborah

meowmeow
04-09-2005, 04:15 PM
THanks Deborah....I figured one of you "old timers" would know what it was! :D
I couldn't find the post I was looking for where I think Dianna even put in a photo of her tools...but I did find a mention by her of an eraser pencil which is not electric but automatic or something. I think I saw it on Dakota....I am thinking from the descriptions that any good white eraser will work. Funny how you never think of something so obvious.
If you just want to remove a bit then a kneaded eraser is best I think, but sometimes you realy need to get back down to the paper and this is terrific.

Sandy

Kathryn Wilson
04-09-2005, 04:41 PM
Hi Guys - mind if I ask a question? The link you gave us Sandy shows lots of erasers - which one are you talking about?

Dee - I have a very hard eraser I bought from Jerry's - should it be a kneaded eraser - the one I have you can't knead.

:wave:

meowmeow
04-09-2005, 05:02 PM
Hi Kat! The one I hAve looks like the Factis one but I think Deborah has a different one. But I don't think there is any harm done....justr try with the one you have and see what happens.
By the way, I was on my way out the door to come up to Maine when I did this but I quickly tried the eraser on a bit of oil pastel and I think it worked with that too...but not sure it did quite as well. I didn't have time to really play with it.
I think any reasonably studry eraser probably works...but play around and see what happens.

Sandy

Trilby
04-09-2005, 05:41 PM
I've tried the Factis White Eraser. It works pretty well. I would like to find blu tack as I have read that it will take it to the paper as though nothing was ever there. The eraser I really like is the eraser stick available from Dick Blick. It can be sharpened and comes with a holder. as it wears down a push on the tip of the holder releases a measured length of the eraser. It does only a small surface at a time but does it cleanly. Its great for restoring catch lights in the eye when they have been dusted over.
TJ

Kathryn Wilson
04-09-2005, 06:53 PM
You guys were just in time - I had a bush that I was not fond of in a WDE entry - took just an eraser I had handy and it took off what I didn't want. Oh, it's nice to be pasteling again. I figured I could at least get off an hour painting for the WDE.

Dark_Shades
04-09-2005, 07:09 PM
I've tried the Factis White Eraser. It works pretty well. I would like to find blu tack as I have read that it will take it to the paper as though nothing was ever there. The eraser I really like is the eraser stick available from Dick Blick. It can be sharpened and comes with a holder. as it wears down a push on the tip of the holder releases a measured length of the eraser. It does only a small surface at a time but does it cleanly. Its great for restoring catch lights in the eye when they have been dusted over.
TJ

Thanks for the reminder about Blu Tack TJ ......... Mike Sibley might sell you some
Blu Tack (http://www.sibleyfineart.com/) Check on Right Handside of WebPage....... there is a Tutorial too on how to use it

Trilby
04-09-2005, 08:59 PM
Sandy, thankyou so much for starting this thread. As a result I have spent the most delightful afternoon with coffee and popcorn reading through the 8 pages of Dianne's thread on her painting of her grandchildren having a picnic. I went on a search for her post about the eraser. Here is the URL:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=241175&page=5&pp=15

The erasers she uses are the Stadetler Mars, but any white eraser works she says, as well as the tuff stuff eraser stick form Dick Blick and Click's eraser stick which is larger in diameter.

What a charming, talented lady with a generous spirit. What lucky grandchildren and nieces to have the memories she is creating with them. What a really splendid afternoon she has given me.
TJ

meowmeow
04-09-2005, 09:38 PM
Thanks TJ! I knew there was a picture somewhere...I just didn't have time to go through the whole thread before I left.

Yes, Dianna only started 2 posts here in the Pastel Forum, but they were both wonderfuly helpful and her artwork is fabulous.

Someone recently just came back from a workshop with her, I think.

Glad people are enjoying their erasers! :D

Sandy

t-sue
04-09-2005, 10:54 PM
Hi Sandy! Great thread! Funny that you started this one... a few weeks ago I had just pulled out an old acrylic eraser and sliced it at an angle to straighten up a leaning edge on the barn in the lake scene... it worked great since I was painting on the watercolor paper. Hadn't thought about using it on Wallis.... great idea!!!!! (I finally just got my first Wallis... and I cannot wait to use it!!! Haven't painted a thing since the hot glue incident :( ) The acrylic eraser is super for many other mediums as well. I used to use it to move or remove wet acrylics and it works equally as well on wet oils. Think I first started using the Magic Rub in the mid 70's... it's super for removing pencil sketch lines "through" dried watercolor without removing the watercolor!!! :cool: The General's Factis works great, too.... in fact, any of the white vinyl or white plastic erasers should do the trick! Like Dawn, I hear that the BluTack is TERRIFIC!! Haven't tried any myself yet, but I'm workin' on getting some. I have tried a similar, but lesser quality, brand that you can readily get at Wal Mart (think it's called Duck Removable Poster Putty...) It's VERY soft and VERY sticky! If you need to lift just a top layer or so of pastel, even just a speck, just touch gently with a piece of this stuff and it picks up a layer at a time... and it's much easier to knead the dust in that a kneaded eraser that is much firmer and more difficult to knead. When I was doing that little pot of hydrangeas, some flecks from the dark pot had gotten on the light background... I shaped the blue, cheap stuff into a point, gently touched and picked up only the offending little flecks without disturbing the background at all.

Think if we have the white eraser (retractable stick and large rectangles), the cheap walmart poster putty, and the Blu Tack... we'll be all set!!! Shopping anyone?????

meowmeow
04-10-2005, 09:15 AM
What is this blu tack stuff? I am wondering if it is the stuff you use in dollhouses to tack things down. Interesting.
Any information about things that will make painting better is terrific. I think we all use little tools and methods we don't even think about anymore but which would help other people. It's always fun to share!
It's funny how using a basicaly plain eraser turns out to be such a simple, helpful thing but it never occurred to me to use it all this time. I always used the kneaded eraser and a brush, which helps but doesn't get you back down to the underpainting or paper that easily and neatly.

SAndy

Khadres
04-10-2005, 10:51 AM
Wow, is this the Twilight Zone??? I just bought an inexpensive electric eraser with white fillers yesterday and tried it on colored pencil on Canson and it's FABULOUS! Hadn't gotten around to tryin' it on pastels yet, tho!

The really neat thing it does with colored pencils is FINE line erasures right down to the paper...you'd never know it had ever been covered! AND I even covered the paper heavily with colored pencil layers and then gently removed just part and wound up with instand fabric folds by partially erasing the shadows! Such fun!

I actually have the Factis one, too, just had never gotten around to using it, but wouldn't it be great for larger areas? The nifty thing too is that it leaves almost NO crumbs! Tis magic, I tell ye!

Trilby
04-10-2005, 01:49 PM
Blu Tac is a putty like substance used to hang posters without nails or to secure an oversized candle in a holder, etc. It's sometimes found in USA but often is hard to find, but is common in England. Other such putties are not as effective as Blu Tac. You use like a kneadable eraser, being sure to dab and knead, dab and knead. It's slow but effective. Further up this thread Dark Shades (Dawn) has given a link to an article about the stuff.

Say, what type of electric eraser, and how inexpensive. True electric or battery?
TJ

Susan Borgas
04-10-2005, 07:54 PM
Blu Tac is common place on the supermarket shop shelves here in Australia. I tend to kneed my ball of Blu Tac in my hands while working, keeping my hands clean at the same time as well as exercising my fingers, which tend to stiffen up. Before placing my used pastel back in the tray, I swipe it across the Blu Tac, which saves a lot of cleaning up later. Mmmmm that reminds me, mine is so black from use that I must add Blu Tac to my shopping list.

Cheers, Susan

t-sue
04-10-2005, 08:07 PM
Blu Tac is common place on the supermarket shop shelves here in Australia. I tend to kneed my ball of Blu Tac in my hands while working, keeping my hands clean at the same time as well as exercising my fingers, which tend to stiffen up. Before placing my used pastel back in the tray, I swipe it across the Blu Tac, which saves a lot of cleaning up later. Mmmmm that reminds me, mine is so black from use that I must add Blu Tac to my shopping list.

Cheers, Susan
:clap: What a great idea, Susan.... using the Blu Tac to clean hands and pastels, give relief to aching fingers, as well as addressing "issues" on a painting!!! :clap: Just wish it were so easy to obtain over here! :(

Khadres
04-11-2005, 01:19 AM
Tammy, you can use your kneaded rubber (or as the Brits say, putty rubber) the same way as blue tac. In fact one of the pastel videos I have shows the artist constantly restretching and rolling his kneaded eraser as he talks...once you warm it up with your hands it gets easier to manipulate, too.

t-sue
04-11-2005, 01:30 AM
Thanks, Sooz! I'll give it another try. Is it tru that Blu-Tac is a little stickier though? Having never used the stuff, I don't know... but the graphite artists swear by it. Do like that Duck brand really, really sticky stuff for certain things. It isn't as firm for erasing deeply, but it picks up a layer at a time very nicely, and teeny-tiny bits at that without disturbing what you don't want to move. I understand that Uhu makes a blue poster putty... that's readily available, so maybe I'll give it a try as well. Hope the poster putty people don't get wind of the fact that artists are using their stuff or the prices will go out of site!!!! :wink2:

Karen Margulis
04-11-2005, 10:32 AM
After reading about this Blu Tack, I want to try some!! :p I found a US source for $2.99 + $1.75 Shipping. I ordered some so hopefully I will get to give it a try soon. In case you're interested here's the link I found: http://www.glubie.com/01_Pages/Blu-Tack.htm

Karen

Trilby
04-11-2005, 01:10 PM
Karn, Thanks so much for posting the link for a USA source of Blu Tac. I understand that a ball of it lasts a very long time and holds much pastel residue. Any way I'm ordering two units, tempted to get the whole darn box of 12 :)
TJ

t-sue
04-11-2005, 09:52 PM
Thanks for the link, Karen!!!!! I'm with TJ... a box of 12 would be much more economical... especially when you consider the overall savings on shipping! The hardest thing about ordering small amounts of anything on line is to rationalize the shipping cost!

Got a lot of Georgia folks around WC... Might see if they want to share a box!

Thanks again!!

terence p
04-12-2005, 12:00 AM
The information here is really helpful. I had started using the Wallis paper a few months ago and have had problems in finding a way to remove and or correct some of the work. Ill have to find the erasers people have been talking about.

I havent read of anyone mentioning use of the chamois cloth on other types of paper, such as Canson. I have used it for years and it lifts the pastel right off. The art stores sell little sheets and is expensive for the little quantity. But it can be bought much cheaper in large sheets in auto stores or places like BJ's and then cut into smaller pieces. The chamois however doesnt work well on the Wallis which is why Im so happy to read about the other types of erasers.

Trilby
04-12-2005, 12:04 PM
I'm glad to learn that chamois can be used to remove pastel; I thought it was just used for some blending effects. Thanks, Terry.
TJ

meowmeow
04-12-2005, 02:32 PM
Thanks Karen. I had to have some too! :D

Sandy

ponting
05-09-2005, 07:04 PM
Hello Sandy

I just popped in here today and low and behold...there you are talking about me behind my back......and saying good things too. :p

In case you are have wondered, I have not died....not even close, only spending time one the road but home now. Must get myself a laptop before my UK trip or I will go nuts.

My pencil erasers are made by Tuff Stuff (1/8" thick) and available in Michaels craft stores and various other 1/4 inch brands like Sanford and Pentel. To see the photo you would have to type The Making of a Picnic into the WC search. I am sorry but I would find the right page and link there if I knew how to go about it.

Nice to know that I am missed as much as I have missed WC. I will endeavour to post something soon. In the meantime I am going off to view some more wonderful artwork......Cheers, Dianna