PDA

View Full Version : new schmincke colours

jackiesimmonds
04-07-2005, 04:07 AM
Just to let you know that Schmincke have introduced a lot of new colours to their range - about 21, plus some pearlised ones. Lots of new yellows and blues.

If you want to see them "in action", as it were, have a look in the soft pastels studio threads for my thread "demo to wip", and you will see the new colours used for that pic.

They are all in a new colour chart from Schmincke.

J

Khadres
04-07-2005, 11:14 AM
I've been searching for the new color chart online...Dakota actually claims they have 120 new colors and are withdrawing one, making their full set 400 in all now. More money, of course, but I'm sure the new ones are yummy.

Paula Ford
04-07-2005, 10:20 PM
I've been searching for the new color chart online...Dakota actually claims they have 120 new colors and are withdrawing one, making their full set 400 in all now. More money, of course, but I'm sure the new ones are yummy.

Oh I'm drooling to see the new colors. Just went looking at Dakota tonight looking for Wallis paper and saw that Schminke had 120 new colors!

Khadres
04-08-2005, 01:35 AM
Hey, Paula, good to see you survived your move! Where are all the pics???? :D

jackiesimmonds
04-08-2005, 03:45 AM
I have the colour chart, and these are the new colours. There are five shades to each colour, marked "N" on the chart:

Titanium Yellow
Vanadium Yellow Light
Vanadium Yelow Deep
Orange Light
Vermilion
Scarlet
Bordeaux
Quinacridone violet
Managanese violet
Delft Blue
Pthalo Blue Deep
Indigo Tone
Bluise Green deep
Cerulean Blue
Cobalt Turquoise
Cold Green Deep
Phthalo Green Deep
Leaf Green Deep
Walnut Brown
Cold Grey
Reddish Grey

also new to the collection

White pearl
yellow pearl
rose pearl
blue pearl
green pearl.

Then, these are not marked "N", but they are listed separately, perhaps because they are not broken down into shades:

redviolet
reddish violet deep
ultramarine blue deep
olive green deep
dark brown
black
serious black
gold
silver
white

If you add up all the "N" colours, you get 105. If you add in this list above, you get 120, but I am sure they had a black, and a white before! So I this 120 figure being bandied about isn't totally accurate. Most odd.

Anyway.....

You can find the colours within these colour charts from the Schmincke website:

http://www.schmincke.de/data/content/uk/uk_index.htm

Khadres
04-08-2005, 07:57 AM
Well, Dakota is selling a 120 color set to supplement the old "complete" one...maybe it's because they ALWAYS stick ya with a black and a while and a couple greys in ANY set ya buy that it comes out to 120? In any case, it sounds great to have such an array of new colors! Now I just have to scrape up some cashola and try some of them out!

PS...just check out the Dakota site again and it's 102 new colors according to them, not 120. Y'all KNEW I was dyslexic, didn't ya? :D I also went to the Schmincke site, but although some of the colors showed up in the chart, I couldn't find hide nor hair of Delft blue...am I just blind or what? Always looking for the perfect blue!

Bill Foehringer
04-08-2005, 08:59 AM
I hear ya Sooz. I'm not even going to look at the new colors because I can't buy them anyway. As a matter of fact as my current supply dwindles from my almost daily painting I can see where I'll have to start using oils that I inherited from my father-in-law if I want to keep painting. Dear spouse is on 14 medications and with the large co-pays we are always cash poor. I took quite a chance buying the supplies I have now. But worth every penny. Painting is my future, I just have to work out the details, like learning how to be an artist, LOL. Bill

jackiesimmonds
04-08-2005, 10:52 AM
Sooz, it may not be on the Schmincke site, but I promise you I didn't imagine it! :) Here is the page of the colour chart I was given (by Schmincke - I did a magazine review of some of the new colours, but theyonly gave me 36, not the whole howevermanythereare and I dont make it 102 still I'm not complaining cos they were free.....)

The Delft Blue is No. 600, and is the bottom one on this sheet, in five shades as usual - B (darkest) D, H, M and O (lightest) The darker ones, funnily enough, are the most lightfast.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Apr-2005/1805-schmincke.jpg

You can see on this chart that the new ones are marked with an "N". There are 21 rows of 5. 21x5 = 105. So, for some strange reason, Dakota have left out 3 of the new sticks. Or maybe Schmincke did, if they packed them up.

??????????? I wonder which ones they left out?

Jackie

Khadres
04-08-2005, 07:11 PM
That blue looks yummy, doesn't it? I don't know...the numbers game is so weird with art stuff anyway. I recently saw a "kit" offered by some mfr. on eBay...was supposed to be umpteen dozen pieces to this thing and when you read the fine print that included stuff like a CARDBOARD palette (this was an oil painting "set", two small sample pieces of canvas cloth, and a color chart, not to mention several other nearly useless items that should have been thrown in gratis. You just have to be very careful...ala buyer beware, I guess.

And yes, I'd say if they were free, who CARES how many?? :D

Khadres
04-08-2005, 07:17 PM
Bill, I understand what you're saying about medicine costs, believe me! My hubby and I are beginning to look like single-handed pharmacies around here, as well. Our co-pay mores than doubled this year, to boot, and don't forget the giant leap in the basic premiums! If it's this bad for those of us WITH insurance, it has to be completely hopeless for the many who are WITHOUT! And THEN you turn around and find out that this stuff they've told you to take to make you BETTER is actually apt to KILL you instead! Bleah...I think I'll go live out in the woods somewhere...

jackiesimmonds
04-10-2005, 02:16 AM
Bill, I understand what you're saying about medicine costs, believe me! My hubby and I are beginning to look like single-handed pharmacies around here, as well. Our co-pay mores than doubled this year, to boot, and don't forget the giant leap in the basic premiums! If it's this bad for those of us WITH insurance, it has to be completely hopeless for the many who are WITHOUT! And THEN you turn around and find out that this stuff they've told you to take to make you BETTER is actually apt to KILL you instead! Bleah...I think I'll go live out in the woods somewhere...

oh dear. Well, if you go live in the woods, make sure to take your painting kit. And a gun - I just read Bill Bryson's book and I know there are bears in them thar woods.....

J

Khadres
04-10-2005, 06:28 AM
Ha, Jackie! What better way to study nature than whilst running from bears?? But not THIS weekend! Supposed to be blizzard conditions (although I'm sure it won't happen on our block, mind you...that would ruin our desert ambience!) and the bears are at that cranky, just-waking-up stage!

BTW, I went by our one and only local pastel purveyor yesterday and lo and behold, the place where they ordinarily keep Schminckes was EMPTY. Upon enquiry, i was told that they were at that moment moving all the pastels from their old display and to their new one which is to include an array of new colors...and did I want to go in the back and look? Sure enough, they had two extremely dusty and color-streaked male students back there ohhhing and ahhhing over the new shipment.

I couldn't wait around, but I did snap up three shades of Delft blue and headed for the checkout counter with them and some other purchases. Long story short, I got home shortly afterwards to find that my shopping bag contained everything I'd purchased EXCEPT the Schminckes! I checked my sales slip and nope...they weren't listed either. In all the excitement over the new pastel shipment, my Delfts must have been left in a box, overlooked by the cashier. Ah, well. I can get 'em cheaper mail order anyway...:(

jackiesimmonds
04-10-2005, 10:03 AM
Oh poor you! But at least you know you like the Delft Blue ... I think it is a gorgeous blue, and you will find it very useful in landscape painting.

Jackie

Khadres
04-11-2005, 03:49 PM
I think the Delft blue is actually quite close to the Art Spectrum blue I like so much and this is bound to be even softer! Woohoo! I do wish the fineartstore.com site would update their listing since they're about the only online store who shows swatches of the colors which are really pretty accurate from my experience.

HarvestMoon
04-11-2005, 04:58 PM
I am drooling over the new colors at the Dakota site as well as the new Mt. Vision colors.... I want to buy EVERYTHING on the Dakota site but alas my Master Card says nary a penny more....

jackiesimmonds
04-12-2005, 01:37 AM
I think the Delft blue is actually quite close to the Art Spectrum blue I like so much and this is bound to be even softer! Woohoo! I do wish the fineartstore.com site would update their listing since they're about the only online store who shows swatches of the colors which are really pretty accurate from my experience.

why not get a Schmincke colour chart - you could ask them direct for one, from their website, if you cannot get one from a local store.

J

Khadres
04-12-2005, 09:02 AM
Good idea, Jackie!

HarvestMoon
04-12-2005, 03:13 PM
Khadras- I have tried Art Spectrum and found the gummed labels a problem- when I try to use the side of a fresh stick it will not go on paper well, the gummed portion of the pastel gets in the way until sanded. Is this a problem for you? I would love the delft blue too.... :cat:

Khadres
04-12-2005, 03:22 PM
I know what you mean about the labels on the AS pastels! I have gotten around it, so far, by stripping the wrapper and then wrapping each stick for just a few seconds in a DAMP (not too wet) cloth and sliding them out to dry off...seems to take the glue off them fairly easily...I DO like the way they've scored their wrappers...makes it a bit easier to remove them, at least. I hadn't thought of sanding the glue off...sounds dusty! I do love the AS blues and especially the Jacarandas! Yum!

BTW. welcome to the forum! I take it you're an experienced pastellist, just new to the forum?

HarvestMoon
04-16-2005, 09:46 AM
I would not say I am as experienced of a pastelist as obsessed... I have been doing art on and off since I was a kid- mostly using colored pencils- I was generally work-obsessive but in a business that goes up and down- so when I was unemployeed I had time to do art. For five years though, I traveled internationally and have wonderful colored pencils. Last year, my husband (at my pointing to them on the website saying THIS WOULD BE A FINE BIRTHDAY PRESENT) gave me pastel pencils. I was hooked, but would sharpen them to death.... had tried pastels 30 or so years ago and while people say they liked the pictures I found them to be not that appealing. I was using Rembrants and Nupastels since that is all they had here. Since I am in seeming permanant unemployment and the kids are in school, I now have time and started poking around in art stores. I discovered really great pastels, then like a kid had to try them all - each was better and better or at least more useful for somthing :-) So for the past 6 months have been cranking out 2-3 pictures daily (yes, building up quite a pile but constantly exploring) guess what everyone gets for Christmas? I have succeded in my first goal- having the kids say they liked something I did - my toughest audience :angel: I have no digital camera but enjoy looking at everyones work- I would give my right arm to live near Pike's Peak- I live near Austin, TX and it is the allergy capitol of the world I think. Austin is a wonderful town, but spent months in Colorado in the mountains, have seen Alaska- don't know if I could take the cold though. Would miss the cactus and scorpions :D

Khadres
04-16-2005, 10:46 AM
LOL...well, I kinda miss the bluebonnets and prickly pears, too! And the giant old spreading oak trees! I guess every place has its beauty if one looks long enough!

See if you know someone with a digital camera and photo software...maybe they'll take pics of your work and then you can share with us! Don't be shy!

Sounds as if you and I have both become unemployed by default...the last company I worked for no longer exists since the bust post 911. Since then, the pay scale here has gone ever downward and we finally figured out that if I did return to work, the income would be mostly eaten up by higher taxes...so I'm "retired" so to speak.

I had been away from art for almost 20 years when I discovered what gorgeous work pastellists were doing these days! I was hooked even before I bought my first stick! I also hope to dust off my oils again one day and have been playing around with colored pencils, as well. It's all good!

HarvestMoon
05-01-2005, 12:49 PM
So have anyone ordered the 102 new set??? If so, what do you think??

HarvestMoon
05-07-2005, 05:18 PM
There is a photo of the new full set of schmincke colors on the FineArtStore.com site with the beautiful blues out in front:
http://www.fineartstore.com/cgistore/store.cgi?page=/new/product.html&setup=1&ida=15792&idp=2&his=0|2&cart_id=479736.3768

Khadres
05-07-2005, 06:36 PM
They do look lovely, but NO...I have NO MORE ROOM (no more money either, far as that goes!)! If I get a new color chart somewhere, I may order some individual sticks but no more sets! purples, you and I would be downright DANGEROUS on a shopping spree together! The thought is really scarey! :D

HarvestMoon
05-07-2005, 08:18 PM
OK Sooz, we will keep a few states between us- the dogs would probably not all get along once we took them for hamburgers anyway! Wait until the Jerrys store has them (they do not have them on their web site even) but I will let you know when our store gets them in- then you can go down your mountain :angel: to find that Jerrys in the little town you told me about and scarf them up!

Jackie- it is the humans in the woods you worry about- not the bears! Just give them your picnic basket.... BTW watched your Pastel Workout video Sooz loaned me (I sent her my first born for a loan)- to go with the book I ordered- you are a truly gifted and talented teacher. Learned more in one 55 min. session than I have messing around on my own for years. Makes me KNOW I do not deserve all these wonderful pastels- I love them anyway though and will keep trying. I could never quite 'wrap my head around' the color wheel before. Loved the last painting, but the tree demo was EXTREMELY effective.

Muminami
05-08-2005, 02:51 PM

There is an online color chart of all 400 colors at Schmincke's homepage: Schmincke Color Chart (http://www.schmincke.de/media/pdf/pastell.pdf)

HarvestMoon
05-08-2005, 05:58 PM
Thanks for the great chart- suppose we should stock up on the discontinued color and make a fortune on ebay? :D Well, now that you know the colors, Dakota's has the new colors open stock.....

Khadres
05-08-2005, 07:59 PM
Thanks for that link! Now I know what to order! :D