PDA

View Full Version : face-need advice!

MORF_MAN
04-07-2005, 04:26 PM
Hey all, this being my first post, i believe its adequate that i seek advice on my first oil painting. I'd like to know what anybody thinks about the hair on this girl.. and yes its a girl! I dont know what to do about the color/style of it ( i haven't done eyebrows/ lashes yet because the color of brows sorta coincides with the hair dont it?) but yeah.. any advice/comments would be great!!!

flawless_bone
04-08-2005, 03:15 PM
Hi and welcome!
I like the shading a lot on this head, and generally the colors. Very nice to look at. I am not a big help when it comes to faces but maybe the white space under the pupils is too much and a bit disturbing.
I think the modelling is just great.
Keep the progress posted! :)

MORF_MAN
04-08-2005, 03:22 PM
hey thanks alot for the advice, ill make sure to put the shading of the eyes in when im finished.. but here's what i've got done so far... the backgrounds too simple and i could use some ideas for that!!

Mikey
04-09-2005, 06:50 AM
Hi Joe, it looks like you've got the idea that the head is three dimensional well enough, the way the nose is modelled and that you have hidden part of the face behinf the nose. Well done. Now you have to draw the eyes the same way, so the wrap round the round face. Think of something wrapping round a cylinder and you'll get the idea. Think how the eye to the girls right eye will be foreshortened and change shape. It will help if you can spend time learning to see, looking at people someone who wont mind, and photos taken at different angles. And remember that the eyes are in sockets.

Mikey

MORF_MAN
04-11-2005, 08:28 PM
well... i think ive got the first layer of hair done... hoping that i can fix up some minor problems later too.. but the hair really does make her look more like a girl eh? ---also, i still need some ideas for the background -- im stuck!! -- thanks everyone
-joe

Grunge
04-15-2005, 09:17 PM
Your eye shading is reversed. where the light hits the eye you should see a darker area around that highlight. then when the light travels to the other side of the eye the coloured part of the eye should be lit up. you might also add a shadow across the eye from the upper eye lit. these little tricks will make your eyes look much more realistic. also, remember not to go super white with the white of the eye. After all, it isn't really white. add a touch of yellow. Don't strive to have your eyes be exactly like each other either. no two eyes are exactly alike. allow the colours to be a little dappled, perhaps, and the shapes of the lids to be a little more distinct unto themselves.