PDA

View Full Version : red torch WIP

pattie r.
04-08-2005, 03:41 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/04-08-2005/28340_red_torch_wip_WC.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: red torch WIP
Year Created: 2005
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 36 x 36
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This canvas was primed with rose pink and turps. The colors aro built up with glazes of transparent reds. The only part that is reallly "finished" is the bottom left corner... There is still more to go on the petals that appear finished, deeper reds etc., but I wanted to share this, I am so far happy with the progress....

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I am not really sure how to handle the top right of the background, the reference has a splash of bright white which is the sky through the trees. I dont want to overwhelm the background with more leaves (which are not all finished by the way), but I am not sure whether I want to add more colors, e.g., blues for the sky, or what. The vertical gold stems will be deep reds as the one on the left side heading out of the picture (they are the stalks)..Any comments appreciated as always....pattie

Anita Murphy
04-08-2005, 04:31 PM
Luscious colours! Maybe some more of the blue for the top?

Londondeon
04-08-2005, 05:34 PM
So far it is spectacular. I would like to see some of those dark textured areas repeated in the upper portion to make the light on the top of the flower more dramatic. Maybe a few more banana type leaves in there too. But definitely mostly dark to make the flower more dramatic. You can play with it in Adobe Photoshop to see what you can get before painting if you are feeling faint-hearted about it.
Londondeon

pattie r.
04-08-2005, 08:40 PM
Thanks for the tip about PhotoShop...I try to hard to keep away from the computer during painting time that sometimes I forget what a great tool it can be for things like that! I will post another photo later...Today its all about the petals....aloha, pattie

corfublue
04-08-2005, 11:34 PM
I owuld be reluctant to isolate part of the painting as finished. I thin you have to work the whole thing together. As you change things in one area you have to be open to the possibility that you will have to change some hings in the finished area. Looks like it will be a strong piece.

pattie r.
04-13-2005, 01:16 AM
Well, I guess these two arent very different, but in any case, I have nearly finished this. The background is hard, I just wanted to suggest the splash of colors in the garden without overpowering the piece. I will be posting in the open critique when I am finished, but in the meantime, if anything needs tweaking, by all means let me know.

by the way, this should have said red torch ginger, that would have made more sense!

thanks and aloha, pattie

pattie r.
04-13-2005, 01:18 AM
by the way, the colors on the final photo of piece are more true to life, it's pretty bright!!!

LisaArt
04-13-2005, 07:09 AM
Pattie, Gorgeous painting. Love your bold colours and style...right up my alley..Bravo :clap:

Anita Murphy
04-13-2005, 08:34 AM
Super Pattie - its looking wonderful!

Gilberte
04-13-2005, 02:23 PM
Unusual but very interesting.